U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:07 PM

29 posts, read 354,305 times

Advertisements

I have a question..How do you know when you accept Jesus/God? I've never grown up in a church. My father was catholic and my mother was I think Baptist.. I can't be sure..

Either way the only person who ever had influence on me was my stepmother, who is athiest. She grew up in the church went to a christian private school and completely doesn't believe. Sometimes I think I believe, but then others I'm like come on.. But I WANT to believe I just don't know how to if that makes sense..

Sometimes I pray but I feel nothing when I pray other than silly and I don't feel any kind of attachment to a higher being .. I dunno my husband is a devoted Catholic and prays everynight.. How do I know.. where do I go?

As a child I had a dream Jesus came to me on a mountain and I asked him to Prove to me he's real and he touched me and my body was like electric even when I woke up all my hair was electrified but even that dream has no effect on me.. I'm just so lost..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 06:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,215,860 times
You trust Christ to have paid for you sins on the cross. God then sees us through Christ. The Bible says you need to be "born again" which means that we all had a physical birth but we can have a spiritual birthday. When we ask Christ to come into our lives, forgive our sins, and then work through us by the work of the Holy Spirit he does that. Look at Rev. 3:20. Christ says, "behold I stand at the door and knock (he is knocking at the door of our heart) anyone who hears my voice , and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will fellowship with him".
You don't base your faith on feelings but on the trust that God will do as he says he will. So if you surrender your life to God, he knows your heart.
Then you should read your Bible, find a good Bible based church and begin to grow in your faith. We start out as baby Christians and then we grow throughout our lives.
I think that is why God talks about the faith of a mustard seed. That's is a tiny seed and God knows that your heart is seeking him and he will help you trust Him.
Bless you on your journey.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,377,822 times
Default you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
You trust Christ to have paid for you sins on the cross. God then sees us through Christ. The Bible says you need to be "born again" which means that we all had a physical birth but we can have a spiritual birthday. When we ask Christ to come into our lives, forgive our sins, and then work through us by the work of the Holy Spirit he does that. Look at Rev. 3:20. Christ says, "behold I stand at the door and knock (he is knocking at the door of our heart) anyone who hears my voice , and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will fellowship with him".
You don't base your faith on feelings but on the trust that God will do as he says he will. So if you surrender your life to God, he knows your heart.
Then you should read your Bible, find a good Bible based church and begin to grow in your faith. We start out as baby Christians and then we grow throughout our lives.
I think that is why God talks about the faith of a mustard seed. That's is a tiny seed and God knows that your heart is seeking him and he will help you trust Him.
Bless you on your journey.

it is a journey

Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,377,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrypie_skyhigh View Post
I have a question..How do you know when you accept Jesus/God? I've never grown up in a church. My father was catholic and my mother was I think Baptist.. I can't be sure..

Either way the only person who ever had influence on me was my stepmother, who is athiest. She grew up in the church went to a christian private school and completely doesn't believe. Sometimes I think I believe, but then others I'm like come on.. But I WANT to believe I just don't know how to if that makes sense..

Sometimes I pray but I feel nothing when I pray other than silly and I don't feel any kind of attachment to a higher being .. I dunno my husband is a devoted Catholic and prays everynight.. How do I know.. where do I go?

As a child I had a dream Jesus came to me on a mountain and I asked him to Prove to me he's real and he touched me and my body was like electric even when I woke up all my hair was electrified but even that dream has no effect on me.. I'm just so lost..
Just make sure that whatever you "choose to believe," it MAKES SENSE TO YOU. It is your own mind that is at stake, no sense in driving yourself mad trying to fit puzzle pieces in where they don't go.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 PM

21,422 posts, read 29,558,654 times
I think you should read the book of John.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,774,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I think you should read the book of John.
That's confirmation!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,452,135 times
Confess Jesus Christ as Savior for the cleansing of sin.
Repent of your selfish ways and give your will to G-d.
Be baptized into the Christian life through immersion.
Find a church for attendance, for the benefit of instruction and fellowship with believers.
Read the Bible and attend bible studies for appropriate interpretation.
Live like Christ would today, with humility, reverence, and wisdom, for He is in you.
DM me with any questions too personal for the forum. I ain't everything, but it helps to have answers.
Peace.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:34 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,215,860 times
If you look at John 3:16 it is the gospel (good news) of Christ in a nutshell.
"For God so love the world, that he sent his only Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
So that tells us that God sent his son to die on the cross for our sins. All you need to do is believe that and God accepts us into his family and we will go to Heaven when we die to be with Him.
Ask God for his wisdom on your journey.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,963,414 times
Quote:

Two suggestions;

1- Find a very comfortable place (like a lazy boy chair).
Close your eyes, relax, and think of the one person in your life that loves you with an unconditional love, no matter what you do. Imagine that person wrapping their arms around you and telling you that they love you as you are, and they will always love you and cherish you, and be there for you.
That is a reflection of Jesus's Love for you.

2- Meditate on the parable of the sower.
And be good soil.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:46 AM

17,750 posts, read 15,043,922 times
Quote:

Hi Berrypie_skyhigh,

Jesus said to Peter that flesh and blood did not reveal to him that he is Christ but the Father(Matthew 16:17). If you believe Christ is the Son of God and his Christ you have accepted him.
I don't know how to explain the many reasons but to say I just can't find any other place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or