U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,044,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
1-Building; Unless there are any OT adherants to the tabernacle, we can't absolutley define "building". So I'll call it cyberspace
2-Leadership; Other than the moderators ( who are more like crowd control ) our "leaders" change continually, but we are nevertheless "led"
3-Creed; Ticketh not off thee Moderators.
4-Doctrine; We're workin on it.
Good one!! Reps to you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 05:08 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,564,568 times
Quote:
1-Building; Unless there are any OT adherants to the tabernacle, we can't absolutley define "building". So I'll call it cyberspace
2-Leadership; Other than the moderators ( who are more like crowd control ) our "leaders" change continually, but we are nevertheless "led"
OK.. sorry I somehow misunderstood that you meant WE as in "Christians on City-Data".

Gotcha!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:55 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,962,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
OK.. sorry I somehow misunderstood that you meant WE as in "Christians on City-Data".

Gotcha!
Frankly, I'm still not sure what I meant.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:05 PM

322 posts, read 643,851 times
This is a good question. I have to go with the biblical description of the local Church, which involves every true Christian in any given town. It has elders and one of those elders serves as the pastor/bishop/overseer.

But we fellowship in a wide variety of environments. Local Church meetings is one of those environments. Visiting with fellow Christians at their homes is another. Chatting at school, work, the grocery store, the telephone, and yes, the Internet are other avenues, but can not replace the in person local Church meetings.

But Christians chatting at forums can be a positive.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:20 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,451,387 times
Default Forty pounds of free bacon for Oakback!

Quote:

June's not exactly into church, churches, or church-related stuff, but #3 works for her!

--Oh, and #4? The answer is the same as #3.

Brought to you by:

"The Doctrine According To June."

Old 10-31-2008, 07:39 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,821,515 times
I agree that the church is the body of Christ (Col. 1:18) and we can gather together anywhere whether and any time and it doesn't have to be a building. There are congregations of Christians who meet a a certain place regularly maybe under elders, ect. , in buildings which most people seem to refer to as a church. God bless.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 PM

322 posts, read 643,851 times
Would it be ok to ask for prayer at this thread? It does involve Church. Please pray that the LORD will help me attend Church meetings on Sunday. There is often a conflict with my work schedule. Now I've been sent out of State by the company for a week, and it conflicts with plans for Church meeting this Sunday. Please help. Please pray.

And yes it is nice to stay in touch with Church members at this forum. Thank GOD for this blessing!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:27 AM

13,465 posts, read 21,212,300 times
Quote:
although we have no;
1-building
2-doctrine
3-leadership
4-creed

we do sometimes gather in His name.
so are we a "church" ?
I think we are a member of the church individually and collectively. we are THE church.Sometimes we are meeting collectively especially in our praise threads..You know what He says..Where two or three are gathered......
Some times I come to this forum and find myself in church...

Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,558,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
Would it be ok to ask for prayer at this thread? It does involve Church. Please pray that the LORD will help me attend Church meetings on Sunday. There is often a conflict with my work schedule. Now I've been sent out of State by the company for a week, and it conflicts with plans for Church meeting this Sunday. Please help. Please pray.

And yes it is nice to stay in touch with Church members at this forum. Thank GOD for this blessing!
Joe, I will pray that He makes a way for you to be fed, whether that is with a body of believers or a refreshing time alone with Him. He's done both many times for me.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,564,568 times
Quote:
Frankly, I'm still not sure what I meant.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it!

At first glance, I thought you were referring to a group of local people meeting in Jesus' name, having no creed or doctrine or leadership or building (and maybe that IS what you were referring to)..

Jesus did say "where two or three are gathered, there am I", and I believe that He is here among us as we gather in His name. But while this is a gathering of believers, I'm not sure if it constitutes what He had in mind for the church.

To go over these points:

Quote:
1-building
2-doctrine
3-leadership
4-creed
.. I would say that #1 & 3 are the least important. Perhaps it is also rather unimportant to have a creed. However, (point # 2) to the church was given the task of holding and teaching sound doctrine, and to keep this in unity. They were all led of the Spirit, had entered in by the same door, and were equally submissive to each other. I think we have a good thing going here.. we can edify one another.. but I'm not sure if we're really experiencing this part in fullness online... "Being of one accord, of one mind".

But if you look at that, then you might start wondering if alot of "churches" are really "church".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or