U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:26 PM

3,981 posts, read 5,349,308 times

Advertisements

What is your thoughts on this ? Is reading a book to yourself as beneficial as communicating to others on a computer?

The first is giving only yourself pleasure. The second is reaching out to people all over the world.

The reason I posted this is because it was suggested that being on the computer is "worldly", and that it would be better to read books, to pass away the time. The last of that sentence is my take on what the suggester meant.

By "being on the computer" I am meaning posting on forums...such as this one.

Last edited by Towhee; 10-29-2008 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,717,072 times
I think the computer is better but nothing beats sharing your faith one on one. Talk about an adrenaline rush.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:38 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,348,829 times
I do think I get a lot out of this forum. But I love to read. And sharing my faith, like fundamentalist said is the best!
I do think I learn some things from the posting but not so sure we are presenting Christ to non-believers from this forum.
Even though this is cyber space I feel I sort of know some of the people posting.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:40 PM

11,524 posts, read 8,983,665 times
Quote:
What is your thoughts on this ? Is reading a book to yourself as beneficial as communicating to others on a computer?

The first is giving only yourself pleasure. The second is reaching out to people all over the world.

The reason I posted this is because it was suggested that being on the computer is "worldly", and that it would be better to read books, to pass away the time. The last of that sentence is my take on what the suggester meant.

By "being on the computer" I am meaning posting on forums...such as this one
Hi, I don't think that one is better than the other. You can gain knowledge, information, and/or insights by being on the Internet and you can gain knowledge through reading a book. The knowledge that you gain can result in helping others,and in sharing your faith, so I don't think that it is necessarily selfish whether you are on the computer or reading a book. Both of them can involve positive interaction depending on you use it, imo. God bless.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 PM

12,393 posts, read 14,913,139 times
Well, I guess I enjoy the best of both worlds I love to read; everything from Historical novels, to poetry, to nonfiction to how to do books. Even as a little girl, I remember watching my parents read and longing to learn..I also read things on the computer, and have learned so much..Then I discovered cd and found a way to meet people, share our beliefs and make some great friends..and perhaps make someone smile or feel good about themselves and maybe share a little of Christian behavior and love in the process

Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 PM

3,981 posts, read 5,349,308 times
But I do not just post on this forum. I have posted on a Garden Web forum for at least 5 years and have made lots of friends there. It is one of my connections with the outside, since I do not get out often. I love the connection with other people. You certainly do not have that by reading books.
I used to read a lot, but I would get so involved I would neglect what needed done. Besides, my husband seems to have a problem when I pick up something to read, while he is indoors, ( and that is almost all the time now). My being on the computer doesn't effect him the same way. I share things of interest with him. It is getting harder to do, since he is getting more and more deaf.
I have lots of good books, and may get back to reading, if my situation allows.... As of now, I just read the newspapers and the Reader's Digest, after he has gone to bed ( and I am not on here .. ).

Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 PM

7,462 posts, read 7,077,421 times
Default Long post written instead of reading a book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post

Is reading a book to yourself as beneficial as communicating to others on a computer?
Books.

Always.

All day, any day: Books.

One of the things that June is old enough to find sorrow in is the fact that there is an entire generation out there that hates to read. They would far rather spend time online, and in some respects June suspects they are far more "computer oriented" than oriented towards books. Information can be obtained so much faster online. That being said, June would find it such a ridiculous luxury to just be able to sit and read...June has no doubt that there is far more instant gratification in communicating on a forum such as this, as it is interactive, and immediate. It's also interpersonal. One is able to feel far more of a "give and take" dynamic.

Charles Dickens never responded to me in a post. (June is somewhat curious, however, whether he would have liked to, if he could have...) --But nonetheless, what June has read in books has spoken to her in such a way that little else can compete, at times. It's not just the knowledge gleaned, or the stories she enjoyed. There is something so much more tangible (for June) in reading a book. You have to open it. Turn pages. Put it back on the shelf when you're done, like some friend who holds portions of your silent memories.

