U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,276,762 times

Advertisements

Our church has about 14 small groups during the week. There are 13 in my group. We were talking about praying for the country and praying for the elections. No one wanted to say who they were voting for....finally one person said they were voting for McCain and we all said we were too. Most were looking at the whole picture but certainly all of us are pro-life and that is a very important issue to me. It's certainly not the only one but it's close to the top for me.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,112,466 times
Quote:
I think that's all paranoid speculation. I'm a Christian myself, though not a fundamentalist evangelical. However, I don't see ANYWHERE that Obama is proposing anything that would lead to oppression of Christians. So I don't know what these "consequences" are of which you speak.

I was listening to the radio today...not sure who it was, as I came into the discussion mid-way....but he was yammering on about how radically different this country will be if Obama is elected. I can't help but believe that kind of talk is overdramatic fear-mongering just to get people to vote for McCain.
I agree. God bless.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,474,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. (Jer 1:5)

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. (Psa 139:14)

(and many more like verses)

This tells me that He is the source of all life, and that a relationship begins at conception.
Actually he is saying that he "knew thee" BEFORE conception. This is only a reference to his omniscience. It says nothing about a "soul."

Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM

Saintmarks,
I make no claim to "know" when a "soul" enters the body. I make no claim that the soul even exists. Most Christians probably do, however. But this thread is not about the details of a fetus's soul, it is about Christians backing Obama. I said that the bible fits within pro-choice Christians' interpretations, and I stick by that statement.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 PM

140 posts, read 409,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Why is that the end-all/be-all topic for Christians these days? I mean, come on.....it's as if the mission of the contemporary church is solely to make sure "evil, filthy, abominable" gays and lesbians are repressed, told about how sinful they are, forced back in the closet, and discriminated against.

Is McCain going to outlaw divorce? Is he going to outlaw fornication? Is he going to encourage a Christian environment of telling adulterers, drunks, liars, and disobedient children that they are vile, wicked sinners and have done something evil in the eyes of God?

Why are you not making THOSE some of the issues that guide your political thought process?
I think you miss the point of this comment. This has nothing to do with outlawing a behavior, but rather making it ILLEGAL for a Clergy person of the Christian faith to teach what the Bible teaches about homosexuality specifically. This has been proposed. As for the other issues you mentioned, would they also prohibit the Christian teachers from saying that adultry is a sin? I don't know, but I think if one law is passed, the rest will follow. Will the government then tell Muslim leaders that they can no longer teach parts of their religion that disagree with mainstream American culture?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 PM

140 posts, read 409,039 times
[quote=grannynancy;5983982]Whaaaaat?!?!?!?!

You do know that Obama is a Christian?

Not all who claim to be Christian necessarily believe the same thing. I strongly disagree with the theology of the church to which Barack Obama belongs. This church is based on the Black Liberation Theology of James Cone. Read up on it, then read up on other Christian faiths, you will see their differences. In case you're wondering, yes, I am white, and no, I am not the devil and do not hate or opress black people. These teachings say otherwise. If you do look up some of this, try for a second to plug in "white" with "black" and vice versa. Would you want your leader to believe the teachings if this were the case? I most certainly wouldn't.

The point here is not what faith our next president has, but one's faith does affect his views of everything.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,004,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
I think you miss the point of this comment. This has nothing to do with outlawing a behavior, but rather making it ILLEGAL for a Clergy person of the Christian faith to teach what the Bible teaches about homosexuality specifically. This has been proposed. As for the other issues you mentioned, would they also prohibit the Christian teachers from saying that adultry is a sin? I don't know, but I think if one law is passed, the rest will follow. Will the government then tell Muslim leaders that they can no longer teach parts of their religion that disagree with mainstream American culture?
This is correct. The fact there is such a push to do this is proof of how evil the homosexual movement is from a Christian perspective. Their goal is to silence anybody who disagrees with them at all costs. This is a very dangerous road to follow.

Its my conviction that the homosexual movement in America is Satan's vehicle to bring back mass-discrimination against the followers of Christ in America. The pieces are in place as the public school system has taught our young people that the homosexuals are innocent victims and Christians are evil, hateful, bigoted, backwards, and should have no place in American society. All it will take is a generational changing of the guard, which is what we will get with Obama. Some difficult times are coming for true Christians in America.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its my conviction that the homosexual movement in America is Satan's vehicle to bring back mass-discrimination against the followers of Christ in America.
It is my conviction that ANYONE who teaches that homosexuality is wrong is a vehicle to bring mass-discrimination against the homosexuals. Christians just happen to be the majority of those discriminatory teachers.
Quote:
The pieces are in place as the public school system has taught our young people that the homosexuals are innocent victims and Christians are evil, hateful, bigoted, backwards, and should have no place in American society. All it will take is a generational changing of the guard, which is what we will get with Obama. Some difficult times are coming for true Christians in America.
Only the ones that teach discrimination.

If you are tired of crying discrimination (for discriminating I might add) then just DROP your arbitrary "moral" and live in peaceful coexistence with gays. Sure it may be icky to you, but it's not that hard.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:14 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,444,834 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Bchris02
This is correct. The fact there is such a push to do this is proof of how evil the homosexual movement is from a Christian perspective. Their goal is to silence anybody who disagrees with them at all costs. This is a very dangerous road to follow.

Its my conviction that the homosexual movement in America is Satan's vehicle to bring back mass-discrimination against the followers of Christ in America. The pieces are in place as the public school system has taught our young people that the homosexuals are innocent victims and Christians are evil, hateful, bigoted, backwards, and should have no place in American society. All it will take is a generational changing of the guard, which is what we will get with Obama. Some difficult times are coming for true Christians in America.
Chris, with all due respect,

I work in the public schools, and I have never, never heard of anyone promoting homosexuality in any context. In fact....outside of super liberal enclaves like San Francisco, I've never heard of any promotion of homosexuality in schools anywhere.

Also, I've known and worked with people who are gay, one is a close friend, and a supporter of gay marriage. None of these people have any hatred for christians or (conservtive) christian beliefs. They may disagree with christians, but I've never seen any militancy with them. And I've never heard of any gays advocating persecution of christians, except when right wing people bring it up to scare people like us into voting for their candidates.

I do think Homosexuality is a sin, and against the Bible. But if gay marriage is legalized, I am not afraid of my christian rights being taken away by a small minority of a small minority (gays are what, 10% of the population?)

I tried looking up Canadian laws to see if they've actually stopped pastors from preaching on homosexuality...or if they've been able to force them to perform gay ceremonies, but couldn't find anything. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM

4,935 posts, read 6,773,140 times
As a Christian, I don't see we should put faith in any candidate/worldly leader. I'll abstain from voting. God is my provider. God is my shepherd. God is my fortress. God is my rock. Our unbelief in him leads us down the road of despair. So have faith in the Lord and your troubles will disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or