U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,864,054 times

Advertisements

What is the one cup thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,478,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
What is the one cup thing?
Very briefly, so we will not be OT very much .
It is having only one cup for the Lord's supper. Everyone drinks from that one cup. It was a common practice many years ago, and some still hold to it.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,558,236 times
If you keep the Sabbath, I suggest doing an exaustive search of the Bible using a good concordance. The Bible tells us to commune with nature to enjoy and be in awe of God's creation. We are told to visit the sick and those in prison. We are not told to attend a church or temple service, though we are encouraged to fellowship with other believers. While you are at it, I suggest a search on tithes as well. You will be surprised what the Bible really says about titheing. Religion should not be a profit making business, though there are many who will shamelessly lie to you to keep you contributing to their privileged, luxurious lifestyle. Paul supported his ministry as a tent maker. Does your minister have a regular job in addition to being a pastor? A pastor who tries to shame you if you are not in church every time the doors are open is only concerned that you be there when the plate is passed. There are sincere men of God and there are hucksters. Learn the difference.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 AM

71 posts, read 97,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If you keep the Sabbath, I suggest doing an exaustive search of the Bible using a good concordance. The Bible tells us to commune with nature to enjoy and be in awe of God's creation. We are told to visit the sick and those in prison. We are not told to attend a church or temple service, though we are encouraged to fellowship with other believers. While you are at it, I suggest a search on tithes as well. You will be surprised what the Bible really says about titheing. Religion should not be a profit making business, though there are many who will shamelessly lie to you to keep you contributing to their privileged, luxurious lifestyle. Paul supported his ministry as a tent maker. Does your minister have a regular job in addition to being a pastor? A pastor who tries to shame you if you are not in church every time the doors are open is only concerned that you be there when the plate is passed. There are sincere men of God and there are hucksters. Learn the difference.
Leviticus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but on the seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation; ye shall do no manner of work: it is a sabbath unto Jehovah in all your dwellings.

Bold faced holy convocation is a gathering together for the Lord.

Romans 15:24-28
24. whensoever I go unto Spain (for I hope to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first in some measure I shall have been satisfied with your company)--
25. but now, I say, I go unto Jerusalem, ministering unto the saints.
26. For it hath been the good pleasure of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor among the saints that are at Jerusalem.
27. Yea, it hath been their good pleasure; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, they owe it to them also to minister unto them in carnal things.
28. When therefore I have accomplished this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will go on by you unto Spain.

Paul seems to be grateful for any monetary help given to himself for expenses or to transfer monies to others as needed here.

Last edited by quesodano; 01-17-2009 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Miss quoteed some how

Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Although I do believe your thoughts on hucksters being out there.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,864,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Very briefly, so we will not be OT very much .
It is having only one cup for the Lord's supper. Everyone drinks from that one cup. It was a common practice many years ago, and some still hold to it.
Thanks! I hadn't ever heard of having to drink from the same cup. I just looked it up. Sorry about being off topic.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 PM

302 posts, read 467,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesodano View Post
I would like to quote Romans 14:22-23 NASB The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whateevere is not from faith is sin.

As we study and sharpen each other...lets not forget that our salvation and relationship with the Lord is personal. We are brothers and sisters and our concern for each other will come through. As we hold to our faiths we need respect each others faiths as well.
We are brothers and sisters in Christ only if we obey him. For Jesus said: "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and DO IT." Luke 8:21 RSV

In Romans 14, some Jews believed they must observe the traditional fast days mentioned in Zechariah 7:5-6 (Those fasts were never commanded by God.) Other Jews and Gentiles had no interest in them.

The law of the New Covenant is the Ten Commandments --and He added no more. When you read them, meat and drink are not even mentioned.

In this very chapter, Paul said: "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." verse 17

We have the freedom to eat and drink according to our convictions. However, if a person still puts a difference between meats, then if he eats what he believes is forbidden, he is breaking the First Commandment. He has transgressed the law; because he has made himself ruler of his life.

The 14th Chapter of Romans has absolutely nothing to do with the Sabbath Commandment. Yet, many churchmen use it as a primary argument against sabbath observance. I refer the interested reader to Deception #7 on my free website:

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
freetruth.info

Donna Kupp

Old 01-17-2009, 12:40 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,478,457 times
"The law of the New Covenant is the Ten Commandments --and He added no more."

Please give book, chapter, and verse, to back up this statement.

If you are getting it from the "Gospels", please remember, all were still under the old law then. The new did not come into effect until after Jesus' s death. In order for a testament to come in to effect, there has to be a death of the testator.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM

5,441 posts, read 4,679,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
We are brothers and sisters in Christ only if we obey him. For Jesus said: "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and DO IT." Luke 8:21 RSV

In Romans 14, some Jews believed they must observe the traditional fast days mentioned in Zechariah 7:5-6 (Those fasts were never commanded by God.) Other Jews and Gentiles had no interest in them.

The law of the New Covenant is the Ten Commandments --and He added no more. When you read them, meat and drink are not even mentioned.

In this very chapter, Paul said: "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." verse 17

We have the freedom to eat and drink according to our convictions. However, if a person still puts a difference between meats, then if he eats what he believes is forbidden, he is breaking the First Commandment. He has transgressed the law; because he has made himself ruler of his life.

The 14th Chapter of Romans has absolutely nothing to do with the Sabbath Commandment. Yet, many churchmen use it as a primary argument against sabbath observance. I refer the interested reader to Deception #7 on my free website:

freetruth.info

Donna Kupp
(Acts 10:10-15) "And he [Peter] became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common."

(Romans 14:1-5) "Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind."

Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post

freetruth.info

Donna Kupp
Donna I realize he was talking about food in context. The reason I brought it up was that the point of the words were about tolerance and remaining in your convictions of faith. The debate seemed to be getting heated.

Not standing someone up in your own shoes of a relationship with the Lord is a conviction of love for me. I believe that we should follow our heart of obedience to the Lord. Telling others to break a commandment is forbidden. Telling them to change their thinking without Love is pointless. The largest problem that the new church had was relations between Jews, and (not) Jews. So any similarity of cultural difference applies. The news of that fast applying to that scripture is new to me though. The only commanded fast I'm familiar with is a potential fast on day of atonement. "Afflict yourself"

Any way... Peace and Love are my words for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or