U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-30-2008, 01:18 PM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,268,636 times
Reputation: 530

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Funny you should ask that because I never felt "eternal salvation" was some sort of carrot [or threat] that should impact how we behave as Christians. There is enough there to say, looks like there is a further plan, but not something I really dwell on. It is hard enough to surrender and follow on this earth than to be thinking about another.

I guess that, to me, is why we are "freed from the law"- it should be in our hearts and we do what glorifies God and benefits man. period. We willingly subject ourselves to civil laws because humans seem to need them. Sinning is not about violating specific codes - it is about doing or not doing something that can have a negative impact on other people, God's creation, or is offensive to God.

Civil Laws exist at any point of time for a people at a point in time. Now the Bible tells me how to treat my slaves --- and I take that it means it is ok to own other human beings? No, we know that is wrong.

We can't ignore sin because it is our natural state and we strive, with Christ, to transcend that. If we revert to "the Law" we might as well become Jews again.
The human mind is an amazing thing, both a wonder and a curse.

What about the other old religions that are still around? Buddhism, Hinduism, they've been around ages and ages and they don't seem to have any issues with the Christian God striking them down or anything. So they muist be doing something correct if they still survive as unrelated religions. Maybe none of them mean anything and all this strife is for nothing.

Is the afterlife just what we make it in our mortal minds? Seem like it would be an easier existence to have been something other than human. Just live to eat and procreate. No worries other than that.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,561,355 times
Reputation: 4461
Do I condone sin? No.

But here’s my take on our sinful nature:

God’s strongest condemnation against sin was under the Law of Moses (OT). The standard was drawn, and His holiness was not to be defied. John the Baptist preached under this same provision.

Enter the new covenant – the covenant of His blood. What was a type and shadow is now more than just representation, it is a people living in Him – God with us. Our sinful nature was crucified at Calvary, and the outflow is our death to the old nature. That which is born of God knows no sin.

So God is not telling us not to sin (simply do not do this or that), but to accept Him and then shed the very nature of sin – a much deeper order. This new Man doesn’t have to walk a fine line – He has fulfilled the Law, and cannot sin. So what then, do we sin because the penalty has been paid? Of course not, Paul asked and answered this same query.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Socialist Republik of Amerika
6,212 posts, read 11,459,480 times
Reputation: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
The human mind is an amazing thing, both a wonder and a curse.

What about the other old religions that are still around? Buddhism, Hinduism, they've been around ages and ages and they don't seem to have any issues with the Christian God striking them down or anything. So they muist be doing something correct if they still survive as unrelated religions. Maybe none of them mean anything and all this strife is for nothing.

Is the afterlife just what we make it in our mortal minds? Seem like it would be an easier existence to have been something other than human. Just live to eat and procreate. No worries other than that.

Some of the highest moments in my life have been brought about through struggle and hard work.

There is an end game, whether we wish to embrace it or not... it's still there, and it won't go away... eternity is forever.

godspeed,

freedom
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 02:22 PM
 
3,627 posts, read 12,418,294 times
Reputation: 2682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
The human mind is an amazing thing, both a wonder and a curse.

What about the other old religions that are still around? Buddhism, Hinduism, they've been around ages and ages and they don't seem to have any issues with the Christian God striking them down or anything. So they muist be doing something correct if they still survive as unrelated religions. Maybe none of them mean anything and all this strife is for nothing.

Is the afterlife just what we make it in our mortal minds? Seem like it would be an easier existence to have been something other than human. Just live to eat and procreate. No worries other than that.
What about the other religions? I am not going to answer that one because I don't know. I know what the Bible says, but I don't know if that message is addressed to the Jews [first audience] or to the rest of the world. All I can do is share my faith and witness to them and try to live my life in a way that impacts them in a good way.

What about the afterlife? I believe it, but I am not sure what it means and am not too absorbed by it and don't really think about it. Though that whole resurecction of the body thing bothers me at this point - working on accepting that one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 12,774,189 times
Reputation: 2278
Default Yes. It would be worth it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
what happens if you just die and nothing happens? Was all this worth it?
Your question deserves an answer.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is something past our life on earth and,...

Yes. There are things that I "gave up"... according to the standards of the world.
No doubt, my life has changed.

To you, I'm probably not as "cool" as I once was.
(just so you know, there was a time that I prided myself in how "cool" I was...)

But, the amazing fact of knowing God's love and His forgiveness and feeling His presence in my life makes everything I've "given up" worth it.

The journey that I've been on since accepting Jesus as my Savior hasn't always been a bed of roses but I've never been alone.

There's nothing in this world that compares!

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-30-2008 at 02:48 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 03:00 PM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,561,355 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Though that whole resurecction of the body thing bothers me at this point - working on accepting that one.
I think that has more to do with this life - Moses (for instance) was a 120 years old when he died, "and his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 PM
 
3,577 posts, read 455,442 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Do I condone sin? No.

But here’s my take on our sinful nature:

God’s strongest condemnation against sin was under the Law of Moses (OT). The standard was drawn, and His holiness was not to be defied. John the Baptist preached under this same provision.

Enter the new covenant – the covenant of His blood. What was a type and shadow is now more than just representation, it is a people living in Him – God with us. Our sinful nature was crucified at Calvary, and the outflow is our death to the old nature. That which is born of God knows no sin.

So God is not telling us not to sin (simply do not do this or that), but to accept Him and then shed the very nature of sin – a much deeper order. This new Man doesn’t have to walk a fine line – He has fulfilled the Law, and cannot sin. So what then, do we sin because the penalty has been paid? Of course not, Paul asked and answered this same query.
Yes, agreed

"So God is not telling us not to sin (simply do not do this or that), but to accept Him and then shed the very nature of sin – a much deeper order." We are subject not to the letter of the law but to the spirit of the law - the letter of the law can be manipulated and bent but the spirit can not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
 
3,627 posts, read 12,418,294 times
Reputation: 2682
little elmer and meerkat2 - AMEN

That does not mean "anything goes" it means, as you say a much deeper order and one requiring full surrender.

Not there yet ................. not sure I will ever get there .................thankfully there is still confession and absolution. But that is the vision.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,465 posts, read 21,217,203 times
Reputation: 17686
Many times we ignore our own sins, because we spend too much time looking for the sin in everyone else..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 05:22 PM
 
9,727 posts, read 3,447,305 times
Reputation: 10761
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Yes, I long to live in a society where, if I was raped, I would probably be killed by my family for causing them disgrace ............ where, as a woman, I would be counted as an inferior being ...... I would rather be dead.


I was not advocating Islam. I was simply using it as an example and comparison. I was comparing their zeal for their God and the American Christians lack of zeal. And before everyone jumps on me, I am only talking about most American Christians, not all. I know many wonderful godly people who don't compromise, which does not mean they don't fail at times. We are all a work in progress, including myself!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top