Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,893,848 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on a believer asking for a sign from God? Personally, I go through lots of doubts and lack of faith. Sometimes I find myself calling on the Lord to show me something. Often I feel ridiculous after doing so and my request is not answered-that said, every time in my life that I have been upset or in turmoil and have prayed for his peace He has given it freely.

Have any of you ever prayed for a sign and received one? Biblically, what is your stance on this? I don't feel it's wrong to do so considering Gideon's fleece test and doubting Thomas but what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,566,823 times
Well I've asked plenty of times, but to no avail. And then there have been times that the "sign" was so blatantly obvious that it was a little scary.

We are told to be specific in our prayers, so I don't see anything wrong with asking for a "specific" sign. It's not always futile to ask, because I have definitely gotten signs when asked. It may take time or it may take a while for it to actually register and for me to recognize that I received a sign, but God will give us indicators if we are really struggling with something. Then other times we just have to trust what we think our hearts are telling us through God and take a leap of faith.

Now asking for a sign on whether or not you should play the lottery or something like that probably isn't a good idea.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
Speaking only for myself, I don't ever ask God for a sign..I have no need to..He is within me, beside me, and I feel his presence most when I need His guidance, comfort or assurance..I don't need signs of His presence, my future,or the end of times..I trust that He will take care of my needs and those of my loved ones..I thank him daily for our close relationship, and He gives me peace in the knowledge that He will never leave me..

Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,105,645 times
I've been in places where I needed something - anything - to hold on to, but it's the overcomer He desires to follow Him. Faith in the face of opposition is what we need, and to believe Him in spite of ____.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,518,212 times
The Pharisees and Saducees occasionally asked Jesus for a sign, He chastized them for doing so.
Mat.12.38 and 16.1 through 4; Mark 8.11,12; Luke 11.16 and 29,30; John 2.18. Again , in a differant context: John 4.48.
True enough, He did not chastize the disciples when they asked for a sign of the destuction of Jerusalem, and of His coming, but most people still do not understand what it was He was telling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity