U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:28 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,453,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrypie_skyhigh View Post
I have a question..How do you know when you accept Jesus/God? I've never grown up in a church. My father was catholic and my mother was I think Baptist.. I can't be sure..

Either way the only person who ever had influence on me was my stepmother, who is athiest. She grew up in the church went to a christian private school and completely doesn't believe. Sometimes I think I believe, but then others I'm like come on.. But I WANT to believe I just don't know how to if that makes sense..

Sometimes I pray but I feel nothing when I pray other than silly and I don't feel any kind of attachment to a higher being .. I dunno my husband is a devoted Catholic and prays every night.. How do I know.. where do I go?

As a child I had a dream Jesus came to me on a mountain and I asked him to Prove to me he's real and he touched me and my body was like electric even when I woke up all my hair was electrified but even that dream has no effect on me.. I'm just so lost..
Sweet child of God, that's just it, with that feeling of being lost, go to Him and tell Him just that. Abba, Father, I'm lost and can't seem to find my way. Please help me. What Father would'nt help his child that's crying out for help? Find a quiet place. For me it's my closet in my bedroom. I fall on my knees with my face to the floor and pour my soul out to my Daddy. Pray without ceasing. Come to Him with a humble heart. He is faithful to show up! Yes He will! He came for me! He'll come for you! He showed up as my Comfortor. In the midst of my mess, He loved me anyway! When I should have died Berrypie_skyhigh, He loved me. If you only knew where He brought me from. You will know, yes, you will know when He shows up.. It's a sweet peace that surpasses all understanding. When you get off you knees, give Him praise and glory. He is worthy! Don't give up on Him. He's calling you.

Your sister in Christ Jesus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,412,869 times
I am not sure anything single experience will happen to you.
Just be open "good soil" as one called it.
Find some time each day to pray to be open to recieve him.

Find some part of the church where the people "do good" - help the poor, visit prisons, the eldery, and get involved. The church is God's own creation for he knew that in community the sense of God is more powerful.

To feel him, if you can find people you really learn to know and trust, pray with them. You don't have to sit there and say a thing, During prayer with others is where I have found my strongest most powerful connections to God.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:45 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,450,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

I think you should read the book of John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post

That's confirmation!

June remembers being told the same thing a long, long time ago. She also means absolutely no disrespect in what she is about to say, but suffice it to say that beginning with Chapter One, it was pretty much a challenging incomprehensible undertaking...

Sadly, it's easier said, than done.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:09 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,868,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrypie_skyhigh View Post
Sometimes I pray but I feel nothing when I pray other than silly and I don't feel any kind of attachment to a higher being .. I dunno my husband is a devoted Catholic and prays everynight.. How do I know.. where do I go?

I'm just so lost..
Berry, just because you don't believe in a higher power doesn't make you "lost" or less worthy of a human being. Those of us who do not believe are just as good and decent humans as those who do believe. So don't let a lack of belief get you down. Just do your best in your life, try to live by treating other people as you'd like to be treated, raise your kids (if ya have 'em ) to be decent law-abiding human beings, and let the beliefs fall where they may. Cheers!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,599,785 times
When you pray, ask the Lord to give you child like faith, and to remove the the cynical thorn, of doubt. And believe that he hears your prayers, to replace your unbelief with belief.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:54 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,250,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

And salvation through Christ is easier done than said.

It's a letting go....a surrender....admitting you can not do it on your own and saying 'regardless of how I look or feel, I'm trusting Christ to carry me through'.

One non-Christian erroneously said make sure it feels right to you and that's a gross mistake. The whole concept of Christianity is surrender of yourself ad giving in to god and letting Him reign, not you.

So the right answer is trust Him and follow Him REGARDLESS if it 'feels right' to you.

Chances are that the closer you get to Christ, the less it will 'feel right' to you flesh.

Just some thoughts.....

Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,373,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
And salvation through Christ is easier done than said.

It's a letting go....a surrender....admitting you can not do it on your own and saying 'regardless of how I look or feel, I'm trusting Christ to carry me through'.

One non-Christian erroneously said make sure it feels right to you and that's a gross mistake. The whole concept of Christianity is surrender of yourself ad giving in to god and letting Him reign, not you.

So the right answer is trust Him and follow Him REGARDLESS if it 'feels right' to you.

Chances are that the closer you get to Christ, the less it will 'feel right' to you flesh.

Just some thoughts.....
Amen!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,450,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

It's a letting go....a surrender....

admitting you can not do it on your own and saying 'regardless of how I look or feel, I'm trusting Christ to carry me through'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

There is release, relief, and rest in letting go; in surrender. June acknowledges that.

But in order to do what you are advocating implies some pre-knowledge of that trust in order to possess the capacity to surrender, to let go. --Without which catapults one into a state of self-alienation that one would find utterly excrutiating, and all but unbearable to endure, experience...

You were able to write what you did because you already possess the pre-knowledge which enables you to trust in what you are saying, asking.

"Paperweight, why have you been weighing paper,
wait,
where are you headed?"

Although there must be a reason one's been waiting (or weighted) so long...Somebody holds the key. Somewhere.

Take very, very gentle care.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:01 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,453,633 times
One key, that opens two doors, behind which are two paths, one leading to life everlasting....................the other to death..............................choose carefully!

your sister in Christ Jesus

Old 11-04-2008, 11:52 AM

3,576 posts, read 454,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I am not sure anything single experience will happen to you.
Just be open "good soil" as one called it.
Find some time each day to pray to be open to recieve him.

Find some part of the church where the people "do good" - help the poor, visit prisons, the eldery, and get involved. The church is God's own creation for he knew that in community the sense of God is more powerful.

To feel him, if you can find people you really learn to know and trust, pray with them. You don't have to sit there and say a thing, During prayer with others is where I have found my strongest most powerful connections to God.
Berry,

I agree with Grannynancy. Be open and seek truth, honesty, compassion, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or