--It is the act of sitting, silently, interacting with the characters or the content, and her own thoughts that attracts June. It is June using her imagination without even paying attention to the act of doing so. It's the entering into, with so much more concentration, for vastly extended periods of time. --But still coming away with something.

The one thing that June misses in her life the most is reading. One of the major reasons June doesn't read as much any more is that she (brace yourselves!) discovered the Religion and Philosophy forum. And the Christianity forum. -And the Atheist subforum.

June is well aware of the fact that she could be reading right now, (as she glances over at that pile of "to be read" books) however, she is writing this post...So what's a June to do?

She suspects she needs to regain balance. She'll figure it out. Because there is also something so very rewarding about reading other people's thoughts and posts. And interacting. And getting to know people; to learn from them and be challenged by them. And yes, there are indeed some aspects to being on here that June fully acknowledges she could not have come away with having by simply having read a book...

This forum alone is like a book for which there is always another page. And most interesting of all, the characters can talk back!

Take gentle care.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:40 AM

6,594 posts, read 8,666,350 times
I suppose it depends on how you look at it. I am both an avid reader and an avid internet/forum user. I probably read books as much as I post on this forum. And yet, what's interesting is that because this forum has given me a way to express thoughts of mine that I initially may have had from reading something, it has also allowed me to step just ever so carefully outside of the box and further immerse myself in perhaps an idea that came to me when replying to someone.

I can count no fewer than ten books off the top of my head that I have read as a result of something that I researched while responding to someone on the forum or because of something said on this forum that interested me.

So, in a way, I use this forum as a learning tool just as much as I do books. And, yes, there are elements outside of this forum that books seem to have a much better grasp on. I read Robinson Crusoe a little while ago and I can't say a single post on this forum has made me think so deeply and analagously as that simple book that was written 300 years ago (or more?). But, that's not to say that the people who post on here are bad posters because they're not, there's just an element of a story or a book that can't quite be captured in a post.

Ultimately, the way I use the forum and the way I use books are in tandem with one another. I learn and enjoy from each of them and although you would never know it because you're not me, a lot of my posts are reflective of something I've just read in a book somewhere. I try to use the two to my advantage to ultimately get a sense of objective opinions. That's the best we can really do.

So, I think that to say that one is better than the other doesn't really satiate me very well. The two are different. There is no doubt about that. But, each has its benefits and drawbacks that when put together tend to null one another out.

By the way, one important thing about reading books is a sense of proper grammar and spelling. WE KNOW YOU CAN'T GET THAT ON A FORUM!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:55 AM

3,927 posts, read 5,704,507 times
Ahh, two passions of mine. I've always been such an avid reader. Devoured so many that I can't believe I have not made myself go blind!!!

I have learned so very much from books, about other countries and cultures, how to do things, furthering my walk with Christ, relationships, and history.

I also love the internet. Being lonely and able to post a question and have someone respond, maybe even a conversation on dm, it fills the void and I find I make friends. Then I find that I have learned so very much from them, and also here cd is so full of information.

I don't know if I could do without either, as trooper said, they can and most often do work together in and thru me.

DH is not a reader, nor is he a computer person. He plasters himself in front of the tv for a brief time and then heads to bed.

Books and my computer can take me any where I wish to go, teach me whatever I need to learn. .....yet.....the need for human contact still exists and sometimes it overtakes the seeker in me and I must fill my need for that contact.

I do think I am a better informed and hopefully better person from both books and the computer.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 AM

2,933 posts, read 2,177,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
And yet, what's interesting is that because this forum has given me a way to express thoughts of mine that I initially may have had from reading something, it has also allowed me to step just ever so carefully outside of the box and further immerse myself in perhaps an idea that came to me when replying to someone.

So, in a way, I use this forum as a learning tool
I have definitely found this forum to be educational ............ and fun - I have explored a lot that has been discussed in the threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity