U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,831,482 times

Advertisements

We differ in our understanding of this verse for one reason, ILNC, because of the translations that we use. We are not seeing it the same way.

16for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.
(Young's Literal)

16 For thus God loves the world, so that He gives His only-begotten Son, that everyone who is believing in Him should not be perishing, but may be having life eonian.
(Concordant Literal)

God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 PM

21,427 posts, read 29,579,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
We differ in our understanding of this verse for one reason, ILNC, because of the translations that we use. We are not seeing it the same way.

16for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.
(Young's Literal)

16 For thus God loves the world, so that He gives His only-begotten Son, that everyone who is believing in Him should not be perishing, but may be having life eonian.
(Concordant Literal)

God bless.
How can you not think God is loving reading either of those?

Old 10-31-2008, 10:25 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,051,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Righteous Judge:

Psalm 9:8 (NIV) He will judge the world in righteousness; he will govern the peoples with justice.

Psalm 82:8 (NIV) Rise up, O God, judge the earth, for all the nations are your inheritance.

Isaiah 3:13 (NIV) The LORD takes his place in court; he rises to judge the people.

Ezekiel 20:36 (NIV) As I judged your fathers in the desert of the land of Egypt, so I will judge you, declares the Sovereign LORD.

Revelation 6:9-10 (NIV) When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?"

Whenever the character of God is discussed, it just simply amazes me how many forget this aspect of God. Yes, God is love. Yes, God is merciful and longsuffering.... BUT not for all eternity. There will come a day when we must answer for ourselves. It seems many like to gloss over this, becuase it is a disturbing thought and it upsets many, believer and non-believer alike. However, the above passages from both the OT and NT make it clear, we will all one day be judged by the Righteous Judge. I am thankful and praise God that I have Jesus as my advocate. How about you?
Yes, I too am thankful my sin has been judged and that Christ Jesus is my Advocate....now and forever!!

As I was reading your post this scripture came to my heart....

1 Peter 4:17-19
For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?
Now "If the righteous one is scarcely saved, where will the ungodly and the sinner appear?
Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
How can you not think God is loving reading either of those?
God is loving regardless of the translation, ILNC. God bless.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:28 PM

21,427 posts, read 29,579,247 times
Quote:
God is loving regardless of the translation, ILNC. God bless.
Yes He is loving, I was using Scripture to back that up. There are more verses that do the same.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 PM

Yes, there are many. Thanks for sharing. God bless.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
God is merciful and longsuffering.... BUT not for all eternity.
From the perspective of one who believes in the reconciliation of all to God, I believe that God will always be a God of mercy and longsuffering, but don't believe that God will need to demonstrate His mercifulness and longsuffering for all of eternity because there will be no need to , when He becomes all in all. (1 Cor. 15) There will be no need to because there will be no more sin, imperfection, missing of the mark, need to repent. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-31-2008 at 11:29 PM..

Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 PM

3,581 posts, read 458,427 times
Quote:
Amen.

God is agape love and God has no beginning or end. Love has no beginning or end. I do believe that God never stops loving, even those who may be against Him. Remember they are said to be lost, blind, held captive and I believe that the love, light, truth, mercy, justice, power of God will bring victory in reclaiming all for Him. I believe that God's mercy triumphs over judgment. God bless.
Shana,

Matt 18:11-13

Mat 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Mat 18:12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?

Mat 18:13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that [sheep], than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.

G622
ἀπόλλυμι
apollumi
ap-ol'-loo-mee
From G575 and the base of G3639; to destroy fully (reflexively to perish, or lose), literally or figuratively: - destroy, die, lose, mar, perish.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The same word is used for the lost in Matt 18 and for those that perish that do not believe. in John 3:16

Jesus came to save that which was lost/perished/destroyed. God has promised that the unrighteous will be destroyed. Those that believe in eternal torment don't believe that mercy will be shown after judgement and after the destruction, that the lost will be saved after judgement - they believe that for some mercy will not be shown. Resurrection means life from death.

G386
ἀνάστασις
anastasis
an-as'-tas-is
From G450; a standing up again, that is, (literally) a resurrection from death (individual, general or by implication (its author)), or (figuratively) a (moral) recovery (of spiritual truth): - raised to life again, resurrection, rise from the dead, that should rise, rising again.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks for sharing, Meerkat. Just like the woman who lost her coin. It's the same word. She lost it but she later found it. Many things have perished, been lost, but this is temporary in many cases and as you shared, Jesus came to seek and save the lost. I believe that God's judgments will have the full effect that He intended them to have, leading to restoration. I've heard it shared like this, that God will destroy His enemies by making them His friends. Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess (gladly) that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:11) God bless.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 PM

3,581 posts, read 458,427 times
Luk 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and [to] the evil.

Luk 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity