Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:43 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times

Advertisements

Is there any indication that Jesus taught that Christians are to ignore sin???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Not sure I understand your question? He certainly told us repeatedly not to judge others.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:54 PM

Are we 'judging others' when we point out that what they are doing is contrary to the doctrine of Christ?

By the way, I do not find Jesus "repeatedly" telling us to not judge others.
I am familiar with "Judge not lest you be judged", but that is not the entirety of that scripture.
Are there others?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Is your intent to gloriy yourself by pointing out their faults or truly bring them to the Lord?

Have you considered the impact of your rebuke - people put up walls when they are challenged - to a close friend - I may bring up these things; a stranger no. To a stranger I want to witness God's love, if God enters they will know their own nakedness. If I help them build their walls I am helping them block God, not welcome him. God does not need police to protect him. He could wipe us all out in the blink of an eye.

Matthew 7
1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

Luke 6 [ok same statement-synoptic gospel]
37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Romans 14

3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Romans 14
9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written:
" 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.'

James 4
11Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. 12There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 PM

"But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he is rightly judged by no one". 1 Cor.2.15 NKJV

" Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgement." John 7.24 NKJV

"Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters.? Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pretain to this life?" 1 Cor. 6.2and3 NKJV

Old 10-29-2008, 07:15 PM

But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he is rightly judged by no one". 1 Cor.2.15 NKJV

He who is spiritual is the Lord

" Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgement." John 7.24 NKJV

But here he is talking about people judging HIM for healing on the sabbath

"Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters.? Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pretain to this life?" 1 Cor. 6.2and3 NKJV[/quote]

I don't know - here he was telling folks not to sue each other - it is not as clear to me.........and I am sleepy

Old 10-29-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Marianinark
"But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he is rightly judged by no one". 1 Cor.2.15 NKJV

He who is spiritual is the Lord

But here he is talking about people judging HIM for healing on the sabbath

"Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters.? Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pretain to this life?" 1 Cor. 6.2and3 NKJV

I highlighted and underlined the passages that were added by the previous poster...not by myself. My original post is above the quote.
Post#5 ....

Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 PM

Sorry, I thought that was obvious

This case does have to do with a member who was in an incestuous relationship

Yes, I guess we are to judge some, but I gather - reading all of the Corinthians verse that we are not to judge those outside the church but those inside the church. And then when we judge within the church:

Check Galations Chapter 6
1Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. 2Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, 5for each one should carry his own load

Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 PM

272 posts, read 484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Is your intent to gloriy yourself by pointing out their faults or truly bring them to the Lord?
I agree with the way you think.

Nothing harms Christians more than this topic in my opinion. Someone could be lurking and might be interested in Christianity, but be turned away because of judgmental behavior they see going on. I think kindness is the best method, and leave the judgment to god if you will.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 PM

I agree with your last post, granny.
But I know Timothy was told to reprove, and rebuke, with all long-suffering and doctrine. I do not think he would be 'judging' when he was 'reproving and rebuking', do you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity