U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:17 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,831 times

Advertisements

Boy Sent Home From School For Dressing As Jesus

Eighth Grader Told His Halloween Costume Was Offensive, Distracting

Reporting
Sean Hennessey
PARAMUS, N.J. (CBS) ― A Paramus middle school student was sent home Friday after he came to school dressed up as Jesus for Halloween.

For a few hours, Alex Woinski was the messiah of West Brook Middle School, but like the real Jesus, Woinski was condemned, so to speak.

"Sort of like a new remake of what supposedly happened," Woinski told CBS 2.

Decked out in sandals, a robe, fake beard and thorns, the 13-year-old joined 500 other students at his school's Halloween celebration, and on this day, he was the chosen one - to go home.

"It was offensive to some students," Woinski said, when asked what school officials told him the reason for being sent home was.

Woinski says he wore the costume because friends say his long hair makes him a Jesus lookalike, and were not offended by his costume.

The school says thes costume was a disruption and denies its religious nature had anything to do with it.

"I don't think I overreacted," Principal Joan Broe told CBS 2.

Broe said too many students were drawn to the costume, and that was reason enough.

"Children were [asking], where is the boy who is Jesus Christ?" she said. "It was disrupting the education process."

Woinski's parents agree it was political correctness gone amok.

"I think the whole freedom of speech and expression has definitely had a damper put on it, and this is proof of that," says Kim Woinski, Alex's mother.

But it won't put a damper on Woinski's trick or treating. This Jesus has been resurrected for Friday night.

Woinski has developed an interest in religion. His mother is Catholic and his father is Jewish. He recently celebrated his Bar Mitzvah and his also studying Bible scripture.

His school says this was the first time anyone had ever dressed up like Jesus. They say other students were ordered to alter their costumes because they were deemed inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 AM

322 posts, read 643,572 times
The entire episode of Halloween bothers me. I've seen several grown women dressed like witches. What this devilish/pagan thing does to the children is wrong.

Secular people at secular schools are scared of JESUS, so naturally, they would not want any reminders of Him around. They want everything worldly.

Last edited by joedrsaved; 11-01-2008 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-01-2008, 12:53 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,816,000 times
Quote:
PARAMUS, N.J. (CBS) ― A Paramus middle school student was sent home Friday after he came to school dressed up as Jesus for Halloween.

For a few hours, Alex Woinski was the messiah of West Brook Middle School, but like the real Jesus, Woinski was condemned, so to speak.

"Sort of like a new remake of what supposedly happened," Woinski told CBS 2.

Decked out in sandals, a robe, fake beard and thorns, the 13-year-old joined 500 other students at his school's Halloween celebration, and on this day, he was the chosen one - to go home.

"It was offensive to some students," Woinski said, when asked what school officials told him the reason for being sent home was.

Woinski says he wore the costume because friends say his long hair makes him a Jesus lookalike, and were not offended by his costume.

The school says thes costume was a disruption and denies its religious nature had anything to do with it.

"I don't think I overreacted," Principal Joan Broe told CBS 2.

Broe said too many students were drawn to the costume, and that was reason enough.

"Children were [asking], where is the boy who is Jesus Christ?" she said. "It was disrupting the education process."

Woinski's parents agree it was political correctness gone amok.

"I think the whole freedom of speech and expression has definitely had a damper put on it, and this is proof of that," says Kim Woinski, Alex's mother.

But it won't put a damper on Woinski's trick or treating. This Jesus has been resurrected for Friday night.

Woinski has developed an interest in religion. His mother is Catholic and his father is Jewish. He recently celebrated his Bar Mitzvah and his also studying Bible scripture.

His school says this was the first time anyone had ever dressed up like Jesus. They say other students were ordered to alter their costumes because they were deemed inappropriate.

Thanks for sharing this interesting report, Oakback. God bless.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:27 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,451,865 times
I am at lost on how to respond to this without knowing, what was the intent. Was it 'draw' some to ask about Jesus? I think this question could be only answered by the child's parent. And in the above it states: "This Jesus has been resurrected for Friday night." For what purpose?

Old 11-01-2008, 05:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,213,775 times
If the little boy had long hair and wanted to dress up like Jesus than I don't see anything wrong with it. Sure beats all the terrible witches and monsters!!!
I can see the school not wanting that in the school, they do what they can to keep anything to do with God out of the schools...so sad.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,821,382 times
Being this subject was posted twice, I will copy my response from the other thread...

I seriously doubt that the decision to send this boy home did not have anything to do with the religious aspect. The article states clearly that other kids were asked to modify their costumes, so why not ask this boy to modify his rather than send him home. Say for example if what they found offensive was the thorns, okay remove the thorns. But no, the boy was sent home. I wonder how many other students in witches, vampires, grim reaper, devil costumes etc were sent home? Probably none. Funny that the only thing that appeared offensive was that the boy was dressed as Jesus. Seems a clear example that its okay to persecute the christian appearance as being offensive, yet the christians must tolerate all that which is offensive to them as a person's individual freedom of expression.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:37 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,040,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
Being this subject was posted twice, I will copy my response from the other thread...

I seriously doubt that the decision to send this boy home did not have anything to do with the religious aspect. The article states clearly that other kids were asked to modify their costumes, so why not ask this boy to modify his rather than send him home. Say for example if what they found offensive was the thorns, okay remove the thorns. But no, the boy was sent home. I wonder how many other students in witches, vampires, grim reaper, devil costumes etc were sent home? Probably none. Funny that the only thing that appeared offensive was that the boy was dressed as Jesus. Seems a clear example that its okay to persecute the christian appearance as being offensive, yet the christians must tolerate all that which is offensive to them as a person's individual freedom of expression.
Totally agree with your post.... It is just showing the christian how much closer we are to the return of our Lord Jesus....
The hate towards the Light is becoming more and more intense.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:59 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,090,185 times
Actually, it was some Christians who were offended by the Jesus costume for Halloween deeming it disrespectful. But way to jump on the martyr wagon people

Old 11-03-2008, 07:20 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,151,713 times
[quote=curlythecosmo;5967448]Totally agree with your post.... It is just showing the christian how much closer we are to the return of our Lord Jesus....
The hate towards the Light is becoming more and more intense.[/quote]

You know, "hate" is just a strong emotion and I just don't think non-Christian people, for the most part, "hate" Christianity. Most of us just don't accept it as being true...that isn't "hate", that simply having different beliefs. To those of us who are in that place, being accused of "hatred" is very demeaning. I don't "hate" Christians or Christianity, I just believe differently. There are a few rabble rousers who will espouse anger and hatred for Christianity, but they are really in the minority, just as are the "hateful" Christians who threaten non-Christians with Hell and damnation. It goes both ways.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,865,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
The entire episode of Halloween bothers me. I've seen several grown women dressed like witches. What this devilish/pagan thing does to the children is wrong.

Secular people at secular schools are scared of JESUS, so naturally, they would not want any reminders of Him around. They want everything worldly.
Oh please, they weren't SCARED of the costume, they didn't want it to OFFEND Christians. Just like Angel said...it was the Jesus-worshippers that got their panties in a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or