U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM
 
1,932 posts, read 4,262,042 times
Reputation: 1233

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Illusive.
2 Chronicles 26:5 (NIV) He sought God during the days of Zechariah, who instructed him in the fear [a] of God. As long as he sought the LORD, God gave him success.

2 Chronicles 31:21 (NIV) In everything that he undertook in the service of God's temple and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered.

Psalm 34:4 (NIV) I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

Romans 10:17 (NIV) Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 AM
 
116 posts, read 278,359 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
2 Chronicles 26:5 (NIV) He sought God during the days of Zechariah, who instructed him in the fear [a] of God. As long as he sought the LORD, God gave him success.

2 Chronicles 31:21 (NIV) In everything that he undertook in the service of God's temple and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered.

Psalm 34:4 (NIV) I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

Romans 10:17 (NIV) Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
I tried to Rep you, but it wouldn't let me. LOL Anyway, I LOVE these verses! They're so inspiring and hopeful! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM
 
7,788 posts, read 10,461,224 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

Yea. Like trying to embrace...

a sound wave.

Exactly!

Because the moment you try to define and/or capture the note within the soundwave, it is gone...The more one tries, the more illusive/elusive it becomes. Music, in June's opinion, just "is." Not necessarily easily defined. One can put down notes on a page, compose, but that is not "music." As one listens to music, it flows...One cannot grasp onto, and capture it in it's entirety, yet that does not mean that the experience of listening to it has no merit; no experiential substance. It's just hard to capture the substance...


June does not have a dictionary at work, in her office. Hence, the correct spelling of the word she is using is driving her nuts!


(But she's sure you more or less get her drift...)


Take gentle silent care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 04:15 PM
 
Location: All around the world.....
2,886 posts, read 7,368,899 times
Reputation: 1044
Holy ;
did anyone say that one yet??
I'm getting on board a little late, and haven't read the other replies yet
But Holy Kaddosh
25 And unto whom do ye liken Me, And am I equal? saith the Holy One. 26 Lift up on high your eyes, And see--who hath prepared these? He who is bringing out by number their host, To all of them by name He calleth, By abundance of strength (And he is strong in power) not one is lacking.
Isaiah 40:25-26 (YLT)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
 
Location: All around the world.....
2,886 posts, read 7,368,899 times
Reputation: 1044
Adonai Ha'Elohim Hakkodosh
The Holy God I Samuel 6:20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 04:44 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,476,632 times
Reputation: 3755
June, I hope you did not think I was criticizing the word you used. "illusive" is a perfectly good word. Actually I misread it at first,that is why I put both words into my post.
Synonyms for 'illusive' are deceptive,misleading,delusive,illusional, beguiling, tricky, specious, seeming, apparent; hallucinary, fanciful, fancied, imaginary, imagined, fictional, untrue, fallacious, false. Whew!

Synonyms for "elusive" are evasive, elusory, slippery, fugitive; indefinable, intangible, impalpable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Socialist Republik of Amerika
6,212 posts, read 11,466,106 times
Reputation: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Exactly!

Because the moment you try to define and/or capture the note within the soundwave, it is gone...The more one tries, the more illusive/elusive it becomes. Music, in June's opinion, just "is." Not necessarily easily defined. One can put down notes on a page, compose, but that is not "music." As one listens to music, it flows...One cannot grasp onto, and capture it in it's entirety, yet that does not mean that the experience of listening to it has no merit; no experiential substance. It's just hard to capture the substance...


June does not have a dictionary at work, in her office. Hence, the correct spelling of the word she is using is driving her nuts!


(But she's sure you more or less get her drift...)


Take gentle silent care.
It's not meant to be held, it is meant to be amplified by the listener, in other words, learn the melody and repeat it.

godspeed,

freedom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 PM
 
7,788 posts, read 10,461,224 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post



June, I hope you did not think I was criticizing the word you used. "illusive" is a perfectly good word. Actually I misread it at first,that is why I put both words into my post.


Synonyms for 'illusive' are deceptive,misleading,delusive,illusional, beguiling, tricky, specious, seeming, apparent; hallucinary, fanciful, fancied, imaginary, imagined, fictional, untrue, fallacious, false. Whew!

Synonyms for "elusive" are evasive, elusory, slippery, fugitive; indefinable, intangible, impalpable.

June didn't think you were criticizing her. Actually, she is grateful for the fact that at least one of us had a dictionary on hand!

The wierd thing is, June initially was thinking "illusive." Then she switched to "elusive." Then she wasn't quite sure. Then she thought: "Maybe some from column A, and some from column B...But once she began to mix and match, she just became far too confused. Now she just flat out doesn't know.

Actually, she does, but without a thesarus handy, she ain't tellin'!




Take gentle grammatical care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 PM
 
1,932 posts, read 4,262,042 times
Reputation: 1233
Sorry to be away so long from this thread.... life happens, ya know?

But, my experience this past week has reminded me of yet another one of God's characteristics:

Support/Strength

Exodus 15:2 (NIV) - The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Proverbs 18:10 (NIV) - The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.

Ephesians 3:16 (NIV) - I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being,...

Philippians 4:13 (NIV) - I can do everything through him who gives me strength

Ruth 2:12 (NIV) - May the LORD repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge.

II Samuel 2:23 (NIV) - my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savioró...

We, as humans, can and do go through quite a bit on our own, thinking we need nothing or no one except ourselves. I was humbled to remember that I don't have to go it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 01:34 AM
 
4,047 posts, read 4,380,319 times
Reputation: 1321
I've wondered about certain characteristics of God: I hear he is supposed to be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent/all-loving. It seems like these are mutually exclusive, given our world.

An omnipotent and omniscient god would be able to change the rules so that innocent people did not suffer. If he were all-loving, he would care and do this. People say "it's for the greater good eventually," but omnipotence means he controls the means and ends, and can change the means if he wanted to.

The only way to justify an all-loving and omniscient god would be to say he is not omnipotent, and therefore can't change that which breaks his heart.

If he is omnipotent and all-loving, then the only reason he would not choose to change the rules would be because he cannot see how the world would turn out, thus not omniscient.

So, given our world, where there is no justice in who suffers and who does not without human laws, a creator of such a world can be only two of the three characteristics at any given time. If all three were true, we would live in a perfect world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top