U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:17 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,402,826 times

Advertisements

The term evangelist was coined in the BIBLE
So tell me, when did the right wing actually coin the term evangesit?

The term "evangelical church" was used in the Book of Concord written in 1577
And evangelical was also used in the Augsburg Confession in 1530

I think that usage predates any modern American usage.

I am not trying to put a "claim on the word" just stating that no one group of Christians "owns" it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 05:19 PM

3,576 posts, read 452,553 times
In society in general and also in christianity there is an obsession with labelling.

Grannynancy, I understand your frustration about the labels being coined and adopted by people to describe their denomination but that is just how language works - it always evolves and changes, words are adopted from different languages as well.

To me sometimes it seems the simplicity gets lost with trying to add interpretations/bias/traditions/labels to the message all have sinned - God is rconciling the world through Christ. The wages of sin is death - and Christ is the way to life in the Spirit.

2Cr 5:17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2Cr 5:18 And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
2Cr 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

We can get so caught up in condemning those that do not share our interpretations and sometimes the message seems to be "be a christian like me" instead of find Christ who is the way, the truth and life. It sometimes can seem to be a lifestyle thing instead of a conversion to following Christ in the Spirit.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

The term "evangelical church" was used in the Book of Concord written in 1577
And evangelical was also used in the Augsburg Confession in 1530

I think that usage predates any modern American usage.

I am not trying to put a "claim on the word" just stating that no one group of Christians "owns" it.

It can get confusing when you read phrases in the bible and then try and combine them with words that have changed or evolved into having a different meaning. It can lead to doctrines that are not what were originally intended.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 PM

You know, and I was only trying to make a point that that labeling in not currently used the same way throughout the church or the world. That is ALL.

The Evangelical Church in Germany is a conglomeration of Lutheran, Reformed, and other Churches - term has been in use over there for centuries.

People see the word Evangelical and some cringe because of what the word "means" in todays common usage. I was just saying the word has a broader meaning as does "born again" so that when people see them they do not automattically associate them wtih a few sects.

That is and was my only point.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:39 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,465,688 times
Ponder this...In Titus 3.5 we read of the " washing of regeneration"...the word "regeneration" also means recreation. I believe the 'washing' is baptism, and the 'regeneration' is the new birth...re: born again.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:11 PM

I feel another baptism thread coming

Old 11-01-2008, 04:25 AM

Marianinark - I think you helped make a gppd point on "born again" and we did have a lenghty unproductive talk on Baptism in another thread.

It is a stance of "what does this mean" and "I think" and I think we all agree in the general sense we are made new in Christ. But then we diverge - and my only point there is I can say I am "born again" based on what I understand it to mean. [renrriq02 - "born again" was also used in the Book of Concord in the 1500s, so the right wingers did not coin that one first either] Certain Chrisitans will deny my "born again" status, but I really don't care because they have not been appointed by God to sit in judgement.

FWIW, the referenced book of Concord is not like the Book of Mormon; it is just a collection of theological and policy discussions and does not claim any new divine revelation. - and - FWIW Lutheran Churches also cross the boundary from rigid fundamentalis and literalism to being one of the more liberal churches in today's world. All agrree on core doctrine then diverge after that. [If someone comes in with a "Lutheran" tag, you should get to know them before you call them a liberal; some may take offense. Obviously I would not]

Last edited by grannynancy; 11-01-2008 at 04:34 AM..

Old 11-01-2008, 10:15 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,599,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
A true evangelical is one who actually FOLLOWS the Bible. Progressive "Christianity" today follows popular culture and whats socially acceptable and politically correct in today's society more than it does God's Word.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A true evangelical is one who actually FOLLOWS the Bible. Progressive "Christianity" today follows popular culture and whats socially acceptable and politically correct in today's society more than it does God's Word.
That is your interpreation of the word. Where does it say that a liberal Chrisitan is not a true evangelical?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,465,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity