U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
396 posts, read 730,562 times
Reputation: 107

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Excellent point. I am a music director and a core member for Life Teen. I believe we also need to evangalize our own.
LOL...Life Teen...I haven't been to a Life Teen Mass in YEARS! Talk about a blast from the past.

 
Old 11-01-2008, 06:20 AM
 
Location: among the chaos
2,136 posts, read 4,303,726 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
At a time when many Catholics are headed towards the exits don't you think the Church should deal with why people are leaving before you sound the horn to go out and try to evangelize others?
This was pretty much my initial thought when I read the OP. I find that many 'cradle Catholics', especially the older generations, don't really know enough about their faith. So when the younger generation comes along and says, "grandma, why do we do this?", grandma can only answer, "because that is the way that it has always been". I have seen many of the "younger generations", probably starting with my age group of 40-55, leaving the Church just because it 'feels good' at another church. That is actually what brought me to the Catholic faith. I was very content in my 'feel good' church, but there was just something missing. I found that 'something' in the Catholic Church and I will work hard to teach my children the 'love' of their own faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I, one-hundred percent, agree. On the surface, I agree with what St. Francis of Assisi when he said: "Preach the gospel at all times -- If necessary, use words." However, I think Catholics have taken that to an extreme.

All you Catholics out there, be a good witness to your faith, but don't be afraid to stick up for Catholicism and don't be afraid to tell folks what a blessing it is to be Catholic.
I think the first step here is knowing how to stick up for the Catholic faith. Many times, we just don't have the right answers. It can be intimidating going up against a person who can quote you Bible verse forward and backward. I know that I am not properly versed in defending my faith on a biblical level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Excellent point. I am a music director and a core member for Life Teen. I believe we also need to evangalize our own.
Amen!

AaronK,
Am I remembering right that you are a new convert? I remember when I first converted that I gave a testimony at my parish during each Mass. I felt drawn to speak to my fellow parishoners about the fire that I was feeling in my soul and to also call out to those that were not full Catholics. Next time you take the Eucarist, look around your parish and see how many sit back. Those are the people that I felt called to draw into the church. Why are they not joining us at the table?

<><
 
Old 11-01-2008, 06:23 AM
 
Location: among the chaos
2,136 posts, read 4,303,726 times
Reputation: 980
I also wanted to say how very nice it is to read a Catholic thread that no one has come in and started bashing! I was hesitant to even read it. Nice post, Aaron.
 
Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 AM
 
3,627 posts, read 12,402,826 times
Reputation: 2682
I would hope not to bash Roman Catholics - we are different but not so different [though I think you believe protestants have not been saved]

I do think that evangelism is best done to the unchurched, but I can see where, if that is really your belief, you would reach out to protestants.

I also think anyone looking at a new church really understand the doctrinal foundations of that church before they join and not join because of a political stance.

I would assume that Roman Catholics probably make outsiders attend classes to understand the doctrinial stances of the Church and where it stands relative to other church bodies. I would hope any denomination would do that. I know mine does.
 
Old 11-01-2008, 06:41 AM
 
Location: among the chaos
2,136 posts, read 4,303,726 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I would hope not to bash Roman Catholics - we are different but not so different [though I think you believe protestants have not been saved].
GrannyNancy,
You are fairly new to the little world of CD. Usually when you put the word Catholic in the title, it is in open invitation to jump in and let us Catholics know how wrong we are. I have even gone so far as to put in my OP somthing to the effect of, this is not a place to bash Catholics, so if you have nothing nice to say, stay out. I was then told that we have freedom of speech and we Catolics should be told how wrong we are. Some of the posters here believe that it is their God given duty to set us straight and they can be relentless.

The Catholic Church does teach her followers that she is the One True Church, however, she does not teach that you are unsaved. I can find you the actual wording if you are interested.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I would assume that Roman Catholics probably make outsiders attend classes to understand the doctrinial stances of the Church and where it stands relative to other church bodies. I would hope any denomination would do that. I know mine does.
ANYONE can attend the Catholic Church. However, if you wish to convert to Catholicism, yes, there are classes. It took me 3+ years to come to full conversion.
 
Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 AM
 
3,627 posts, read 12,402,826 times
Reputation: 2682
weatherologist -

I have seen the bashing for, as a Lutheran in the South, I have been condemned to Hell by many but God for much of my life. I have seen so many "The Catholic Menace" tracts shoved into bathroom stalls it is laughable[sadly]. Like I said in another post, most fundamentalists consider anyone who baptizes babies to be in league with the devil.

As a Lutheran, I consider Roman Catholics to be fully saved Children of God. We differ on some doctirinal points, the inerrancy of the pope, the sacraments, and the what is accomplished by the eucharist [though we do believe in the real presence] but none of those differences, I think, impacts our salvation.

Yes, we are open to anyone. In some Lutheran churches the sacrament of Holy Communion is available to all Baptized believers whereas in others, availability is restricted; I have seen the same in RC denominations - I think the *rule* is only RC's may take communion, but I have certainly been at Masses where it was available to all.

As you should know, our churches have been in dialogue for years - since Vatican II. For Luther never saw us as a seperate church -Many inroads have been made with other protestants - but the gap between protestant and catholic is somewhat bigger than the gap between mainline protestants. But bless those who keep working on reunifying the church as one.

I guess my first response to the first post was "what catholics stood up for" - what does that mean? Theology or politics, if politics is it papal edicts or what RCs *really* believe [not always in lock-step with the pope, who is supposed to represent in inerrant word of God]
 
Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 AM
 
Location: (WNY)
5,384 posts, read 9,587,018 times
Reputation: 7646
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Usually when you put the word Catholic in the title, it is in open invitation to jump in and let us Catholics know how wrong we are. I have even gone so far as to put in my OP somthing to the effect of, this is not a place to bash Catholics, so if you have nothing nice to say, stay out. I was then told that we have freedom of speech and we Catolics should be told how wrong we are. Some of the posters here believe that it is their God given duty to set us straight and they can be relentless.
Quote:
I also wanted to say how very nice it is to read a Catholic thread that no one has come in and started bashing! I was hesitant to even read it. Nice post, Aaron.
As an RC member of CD who pops in and OUT of this forum I completely AGREE with Weather's statements.... it can become very hostile in here... and it is often why I don't show my face too frequently in the Religion Forum.... but it IS nice to find a thread that isn't so nasty KUDOS to the posters on here.....very refreshing and makes me want to sit and stay a while...
 
Old 11-01-2008, 09:04 AM
 
Location: among the chaos
2,136 posts, read 4,303,726 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
weatherologist -availability is restricted; I have seen the same in RC denominations - I think the *rule* is only RC's may take communion, but I have certainly been at Masses where it was available to all.
I have personally never seen any person denied the Eucharist at any Mass that I have attended. I have however, especially at a Funeral Mass, heard the priest invite Catholics to the table and any others who would like to come up, to come and receive a blessing. Yes, the issue is transubstantiatian CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. It is my personal feelings and absolutely not the teaching of the Catholic Church, that noone should be denied the body and blood of Christ. Whether you approach the table believing in 'true presence' or in just a memorable experience, I believe that ALL are called to the table.





Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I guess my first response to the first post was "what catholics stood up for" - what does that mean? Theology or politics, if politics is it papal edicts or what RCs *really* believe [not always in lock-step with the pope, who is supposed to represent in inerrant word of God]
Because I am a practicing Catholic, I believe in the infallability CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Infallibility of the Pope. When it comes to politics, I do believe that it is the Churches position to make sure that her people understand where the Church stands. I do not believe that they should have any right to dictate how their parishoners vote, but I do not have a problem with the Church keeping her parishoners informed.

(Was that your question? If not, please dumb it down for me. )

Peace,
<><
 
Old 11-01-2008, 10:30 AM
 
3,627 posts, read 12,402,826 times
Reputation: 2682
For sharing the eucharist - I have seen it done but everything I have heard is "it is not allowed"

The significant difference is not really transubstation - cosubstantion is not all that differenc. The difference is, as I understand:

Lutherans believe Christ's death on the cross paid for original sin and all sins past and present and was done ONCE. We participate in the sacrament of Communion because God commanded it, but do not recieve forgiveness of our sins through it. It is a sacrament but it does not confer grace It is by no means reduced to being a commemorative event and the belief is in the real presence.

I believe that Roman Catholics believe Christ's death on the cross paid only for original sin and that we are only fogiven anew through the act of holy communion in which the sacrifice is re-enacted

I thought it was pretty clear that RCs were not supposed to offer the eucharist to non RC's - I could be wrong..............I am looking; this is apparently in a papal encyclical but those are as long and dry as the foundation writings of the Lutheran Church.

The pope thing is a pretty big difference for many protestants.
 
Old 11-01-2008, 10:42 AM
 
Location: among the chaos
2,136 posts, read 4,303,726 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
For sharing the eucharist - I have seen it done but everything I have heard is "it is not allowed"

The significant difference is not really transubstation - cosubstantion is not all that differenc. The difference is, as I understand:

Lutherans believe Christ's death on the cross paid for original sin and all sins past and present and was done ONCE. We participate in the sacrament of Communion because God commanded it, but do not recieve forgiveness of our sins through it. It is a sacrament but it does not confer grace It is by no means reduced to being a commemorative event and the belief is in the real presence.

I believe that Roman Catholics believe Christ's death on the cross paid only for original sin and that we are only fogiven anew through the act of holy communion in which the sacrifice is re-enacted

I thought it was pretty clear that RCs were not supposed to offer the eucharist to non RC's - I could be wrong..............I am looking; this is apparently in a papal encyclical but those are as long and dry as the foundation writings of the Lutheran Church.

The pope thing is a pretty big difference for many protestants.
GrannyNancy,

I will look into this later today when I can commit more time it. Until then, I will hold back on comment, because what you say, is not my understanding.

I am enjoying this thread and I will come back to it later. For now, I really must clean my house. I have surgery on Tuesday AM and will be away for a few days and out of commission for several weeks. And if the geese should fly my direction (which to my knowledge they will not!!!!) I need to have a clean house.

God bless us all...

<><
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top