U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:46 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,304,250 times

Advertisements

I did want to add that, yes, you are correct. If you are not Catholic, the Catholic Church does prefer that you do not partake of the Eucharist. However, there is no way for the Eucharistic ministers to know who is and who is not Catholic. You may just be visiting from another parish.

We Catholics are also not supposed to take communion with another denomination (which I find rediculous). As I said earlier, we are all called to the table.

Last edited by weatherologist; 11-01-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: added thought.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:05 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,405,273 times
It is good to have just a simple healthy discussion for a change Yes I don't have much time this weekend or the next few days and I pray your surgery goes well. We can always come back to it.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:26 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,048,912 times
It is true, the priests and EM do not ASK everyone if they are practicing Catholics. We don't wear sign .

I think we should show by our actions and our words that we live our faith. These outward signs are important for others to view. "THey will know we are Christians by our Love......"

Old 11-01-2008, 12:02 PM

Lyrics for We are One in The Spirit

I love that modern hymn and what it says!

1-
We are One in The Spirit,
We are One in The Lord.
We are One in The Spirit,
We are One in The Lord.
And we pray that all unity may one day be restored.
Chorus
And they'll know we are Christians by our love,
By our Love,
Yes they'll know we are Christians by our love.
-2-
We will work with each other,
We will work side by side.
And we'll guard each man's dignity
And save each man's pride.
Chorus
-3-
And we'll guard each man's dignity
And save each man's pride.
Chorus
-3-
We will walk with each other,
We will walk hand in hand.
We will walk with each other,
We will walk hand in hand.
And together we'll spread the News
that God is in our land.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
GrannyNancy,

I will look into this later today when I can commit more time it. Until then, I will hold back on comment, because what you say, is not my understanding.

I am enjoying this thread and I will come back to it later. For now, I really must clean my house. I have surgery on Tuesday AM and will be away for a few days and out of commission for several weeks. And if the geese should fly my direction (which to my knowledge they will not!!!!) I need to have a clean house.

God bless us all...

<><
I looked into this and some of the things I referenced were before Vatican II. Some changes have been made - This is a nice artile - I was looking on the "big" one, but this is from an Australian Interfaith Document
http://www.melbourne.catholic.org.au/eic/documents/SacramentandSacrificeretyped.pdf (broken link)

It is rather dry but this statement is the item that was resolved! A lenghty process to bring churches together.

[LEFT]57. Our discussions have revealed that this particular aspect of the question at issue between us is
no longer divisive. In recent years, Catholic teaching, especially at Vatican II, has demonstrated a
clear concern to counteract false interpretations of a popular kind which regard the participation of
the redeemed in the sacrifice of Calvary at the Eucharist as a work which will automatically
influence God. Vatican II avoids the phrase [SIZE=3]ex opere operato [/SIZE]and stresses the objectivity of the
eucharistic action by referring simply to Christís presence and action (Sac.Con. 7). At the same
time, it holds the objectivity of Christís presence in tension with a new stress on the sacrament as a
personal encounter of Christ with his people the Eucharist thus presupposes faith and nourishes it
(cf. Sac.Con. 59). Alongside the objective certainty of Christís efficacious presence in the
sacrament, Vatican II insists on the central role of faith. Hence the traditional Lutheran concern[/LEFT]
about the [SIZE=3]ex opere opera to [/SIZE]action of the Mass does not apply to official Catholic teaching today.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I looked into this and some of the things I referenced were before Vatican II. Some changes have been made - This is a nice artile - I was looking on the "big" one, but this is from an Australian Interfaith Document
http://www.melbourne.catholic.org.au/eic/documents/SacramentandSacrificeretyped.pdf (broken link)

It is rather dry but this statement is the item that was resolved! A lenghty process to bring churches together.

[LEFT]57. Our discussions have revealed that this particular aspect of the question at issue between us is
no longer divisive. In recent years, Catholic teaching, especially at Vatican II, has demonstrated a
clear concern to counteract false interpretations of a popular kind which regard the participation of
the redeemed in the sacrifice of Calvary at the Eucharist as a work which will automatically
influence God. Vatican II avoids the phrase [SIZE=3]ex opere operato [/SIZE]and stresses the objectivity of the
eucharistic action by referring simply to Christís presence and action (Sac.Con. 7). At the same
time, it holds the objectivity of Christís presence in tension with a new stress on the sacrament as a
personal encounter of Christ with his people the Eucharist thus presupposes faith and nourishes it
(cf. Sac.Con. 59). Alongside the objective certainty of Christís efficacious presence in the
sacrament, Vatican II insists on the central role of faith. Hence the traditional Lutheran concern[/LEFT]
about the [SIZE=3]ex opere opera to [/SIZE]action of the Mass does not apply to official Catholic teaching today.
It's hard to just walk away, isn't it GrannyNancy? You might find this site interesting. I find that they are definitely "old church".

Fish Eaters: The Whys and Hows of Traditional Catholicism

I learn so much from this site.

I'll be back again late-er.

<><

Old 11-01-2008, 02:36 PM

That looks like a real informative site to be sure. I may spend some time there.

Definitely no desire to be an RC but we can be brothers and sisters in Christ!

Old 11-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Definitely no desire to be an RC but we can be brothers and sisters in Christ!
Oh, I understand that entirely. I just have always thought that you were a woman who was interested in information and enjoyed knowledge. I have found this site to be very informative about the RC faith.

And absolutely,
your sister in Christ,
<><

Old 11-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Yes, I wish I could find something so nice to share on a Lutheran site - I can share the Book of Concord the Confessions of the Lutheran Church but it is quite long and dry and written in the 1500s - And in the USA there are several very different branches of the same Church --

This one page is pretty much a high level though. As is, much has changed in the ecumenical goal [which always was! - ONE CHURCH!] but foundations have not.

What is a Lutheran?

Old 11-01-2008, 06:52 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,960,570 times
Quote:
Yes, I wish I could find something so nice to share on a Lutheran site - I can share the Book of Concord the Confessions of the Lutheran Church but it is quite long and dry and written in the 1500s - And in the USA there are several very different branches of the same Church --

This one page is pretty much a high level though. As is, much has changed in the ecumenical goal [which always was! - ONE CHURCH!] but foundations have not.

What is a Lutheran?
This is my ferverant prayer.

Good Lord willing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity