U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 04:27 AM

302 posts, read 476,261 times

Advertisements

One summer my husband, Harold, brought me in a flower that he had picked and said: "Donna, even the weeds you grow are pretty" then he added, "I got them all pulled up for you." My helpful partner didn't know that I had wanted to brighten up that corner of the yard and had scattered some flower seeds along the edge of our property.

Well, we can all have a good chuckle with Harold that he mistook my flowers for weeds. The problem is that errors like this are happening in the church of God ...and it isn't funny because it hurts to be rejected by other believers. (I can speak from experience.)

We can learn some lessons in discernment by looking at the two reasons why Harold pulled up my flowers. One, he didn't recognize the flower; and secondly, it wasn't growing where he expected a flower to grow. Even after he saw the flowers' beauty, he treated them as weeds because they were not growing in an established bed.

So too, in Christendom, the testimony and character of a person can be admired but he is still rejected by other believers. Why? The answer to that question is: MANY OF GOD'S PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO IDENTIFY A SAINT so they must depend upon their unreliable intuition. Their reasoning goes something like this: "Since they are not part of MY church, they are probably a "weed". After all, I believe The Truth and if they don't believe exactly what I believe, they must be false."

Friends, A flower is a flower wherever it grows and history has proven this is also true of saints. The most hardy and rare ones did not come from seminary hothouses but sprang up outside the gates of religious institutions. Isn't it time for us to learn from the scriptures how to correctly identify a saint? We read:

"Here is the patience of the SAINTS, they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Rev 14:12

That simple test will keep us from making the same old errors in discernment that have hurt the church in the past. If anyone believes in Jesus and obeys the Ten Commandments, he is one of God's flowers ... and every flower in a bouquet doesn't have to be exactly the same.

Knowing this, the next time we meet that obedient brother or sister in some unexpected place, we will be able to accept our new friend as a lovely gift from God.

Donna Kupp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Romans 14:5-8
The 14th Chapter of Romans deals with food and drink. Nevertheless, many people today incorrectly use those verses as an argument against the seventh day sabbath and its observance.

I refer the interested reader to the thread:

Keep my Commandments --Sabbath #8
Romans 14:5-6 What did Paul Mean?

Old 12-21-2008, 06:08 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,899,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
The 14th Chapter of Romans deals with food and drink. Nevertheless, many people today incorrectly use those verses as an argument against the seventh day sabbath and its observance.

I refer the interested reader to the thread:

Keep my Commandments --Sabbath #8
Romans 14:5-6 What did Paul Mean?
I suppose it's all in how the Holy Spirit directs you.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I suppose it's all in how the Holy Spirit directs you.
The Holy Spirit never-ever directs a person to disobey the Ten Commandments and the words of Jesus. Period!

Only a spirit of anti-Christ would lead a person to disobey God. It may come with "signs and wonders" and wonderful feelings that can be perceived by the senses of your flesh; but it is still an enemy of Christ.

When a spirit injects a thought or reasoning into our mind that tempts us to disobey God, we are responsible for the choice that we make. Each of us must decide to either cast down those vain imaginations and obey God --or walk in disobedience that will lead to eternal death.

"Casting down imaginations*, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" 2 Corinthians 10:5

"And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:3-4

In this time of great deception and apostasy from truth, our protection is to "Prove all things and hold fast that which is good." (See 1 Thess 5:19-22)

Donna Kupp

* Imaginations. Margin: Or, reasonings.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,899,378 times

Old 12-21-2008, 11:14 AM

39,885 posts, read 26,635,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
The Holy Spirit never-ever directs a person to disobey the Ten Commandments and the words of Jesus. Period
True. The key to understanding all this obedience language is to understand that there was no notion of role models or emulating of attitudes and behaviors. There was only obedience to someone or self-centered attitudes and behavior. How else could they convey that we are to BE like Jesus in attitude and behavior than to say OBEY.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,736 times
Default Just a new guy...

I agree, the one and only true Sabbath is Saturday (the day Jesus worshipped on so I choose to do as he) which is also the 7th day of the week (as defined in my Merriam-Websters Dictionary) and was the "only" day God sanctified and made holy. I find it very difficult to comprehend how Jesus is considered our Sabbath?? Now where in my Bible (NIV) is he referred to as the Sabbath. Jesus is our Savior. Many other names are given to Jesus such as Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, Immanuel, but not Sabbath? Since Jesus worshipped on the Sabbath, 1John 2:6 (NIV) states, "Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did". So, is it really important to follow his footsteps and do as he did? I believe so. Do you?

Old 12-22-2008, 05:46 AM

Default The Forgotten Sheaf

Matthew 6:1-4 GIVING ALMS THE RIGHT WAY

In the sermon on the mount, Jesus taught his disciples about the right way to give alms by saying:

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand
doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly." Matt 6:1-4 (KJV)

Those words of Jesus, "let not thy left hand know what the right hand doeth" were an expression that his disciples understood because they harmonized with the time in which they lived and the moral precepts of the law.

Through the instruction of the scriptures, we understand how our heavenly Father provides for the righteous poor. Oh what wisdom! The gifts are given in secret so the child of God is never ashamed and the alms-giver does not receive the praises of men.

"HANDFULS" REFERS TO HARVESTING GRAIN

The invention of mechanical harvest machines has changed the way grains are harvested. Here, we read about the harvest grains brought forth by HANDFULS when Joseph was in Egypt: "And in the seven plenteous years the earth brought forth by handfuls." Gen 41:47 (KJV)

THE FORGOTTEN SHEAF

The forgotten sheaf of harvest is an example of alms-giving that is done in secret. Truly the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing when the sheaf was forgotten in the field!

"But thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee thence: therefore I command thee to do this thing.

When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hands." Deut 24:18-19

Dear Reader, I encourage you to read the short book of Ruth. It is a biography of Ruth, the Moabitess, who became the wife of Boaz the great-grand father of King David. Boaz obeyed the statute of the forgotten sheaf and even told his workmen to purposely pull out sheaves from the bound bundles. The Father which seeth in secret himself rewarded Boaz openly. The name of Boaz is listed in the two genealogies of Jesus the Messiah! (Matthew 1:5; Luke 3:32)

HANDFULS Of PURPOSE
"And when she [Ruth] was risen up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men, saying, Let her glean even among the sheaves, and reproach her not:
And let fall also some of the handfuls of purpose for her, and leave them, that she may glean them, and rebuke her not." Ruth 2:15-16 KJV

Let us ask our heavenly Father for wisdom and understanding about the spirit of the law of the forgotten sheaf as we serve the righteous needy of our time.

Donna Kupp

Old 12-22-2008, 06:20 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,077,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
For those of you who believe that the 10 commandments are Gods Law and is not done away with, how do you keep the sabbath? Is Saturday the seventh day?

Every day is our Sabbath with Jesus. He is the fulfillment of the Law.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:20 AM

Default What Does "Baptism In The Name Of Jesus" Mean?

Part of the church has a creed that says a convert must be baptized in the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Another group's dogma says that the convert must be baptized in the NAME of Jesus Christ. Each sect quotes scripture to authenticate its doctrine.

Since we know that the scriptures are truth --and truth
never contradicts itself, we must come to the conclusion
that these two verses have a shared meaning: baptism INTO the authority of God.

"Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them INTO the NAME of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." Matt 28:19-20 ASV)

AND

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you IN the NAME of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2:38

"Name" does not refer to a person; rather, it refers to power. The error (and division) comes from making the words said at baptism an incantation that is required for salvation. On the contrary:

SALVATION COMES FROM THE EXPERIENCE
THAT THE WORDS REPRESENT --NOT THE WORDS!

"To be baptized in the NAME of Jesus Christ" is to be baptized into His authority.

"To be baptized into the NAME of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit" means exactly the same thing! We are baptized into the authority of JESUS CHRIST who was sent by the FATHER to rule Israel.

BAPTISM DELIVERS PEOPLE TO A NEW AUTHORITY

The words spoken at baptism represent a powerful spiritual experience similar to the deliverance of ancient Israel from its bondage to Pharaoh.The children of Israel had been slaves of Pharaoh until they were baptized INTO Moses.

When Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, the LORD caused the sea to go back and the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground. Later, when the Egyptians pursued them to the midst of the sea, the LORD said unto Moses, stretch out thine hand over the sea, that the waters may come again upon the Egyptians. At the Red Sea, The LORD saved Israel from the rule of Pharaoh and baptized them INTO the authority of Moses:

"I want you to know, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized INTO Moses in the cloud and in the sea." 1 Cor 10:1-2 (RSV)

The baptism of Israel in the Red Sea INTO the authority of Moses delivered them from the power of Pharaoh INTO the authority of God. In the same way, the baptism of believers delivers them from the power of Satan INTO the protection of the kingdom of God.

"...Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us INTO the kingdom of his dear Son." Col 1:13

Donna Kupp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or