U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,181,784 times

Advertisements

It seems like our Church doesn't do a lot in terms of Evangelizing or spreading our message to the common people. We do a lot of good work through programs like Regnum Christi to spreading the message to poor parts of the world, but in terms of our fellow Americans we don't do enough to encourage and pass on the message of Christ and the Catholic Church.

I think if many Protestant religions knew what Catholics stood up for, we'd see a lot more converts into our religion.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:32 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,416,101 times
Actually, I think many of the mainling protestants know the difference between Roman Catholocism and their faith and doctrines and are actually coming together in full communion / clergy relationships with each other - some are not.

The RC is involved in ecuminical dialogue but there are doctinal points of difference that have not been addressed and are so wide at this point that shared communion is not an option.

Better to address the unchurched and splinter groups IMO, but many of those have some very very negative ideas about Catholicism.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:19 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,377,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
It seems like our Church doesn't do a lot in terms of Evangelizing or spreading our message to the common people. We do a lot of good work through programs like Regnum Christi to spreading the message to poor parts of the world, but in terms of our fellow Americans we don't do enough to encourage and pass on the message of Christ and the Catholic Church.

I think if many Protestant religions knew what Catholics stood up for, we'd see a lot more converts into our religion.
I would personally rather they not. We don't need more door to door salespeople.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 PM

25,419 posts, read 24,189,842 times
Haven't you ever considered that the admonitions in the Bible to spread the word may have applied to that time and that place? In the beginning there weren't many Christians. Therefore, obviously, a lot more needed to be brought in for Christianity to take off as a religion.

I mean do you still also take the admonition to "go forth and multiply" to heart? Does everyone here have as many children as God was willing to give them...in other words, you don't practice any form of birth control, including the rhythm method? I'll bet many people here do practice birth control. Why? Because now, there are enough children. Right?

Well, now, there are enough Christians. Christianity is established. We ALL have access to reading or learning about Christianity. Are you so sure the advice to evangelize is still applicable at this point? Why not leave it up to us to make our own choices?

The unfortunate thing is that the more you try to get other people to be Christians...the more you push them away.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:39 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,051,820 times
The old joke is What do you call old people with rythm? The answer is Parents.

I have 2 healthy daughters. That is what the Lord gave me in spite of my Type I diabetes. Self control helps.

The Church teaches Natural Family Planning. Sorry, I'm too old to know or to care how it works.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:44 PM

4,368 posts, read 4,094,059 times
Quote:

At a time when many Catholics are headed towards the exits don't you think the Church should deal with why people are leaving before you sound the horn to go out and try to evangelize others? or are you just trying to find replacements?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:50 PM

4,368 posts, read 4,094,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
The old joke is What do you call old people with rythm? The answer is Parents.

I have 2 healthy daughters. That is what the Lord gave me in spite of my Type I diabetes. Self control helps.

The Church teaches Natural Family Planning. Sorry, I'm too old to know or to care how it works.
NFP is great for the small percentage that finds it works for them but for most it does not. Most studies find between 85 and 90% of Catholics use ABCs(artificial birth control)

Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,285,193 times
Quote:

I, one-hundred percent, agree. On the surface, I agree with what St. Francis of Assisi when he said: "Preach the gospel at all times -- If necessary, use words." However, I think Catholics have taken that to an extreme.

All you Catholics out there, be a good witness to your faith, but don't be afraid to stick up for Catholicism and don't be afraid to tell folks what a blessing it is to be Catholic.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:53 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,962,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I, one-hundred percent, agree. On the surface, I agree with what St. Francis of Assisi when he said: "Preach the gospel at all times -- If necessary, use words." However, I think Catholics have taken that to an extreme.

All you Catholics out there, be a good witness to your faith, but don't be afraid to stick up for Catholicism and don't be afraid to tell folks what a blessing it is to be Catholic.
There are many people who "test the waters" so to speak by joining an RCIA group, or general informational gathering.
I found volunteering in those groups a great way to "evangalize".

Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,285,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
There are many people who "test the waters" so to speak by joining an RCIA group, or general informational gathering.
I found volunteering in those groups a great way to "evangalize".
Excellent point. I am a music director and a core member for Life Teen. I believe we also need to evangalize our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.