U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:18 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,645,785 times

Advertisements

Are you praying for those in authority...our President, Vice-Pres., members of the House and Senate, and Governors? Are you praying for the important election to be held this coming Tuesday, Nov 4th? You should, because it is for those contending for positions of authority. The Bible plainly says to pray for those in authority. Why? So that we may have peace and quiet, in godliness and honesty. (among other things)

"I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions,
and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
For kings, and for all that are in authority;
that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour"
(I Timothy 2:1-3).

And....are you praying for your will to be done, or the Lord's will? (Example: Lord..please cause so-and-so to be our next President, because I don't like the other guy...etc, etc) Can you imagine God sitting on His throne, counting the prayers? "Hmmm...let's see. I have 9,243,972 prayers for candidate A, but only 8,127,749 prayers for candidate B....so I guess A gets it!" No...I don't think it works exactly that way. His ways are not our ways, and His thinking is not either. He promotes who He will, for His purpose, even if you happen to be praying for "the other guy". We may not understand, but He causes all things to work together for good...ultimately...

When I was a young Christian, I remember talking with other Christians who would say something like: "I'm praying that so-and-so" will be the next President! And I would be thinking to myself (silently) "Oh for crying out loud! Is he totally unable to think? WHY would ANYONE vote for THAT bumbling idiot? Here I am praying so hard for person "X" to be President, and here this pea-brain has been "canceling me out" all the while...with his prayers!. Maybe I should I pray HARDER STILL to insure God will listen to me, instead of him...?"
God must shake His head quite often at our folly...

Just thought I'd toss this post out there...because it really is so important to pray...

I hope this doesn't seem too "political", but we do have a Biblical exhortation to pray for these guys in authority. (even if we don't like them...)

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 11-02-2008 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 03:39 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,214,942 times
Good thread. I really agree we should be praying for our leaders. In my Wednesday small group we almost always pray for our government and our leaders. Of course we are now praying for the election that God will put Godly people in office.
I agree God does not count the prayers. Nothing tops his plan for His people. I know that God will do what is in his plan even though it doesn't always make sense to me. We are closing in on the end times and things will get rough.
I agree pray, pray, pray!!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 AM

11,918 posts, read 13,820,436 times
Quote:
His ways are not our ways, and His thinking is not either. He promotes who He will, for His purpose, even if you happen to be praying for "the other guy". We may not understand, but He causes all things to work together for good...ultimately...
Amen. God bless.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:18 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,769,549 times
Default lean not to your own understanding...

Great post, BudinAK.

I'm convicted.

I, for one, have become disgusted with this election.
With all of the corporate corruption that I see in the news, it's getting harder and harder to believe that our country's government is doing it's job.

What is going to be done about the bail outs and the way that these executives have taken the money and have already used it for bonuses and parties?
How can this be allowed - at taxpayer expense?
That money should be taken back. Let the companies fail. They are not appreciative.
They caused the problem because of their greed, overspending and corruption. They have proven that they have no respect for the government
or for the citizens who will be paying the bill for many years to come.

And, then, I'm really kind of angry about the fact that gas prices have practically been cut in half just days before the election.
It's a well known fact that the oil companies have been enjoying record profits for the past few years while the rest of us suffer.
I'm having a really hard time believing the story that oil prices have dropped due to a drop in demand.
It's hard to know who to believe anymore.

Yes.

We should also be praying that Christians vote, this election... and we should be asking God who to vote for.

I'm not convinced that's the case in this election.

This election is a power struggle more than any time since 1993... It's about gaining control.
Because of this opportunity, at all levels of government, this election has been one of the dirtiest campaigns I remember.

Every day, I open my mailbox to 5 or 6 campaign ads. All of them accusing their opponent of incompetence and wrongdoing.

Without God's wisdom, how can any of us know who they should vote for?

Without our votes... who will be governing our nation?

When you're praying, please say a prayer for me, too.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-02-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 07:47 AM

322 posts, read 643,800 times
Bud you're right on target with the scripture about praying for those in authority, and everyone for that matter.

Back in the 2000 election, I sat at a restaurant and watched the tv announcer say that they were declaring the democrats had won. For me the issues were purely moral. I left the restaurant and began praying that GOD would make Bush president. After weeks of counting votes over again, we know what happened.

Things looked pretty good till 911 happened. It's amazing that so many people blame Bush, instead of laden. You never hear anyone blame laden for what's happened. Instead most people blame Bush. But the fact is the terrorist flourished in America during Clinton's time and were ready to strike soon after Bush went in.

There is also a scripture in the New Testament about not becoming entangled with the affairs of the world. I would prefer to quietly pray, than become involved in politics.

But anyway, thanks for posting an extremely valuable doctrine. We would all do well to obey the scripture you posted.

It is also important not to put any hope in political candidates. They do have a job to do that is needed. But our trust is in the LORD, not man.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
It's amazing that so many people blame Bush, instead of Bin laden. You never hear anyone blame Bin laden for what's happened.
Instead most people (and politicians) blame Bush.

But the fact is the terrorist flourished in America during Clinton's time and were ready to strike soon after Bush went in.

That is absolutely true.
I don't blame Bush.

I hope you're also going to VOTE.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-02-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,043,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Are you praying for those in authority...our President, Vice-Pres., members of the House and Senate, and Governors? Are you praying for the important election to be held this coming Tuesday, Nov 4th? You should, because it is for those contending for positions of authority. The Bible plainly says to pray for those in authority. Why? So that we may have peace and quiet, in godliness and honesty. (among other things)

"I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions,
and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
For kings, and for all that are in authority;
that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour"
(I Timothy 2:1-3).

And....are you praying for your will to be done, or the Lord's will? (Example: Lord..please cause so-and-so to be our next President, because I don't like the other guy...etc, etc) Can you imagine God sitting on His throne, counting the prayers? "Hmmm...let's see. I have 9,243,972 prayers for candidate A, but only 8,127,749 prayers for candidate B....so I guess A gets it!" No...I don't think it works exactly that way. His ways are not our ways, and His thinking is not either. He promotes who He will, for His purpose, even if you happen to be praying for "the other guy". We may not understand, but He causes all things to work together for good...ultimately...

When I was a young Christian, I remember talking with other Christians who would say something like: "I'm praying that so-and-so" will be the next President! And I would be thinking to myself (silently) "Oh for crying out loud! Is he totally unable to think? WHY would ANYONE vote for THAT bumbling idiot? Here I am praying so hard for person "X" to be President, and here this pea-brain has been "canceling me out" all the while...with his prayers!. Maybe I should I pray HARDER STILL to insure God will listen to me, instead of him...?"
God must shake His head quite often at our folly...

Just thought I'd toss this post out there...because it really is so important to pray...

I hope this doesn't seem too "political", but we do have a Biblical exhortation to pray for these guys in authority. (even if we don't like them...)

Bud
Excellent post... and all are good post!!! World Citizen you hit some very good points.
Yes, if anything one should be always praying without ceasing in and for our government authority. Whether it's an election or not!!

Blessings

Old 11-02-2008, 11:37 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,250,525 times
I'm praying for the leaders. In addition I'm praying for an end to the toxic division in the country. That scares me more than most anything else.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 PM

2,255 posts, read 4,797,661 times
I'm actually amazed that no one mentions the Lords Prayer and the solution Jesus gave in it's example for ridding the Earth of failed government. That or at least the gist of that prayer is the only one Christians should be praying for.

Pray for God's Kingdom by Christ Jesus. I hear alot of talk about this government or that government , or this politician over that politician, but no one seems to look to Jesus Christ as mankinds only solution. These men are all failures in running anything to do with our planet. Really , your prayer to God should reflect how much you all want this to end.

I wonder what those 40,000,0000,000+ Evangelicals were praying for back in the 1930s Nazi Germany? I don't think God answered their prayers.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 PM

And, it could be that too many christians just have their heads in the sand believing that they should sit home and do nothing at all but pray...

In so doing, they hand over the decision to the people who vote.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-02-2008 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity