U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2009, 02:38 PM

6,946 posts, read 7,345,966 times

Advertisements

The result of dying to the flesh is ceasing from our works, and coming into His rest.

Quote:
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief... (Heb 4:1-6)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 03:51 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,516,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
"Sabbath observance has a long history which dates back to Adam and Eve, "

I am not trying to be contentious, but where is the Sabbath mentioned before Exodus 16:23, other than in Genesis where it says God rested on the seventh day, and blessed it and sanctified it. I do not find it called the "Sabbath" until Exodus 16: 23.
You've got it! The word "Sabbath" means rest. It was used in Exodus 16 as a test of loyalty and obedience. I suppose after some four hundred years as slaves, Israel might have adopted some strange habits. Do you remember that golden calf? Israel did not enter Egypt as idol worshipers. I know the four letter word obey frustrates most Christians, unless they are talking about homosexuality, abortion or any other so called bad sins; of course all sin is bad. And we all know that sin is defined by the bible as the transgression or breaking of the law (1 John 3:4). Well I guess, love and obedience trumps sacrifice every time. God Bless.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM

3,981 posts, read 5,392,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Did you know that debating the scripture is sin?

(2 Corinthians 12:21) "Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed."

Explain the scripture. If all someone wants to do is debate, then move on. The scriptures speak for themselves.

I need to look and see what translation you quoted. The NJKV says "contentions" instead of "debates. (2 Cor 12:20)

Okay, I see it is in the KJV It also means : strife

Old 01-16-2009, 04:12 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,329,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I need to look and see what translation you quoted. The NJKV says "contentions" instead of "debates. (2 Cor 12:20)

Okay, I see it is in the KJV It also means : strife
I really need to have more than one version of the Bible. Seeing all these different words used in the same Scripture surprises me.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 PM

302 posts, read 336,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
I had some of these same questions about the Sabbath, since it is one of the Ten Commandments. However, a closer study of Romans, and some great assistance from Holy Ghost filled believers, revealed that we are under Jesus' grace -- which does not include keeping the Sabbath as in Moses' law. We live every day holy, not just the Sabbath.

This Saturday/Sunday Sabbath-keeping is cultish or fanatical; those that speak in tongues at will, too. Study the scriptures and it will reveal the Truth.

(2 Timothy 2:15) "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Tim 2:15

" ... What is intended here is not dividing Scripture from Scripture, but teaching Scripture accurately." W. E. Vine.

Donna Kupp

Old 01-17-2009, 06:19 AM

4,273 posts, read 3,700,942 times
The spirit is willing, but the flesh, oh........... but, the flesh is weak. We ARE overcomers in Christ Jesus! WE can, YOU can, put the flesh under subjection. If you say you love God, OBEY His commandments, Sop looking for excuse to do what the flesh desires.

The devil has a counterfeit for EVERYTHING God does, EVERYTHING! What's the first thing sinners like to do as the weekend roll around? Yeah, you've got it! Hit the clubs, hangout and party. I know, I use to be one of them. Friday and Saturday, could'nt wait to get to those clubs! We give our praise to satan first, then we will flock to "church" on Sunday, full of repentance for what we previously did. Hypocrites! Yes, and I'm speaking about the "old" Betsey.

We don't obey them, the TEN commandments, that is, because we DON'T want to. You say you love Jesus? Follow Him! He observed them. His disciples observed them. And we don't have to? Why not? Because He made provisions for us not to? Really? Really people? Provisions for us to sin? Not the Jesus I KNOW!

By the way, what's so difficult about resting in Christ Jesus?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 AM

381 posts, read 461,987 times
Jesus said In mark's account. I am Lord of the sabbath. He has nullified every Old testament law and nailed it to the cross. Galatians 3 .

you can't just decide to selectively dismiss Paul's teaching in Galatians.

I go to chruch too and it well pleasing for us to worship and praise God all the time, but keeping the sabbath, it is legalism at it's finest...if you think God will be angry at you for not keeping it.

jesus died for all sins, past ,present and future.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM

3,540 posts, read 4,279,860 times
If this has already been said I apologize ( don't have the patience to read 100+ posts )

I believe that people have a hard time doing NOTHING.
Even if we are not technically "working", we're doing "something"

We're; reading, watching TV, on the computer, on the phone, gardening, journaling, having a discussion etc....

IMHO, there should be time set apart to do NOTHING.
To truely REST.

Afterall, if God almighty rested, so should we.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 AM

71 posts, read 70,316 times
I would like to quote Romans 14:22-23 NASB The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whateevere is not from faith is sin.

As we study and sharpen each other...lets not forget that our salvation and relationship with the Lord is personal. We are brothers and sisters and our concern for each other will come through. As we hold to our faiths we need respect each others faiths as well.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,392,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesodano View Post
I would like to quote Romans 14:22-23 NASB The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whateevere is not from faith is sin.

As we study and sharpen each other...lets not forget that our salvation and relationship with the Lord is personal. We are brothers and sisters and our concern for each other will come through. As we hold to our faiths we need respect each others faiths as well.
The Romans 14: 22-23 is an excellent admonition. And we must not attempt to bind our "own conviction" on others. That is when it becomes unacceptable with God. As long as it is not specifically taught in the scriptures, as part of the doctrine of the new covenant, we must not try to bind it on others.
I have dear brethren who believe in the 'one cup'. As long as they do not attempt to bind in on others, they are accepted as our brethren. The same with the having no classes, or not supporting schools, etc.

If what they are practicing is plainly contrary to the scriptures, that is another story. We cannot accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity