Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,517,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Really Marininark? He spoke on all the other 9 and never elaborated on the Sabbath? God established the Sabbath, before the other 9: He rested on the seventh day after all the worked He's been doing. God bless the seventh day and made it Holy, because He rested from all His work. (Genesis 2: 1-3). From the BEGINNING of Creation!

God never ask us to do something He Himself did'nt do. You want a New Testament Scripture that backs this teaching? What's wrong with the old one? God does'nt change. He is the same God today, yesterday, tommorrow, next week...........................!!!

Is there a new scripture for the other 9? Thou shall not steal? Lie? Covet? Honor thy mother and father..............................really?

Obey them all, or obey none of them! Or just obey what you want. Your choice! What separates us from the sinners if we shall obey only nine? For sin is sin, and disobedience is disobedience.

I am talking about Christ and the new covenant. What are you talking about?
Do you think Christ re-stablished the Mosaic Law?

I suggest you leave the Old Law and look into the new law of liberty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,407,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I am talking about Christ and the new covenant. What are you talking about?
Do you think Christ re-stablished the Mosaic Law?

I suggest you leave the Old Law and look into the new law of liberty!
You asked the questions, I supplied the answers, but, it's Not what you want to hear. You suggest I forget about the old Law? And look into the new law of liberty? With all due respect, I like the "old law" just the way it is! I'll keep worshiping on the Sabbath, along with my children, thanks. I'll rather be under the "old law" and be in obedience, than take a chance and perish.

I'll take obedience over sacrifice any day! Inward Sabbath of the soul, will delight you in the outward keeping of the Sabbath. I'll take that chance. Bless.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 PM

302 posts, read 550,861 times
Default "...If thou wilt enter into life, keep the Commandments."

Quote:
I believe a close study of what Jesus taught will show that He spoke on all the the other 9, and elaborated on them as to how we are to obey them. He never included the Sabbath day in His teachings. It seems strange to me that those who are so adament about it, cannot give a new testament scripture that backs up their teachings.

In the epistles we are told that some observe one day, and some all days, and that the day we observe to the Lord is up to us. ( I am paraphrasing).
I do not find any place where Christians are to have a day of rest. We are to have a day when we assemble together to observe all that we are taught to do. The early disciples did that on the first day of the week. The first day of the week is now called sunday. That was not started by the RC, it was started by the Christians following the resurrection Of Christ.

It is also written that those who keep one of the Old Law and not all of them, are guilty of all. Regardless of what is taught, the 10 commandments are part of the Mosaic Law. None of them are Law for the Christian. Christ nailed them all to His cross. He instituted the new covenent, with includes the principles of all of the ten commandments except the Sabbath.

This has been studied extensively by those who know and love the new covenant. They have taken the entire new law that is taught in the new covenant, as it is taught in the bible. In no place is the keeping of the sabbath taught.

Those who chose to worship God on saturday are free to do so, under the new law of Christ, but they are not free to bind it on others. If they are doing so because they are convinced they must keep the 10 commandments that came from Moses, they have to keep every bit of it, and by doing so, it is written that they have fallen from grace that do so.
Jesus said: " ... if thou wilt enter into life, keep the Commandments." Matthew 19:17

When he was asked "Which?" Jesus referred to the Ten Commandments. verses 18 and 19.

The Ten Commandments are the perfect law of God --
and he added no more! If you break one of them, you have transgressed the law. Period! See James 2:10-11

Read on --and you will learn that The Ten Commandments did not come from Moses at all! It was the LORD that spoke the Ten Commandments for all of Israel to hear. They are The Commandments of God.

THE ORIGINAL COVENANT

Without understanding the basis of the OLD Covenant, we cannot understand the basis of the NEW Covenant. The shocking truth is that despite unequivocal Biblical testimony many who believe in the Bible refuse to accept the fact that the New Covenant is a renewal of the original Covenant Yahweh made with Israel - the Ten Commandments - nothing more and nothing less.

THE ORIGINAL COVENANT - TEN COMMANDMENTS

Deut 4:13
"So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone. (NKJ)

Nothing is stated more clearly in the Bible "...His covenant...the ten commandments...on two tablets of stone AND HE ADDED NO MORE:

Deut 5:22
"These words the LORD spoke to all your assembly, in the mountain from the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; AND HE ADDED NO MORE. And He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me. (NKJ)

TEN COMMANDMENTS AND HE ADDED NO MORE!

And yet this simple truth is ignored or rejected by the vast majority of those who claim that the Bible is the word of God. The original Covenant was NOT the 613 commandments, judgments and statutes stated in the Torah - it was the 10 Commandments - period!

If one does not understand that fact it is impossible to understand the teachings of the Jesus, the apostles and in particular the writings of Paul concerning the New Covenant.

The laws of the "New Covenant" are exactly the same as the original Covenant - the Ten Commandments. The New Covenant is a renewal of the original - not a replacement.

What is new about the New Covenant?
1. A new sacrifice.
OLD - ratified by the blood of animals
NEW - ratified by the blood of the Messiah

2. A new method of communication.
OLD - indirectly through the Priest
NEW - directly through the Spirit

3. A new way to write the law of Yahweh.
OLD - written on stone
NEW - written on the heart

If that is true then what did the apostle Paul mean when he said: Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? IT WAS ADDED because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made;" Was Paul speaking of the Ten Commandments? Absolutely not! Paul was referring to the SECOND Covenant Yahweh made with Israel AFTER THEY BROKE THE FIRST.- not the original Ten Commandment Covenant.

The Mosaic law was a second covenant (with a second set of tablets) which was made with Israel before they entered Caanan. Deut 29:1 These are the terms of the covenant the LORD commanded Moses to make with the Israelites in Moab, IN ADDITION to the covenant he had made with them at Horeb.

"...the covenant...in Moab...in addition...

There were TWO covenants made with Israel -the first was the Ten Commandments " and he added no more". The second was made in Moab and included the 613 commandments, judgments and statutes of the Mosaic law. After they worshipped the idol, Yahweh was going to destroy the Israelites, but Moses begged the Lord for their forgiveness and the nation was allowed a reprieve, but with a much stricter set of rules designed to keep their minds on obedience to Yahweh's law. This second covenant was the "yoke of bondage."

That is what Paul meant when he said: "Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions" The Mosaic law was added to the original covenant (the Ten Commandments) because of Israel's transgressions.

Donna Kupp

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
freetruth.info

Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,517,556 times
"Jesus said: " ... if thou wilt enter into life, keep the Commandments." Matthew 19:17"

If course Jesus told them that. He was speaking to the Jews, and they were still under that Law. The new covenant did not come into being until after Christ's death and resurrection.
Please study the book of Hebrews.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Sabbath Truth - Which Day is the Sabbath?

Man changed the calender, God did'nt change, He is the same all day, everyday. Study All the Books! Obey All His commandments. ALL......................................Final Answer!!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
I always keep the sabbath which is sunday. For others it maybe a different day since we all work different schedules.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM

I always tell the truth on most days............ but may stretch it just a little on Tuesdays. Okay!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 AM

302 posts, read 550,861 times
Quote:
"Jesus said: " ... if thou wilt enter into life, keep the Commandments." Matthew 19:17"

If course Jesus told them that. He was speaking to the Jews, and they were still under that Law. The new covenant did not come into being until after Christ's death and resurrection.
Please study the book of Hebrews.
I have studied the book of Hebrews. What would you like to talk about?

Here is Jesus' message to the churches:

"Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie." Revelation 22:14-15

John, the beloved apostle said this to Christians:

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him."
1 John 2:4

Donna Kupp

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
freetruth.info

Old 01-16-2009, 08:24 AM

777 posts, read 1,435,271 times
The Law given on the mountain (The Ten Commandments) consists of basic statements.
The first four, deal with our relationship with God. The next four deal with our relationship with people. The last two begin to address the intent of the heart.

When it is said that we are not under the Law, it is referring to the rules and regulations concerning offerings, ceremonial cleansing, food regulations, hygiene, and civil justice.
These how-to rules are called “the letter of the Law” - the 600 plus rules which we’re no longer under.

These regulations were not given to Moses at the same time as the Ten Commandments.
The rabbis even went beyond these rules and established the Talmud – an oral tradition of even more rules and various loopholes making “the Law” even more demanding.
And according to their logic, their rules actually superseded the Law of Moses.

When Jesus spoke of “the teachers of the Law”, He was referring to those who taught the Talmud.
When the New Testament refers to the “letter of the Law”, it is dealing with the rules and regulations given to Moses.

So did God declare that He would abolish the Ten Commandments?
No. Actually, He said He would them on our hearts as a new covenant.
"Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt,
My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD.
"But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD,
"I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Jeremiah 31:31-33
Did Jesus say he had come to free us from these Ten Commandments?
"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Matthew 5:17,18
Some people say it was finished on the cross, but heaven and earth haven't yet passed away.

The remainder of Chapter five shows us what it means to have the Law written on our hearts.
And Paul distinguishes the difference between the Spirit of the law and the letter of the Law in Romans 8.

We must be led by the Spirit (8:16) and that includes the Spirit of the Law.

Some say that Sunday is the day, but Jesus called Himself Lord of the Sabbath. (Mat 12:8)
Who changed it?
Man.
How much of the Ten Commandments is subject to being changed?
Not a jot or a title – not one stroke, until heaven and earth are passed away.

While I advocate the keeping of the Sabbath, it is important to note that I advocate the Spirit of the Law, which means don’t start trying to adhere to food regulations and other rabbinical law.

Once I began keeping the Sabbath, I began to see how integral it is to God’s plan.
While I don’t follow OT rules, I’ve studied God’s timetable and the Sabbath is a repeating theme.
There are Sabbath years every seven years.
There is a year of Jubilee beginning every seven Sabbath years. (49 years)
(The instance of the 50th year applied to the first one; that was the beginning of the next 7 sevens.)
There are actually other special Sabbath days in addition to the regular seventh.
These were discredited by Paul - as are festivals of new moons and food regulations. (Col 2:16)
At the time, the Judizers sought to bring Christians back under rabbinical law.
God’s repeating theme of seven is also found in Genesis 1.
Some hold to a literal seven days, but I think it refers to the seven millenniums.
In adding up the generations from Adam to Christ and adding two thousand years, we can see that we are about to enter the seventh millennium.
This is creation’s rest from Satan, since he will be locked away.
It will also be a Sabbath rest for believers as we’ll not have to engage in spiritual warfare.

There are jobs which require a person to work – as in the case of emergency and medical personnel.
It is always acceptable to do good on the Sabbath.
There are small business owners who have employees who depend on this prime day for business, so the issue is now complicated because of the ways of the world.

However, the world is in sync with Sunday, but that does not make it right.
It is inconvenient to be out of sync with the world and out of our comfort zone.

Ever since the early fourth century, we’ve been programmed to adhere to the day of the Sun by the Papal edict in keeping with Constantine’s Pagan and Christian synthesis.

Before one objects too strenuously to the Sabbath, do your research in the Word and in history.
Understand the Sabbath beyond the surface.
Understand how these things changed and who changed them.

Protestants love to object to Catholic doctrine, and yet they cling to the day of the Sun.
...Just as if Jesus Himself declared that the Lord of the Sabbath had come to abolish or even change the Sabbath.

Consider what He DID say:
"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven;
but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:19
If you do decide to begin keeping the Sabbath, make sure you actually understand Romans 8 and the Spirit of the Law.
"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
Mark 2:27
It was established as a rest for us. If we approach it as a task and even a chore, that defeats the purpose.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,909,920 times
I had some of these same questions about the Sabbath, since it is one of the Ten Commandments. However, a closer study of Romans, and some great assistance from Holy Ghost filled believers, revealed that we are under Jesus' grace -- which does not include keeping the Sabbath as in Moses' law. We live every day holy, not just the Sabbath.

This Saturday/Sunday Sabbath-keeping is cultish or fanatical; those that speak in tongues at will, too. Study the scriptures and it will reveal the Truth.

(2 Timothy 2:15) "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity