U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,826,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
(The observance of Pentecost was calculated from the "morrow after the sabbath" of Nisan 15 --not the weekly sabbath.)

You have no scriptural authority to change the Sabbath Commandment to Sunday. Learn how men have nicely set aside the commandment of God in order to keep their traditions ...

THE LORD'S DAY
Donna,
That is not true. That is not the message from God. We are no longer under the law.

Galatians 3:10
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

Galatians 3:25
Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Galatians 5:18
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

You are not being led by the Spirit of God. God warns about resisting the Holy Spirit when He say's:

Mark 3:29
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

In Gods words ... Rely on the law = no faith

Donna,
Jesus invites you to live under grace, do not be destroyed by the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM

777 posts, read 1,254,475 times
I also observe the Sabbath and I also post on this forum on the Sabbath.
It is not work to turn on the computer and it is good to fellowship always.

However, I don't surf the web on the Sabbath for anything which doesn't have anything to do with the Lord.
If my house were on fire, it would not be "work" to call for help of even make every effort to extinguish the fire.
How much more - would I make every effort to prolong another's life or even - to show kindness.
Yes, I even feed my dog.

Using a letter of the Law for our own standard of behavior is not what God intends. (Rom 8)
Neither is it the criteria by which we should judge how others are to behave.

...If indeed, we're to be judging these in the first place.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 AM

21,282 posts, read 20,922,051 times
Quote:
It is lawful to do good on the sabbath (without pay).
Donna,

Maybe you'll be so kind as to answer these three questions your husband pleaded the fifth on:

1. If your husband were to have a serious stroke on the Sabbath, what would you do?

2. If one of your children or grandchildren (provided you have either and they are still young) were to be abducted on the Sabbath, what would you do?

3. If your house were to burst into flames on the Sabbath, what would you do?

I'd seriously like to know. Would you simply not do anything to "get the ox out of the mire" so to speak, until the next day? Would you call for help but refuse to accept it unless the person you reached agreed to refuse to be paid for his services? Would you accept help and then beg God for forgiveness?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 AM

302 posts, read 467,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Donna,
That is not true. That is not the message from God. We are no longer under the law.

Galatians 3:10
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

Galatians 3:25
Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Galatians 5:18
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

You are not being led by the Spirit of God. God warns about resisting the Holy Spirit when He say's:

Mark 3:29
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

In Gods words ... Rely on the law = no faith

Donna,
Jesus invites you to live under grace, do not be destroyed by the law.
Please help me understand. Are you telling us that you are not subject to the law of God?

Old 03-08-2009, 12:27 PM

37,596 posts, read 25,288,180 times
Quote:
Please help me understand. Are you telling us that you are not subject to the law of God?
You have indicated quite clearly on numerous occasions here that you have no interest whatsoever in understanding anything . . .Moderator cut: edit However, yet again will I try to elevate your spirit to a more mature level than that of an obedient pet.

We are subject to the superior "Spirit of the law" . . . that of grace under guidance of the Holy Spirit. It expands the control over self under a superior "state of mind" . . . Love of God and each other . . . replacing the primitive fear motive necessary in a more savage time. It provides the finer distinctions in behavior (beyond ten measly proscriptions) that are encompassed in the proper "state of mind." Fear corrupts the "state of mind" . . . as does mere obedience under coercion. We are to be independent self-directed spriits operating voluntarily under Love of God and each other, period.

Ephesians 4:22-24 (King James Version)

22That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Romans 8:6

For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Romans 12:2

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1 Corinthians 2:16

For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:14

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-08-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 01:59 PM

589 posts, read 1,317,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Donna,

Maybe you'll be so kind as to answer these three questions your husband pleaded the fifth on:

1. If your husband were to have a serious stroke on the Sabbath, what would you do?

2. If one of your children or grandchildren (provided you have either and they are still young) were to be abducted on the Sabbath, what would you do?

3. If your house were to burst into flames on the Sabbath, what would you do?

I'd seriously like to know. Would you simply not do anything to "get the ox out of the mire" so to speak, until the next day? Would you call for help but refuse to accept it unless the person you reached agreed to refuse to be paid for his services? Would you accept help and then beg God for forgiveness?
The above post is not addressed to me but I would try to answer it. I think it is alright to do what is necessary in the above situations even on a Sabbath Day. To do nothing is against common sense and that is not the intention of God for Sabbath. Even JC heals on Sabbath when by chance he met a suffering man. Only the hypocrite Pharisees (religious leaders) of his days insisted on ridiculous rules to make Sabbath a burden.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:31 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,348,826 times
Quote:
It is lawful to do good on the sabbath (without pay).

JESUS DID NOT PROFANE THE SABBATH!
I did not say that Jesus profaned the Sabbath. How can He profane a day that He created. But if HE wanted to work on the Sabbath, He could have because He created the day.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:41 PM

21,282 posts, read 20,922,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
The above post is not addressed to me but I would try to answer it. I think it is alright to do what is necessary in the above situations even on a Sabbath Day. To do nothing is against common sense and that is not the intention of God for Sabbath. Even JC heals on Sabbath when by chance he met a suffering man. Only the hypocrite Pharisees (religious leaders) of his days insisted on ridiculous rules to make Sabbath a burden.
I believe you're absolutely right. Harold Kupp, however, refused to answer them and it's starting to look like Donna is going to follow suit.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:02 PM

18 posts, read 21,963 times
Hi Donna, Hi Richio,
I would just like to thank you both for responding to my question regarding the Sabbath day.
Though I have been a Christian for a number of years, I have never thoughtfully considered the historical facts surrounding the Sabbath. It is also the case that I have never been informed of these facts by a single church I have attended. Nonetheless, the responsibility lies with me.
Donna,
I have read the information regarding manna and the Sabbath day on your other sight and found it to be quite helpful. Thanks

I would appreciate everyone's prayers as I search this out for myself. There seems to be a lot of information out there on the subject, and my tendency is to have to go through it all.

As my understanding progresses in this subject (and others), I will try and post what I am learning on this forum in hopes that what I am learning might become more complete by the examination of others in the Body of Christ.
Thanks again

Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM

302 posts, read 467,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking manna View Post
Hi Donna, Hi Richio,
I would just like to thank you both for responding to my question regarding the Sabbath day.
Though I have been a Christian for a number of years, I have never thoughtfully considered the historical facts surrounding the Sabbath. It is also the case that I have never been informed of these facts by a single church I have attended. Nonetheless, the responsibility lies with me.
Donna,
I have read the information regarding manna and the Sabbath day on your other sight and found it to be quite helpful. Thanks

I would appreciate everyone's prayers as I search this out for myself. There seems to be a lot of information out there on the subject, and my tendency is to have to go through it all.

As my understanding progresses in this subject (and others), I will try and post what I am learning on this forum in hopes that what I am learning might become more complete by the examination of others in the Body of Christ.
Thanks again
You are very welcome. "Prove all things and hold fast that which is good.".

Donna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or