U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,166,578 times

Advertisements

P.S. Sorry...but you really touched on a nerve with your careless words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 04:17 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
[/b]

I wonder how many children you have lost? I have lost a son, my only son, and let me tell you from my heart, I am a very strong woman but the pain of losing my child certainly did not make me stronger. In fact, it was the final blow that cemented my loss of Christian faith! If God knew my son was going to die and knew how it would affect me, then why on earth did he allow it to happen? He must have known I would given up any faith I may have had...so obviously he did not care.
With sincerity and a sorrowful heart, I truly extend my prayer and thoughts your way.

My mom cried out to God during my teenage years, when I went reprobate - meth, cocaine, marijuana, etc - and she later told me that God answered her with a sympathetic, yet stern admonition:

"I know your pain - that was my Son that hung battered and scorned between heaven and earth, but I could see then as I see now that redemption wasn't far away..."

Old 11-04-2008, 04:47 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,483,688 times
Quote:

I am sorry that you considered my words careless. I have not lost a child of my own, unless you can count the pregnancy in the tube that I had. It ruptured and I was 2 minutes away from death when I arrived at the hospital. So...I not only lost what would have been my second child, I came very close to not surviving to raise my only child....a son. I had no other pregnancies because I had cancer of the cervix....Thank God, it was discovered in the earliest stage., but my doctor did a hysterectomy to prevent a recurrence. I have never been bitter about that, either.
In my 76 years of life, I have lost those close to me. Some from untimely deaths. I do not chose to dwell on such things.
My mother lost her first born when he was 21 months old, by drowning. She did not spend her life in mourning or in anger. She obeyed the gospel in her later years, and although she died from lung cancer, she did not turn away from, or against, God.

BTW, there is a differance between being physically strong, and spiritually strong.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,464,494 times
Default Through it all

Quote:
What do you say to someone that have experience such lost? What can I say? But I can relate somehow. As a nurse we are taught that pain is what that person has experienced or is experiencing. That's why we use a scale of 1-10 with ten being unbearable. With that being said, pain is to that persons what pain is. I just buried my dear mother exactly 16 days today. I had lots of wonderful people praying on my behalf. Especially right here on CD. There were moments when I thought I would break down from crying so much. But through it all, I learned to trust in Jesus, learned to trust in God even more so. Knowing that He only gave us trials, to make us strong.

Don't give up on Him. There is coming a day when there will be no more death, no more pain, no more suffering. All tears will be wipe from our eyes, my friend. Hold fast to this promise. There is a way to see our love ones again. I'm holding on to that promise. If you like, I can pray that your faith be renewed in Christ Jesus. There's a lot of wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus on here, who would be willing to do so also, without a doubt. Just say the word.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 11-04-2008 at 05:35 PM..

Old 11-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,166,578 times
I apologize for being so abrupt in my earlier post...the thing is, when my son died I had a lot of Christian friends quoting scripture and saying the same things you have said in your posts...kind and caring things but not at all what I needed to hear. I have buried both parents, a sibling and several dear friends but NOTHING compares to the loss of a child. It is not natural. However, I have not given up on god, per se. I do believe in a creator and I feel I am very strong spiritually...I just do not believe in the Christian religion.

I can accept and live with the idea that it was my son's time to pass...his spirit had accomplished and learned all it was meant to do and learn this time on earth. Some people have spirits that are simply meant to fly and my son was one of them. I am not in mourning and I am not angry...it has been almost nine years and I have moved on, so to speak, as there are others I have to love and much life to live. My initial point was that not all people mourn or heal the same way, and to state that a certain belief system is the answer for all sorts of pain is just not the case. There are many belief systems and many ways of healing...but trust me when I say that one never "gets over" the loss of a child. I don't care what your religion is.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:18 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,221,631 times
esselcue~I am so sorry for your loss. When my brother passed away my mom felt the same way as you did. Oh he's in Heaven, this is God's plan, etc, etc. Sometimes all you need is a loving friend who sits with you and lets you cry, with out all the words of wisdom!
My mom said what really killed her is that she would see good friends in the store not long afterwords and they wouldn't even ask how she was doing. I don't think many of us deal with death very well.
I'm reading a great book. It's called One Year, book of Hope by Nancy Guthrie. She wrote this after losing two children in a row. I can't imagine the pain. This came out of the grief group and what they learned. I have gotten so much out of this book.
Take special care~driftwoodpoint

Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
(15).Then the Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.
(16). And the Lord God commanded the man, saying. "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; (see here, created with free will)
(17). "but of the tree of knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
God created everything, so it's his fault for putting the evil tree there in the first place! What a trickster. He's like, "hehe, I wonder how long it will take before they eat this. I bet it will be Eve first, she's a woman."

Quote:
(1). Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, "Has God indeed said, 'You shall not eat of every tree of the garden'?"
(2). And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat the fruit of the tree of the garden;
(3). "but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, 'You shall not eat, nor touch it, lest you die."
(4). and the serpent said to the woman, "You will not surely die.
(5). for God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." See here again, we had no concept of evil, we had it all!)
So it's the snake's fault, then? And where did this snake come from? Did God create it? He created everything, so of course he did.
Quote:
(6). Pay close attention here: So when the woman saw that the tree was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. (7).Then the eyes of both of them was opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed together and made themselves coverings.
The one sin that caused all the world's suffering was thinking.
Quote:
Disobedience! That what got us here today. And you dare blame God for allowing it to happen? He cause it? No.
YES. He put the tree there, he made the snake, he gave humans free will, and he knows everything, so He knew what would happen when he did all this. He did everything that led up to all this suffering, so it is HIS FAULT.

(According to the bible...)

Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 AM

7,544 posts, read 11,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
God created everything, so it's his fault for putting the evil tree there in the first place! What a trickster. He's like, "hehe, I wonder how long it will take before they eat this. I bet it will be Eve first, she's a woman."

So it's the snake's fault, then? And where did this snake come from? Did God create it? He created everything, so of course he did.

YES. He put the tree there, he made the snake, he gave humans free will, and he knows everything, so He knew what would happen when he did all this. He did everything that led up to all this suffering, so it is HIS FAULT.

You are not far from the Truth, grasshopper.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,464,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post

Always learning, never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. In all your logic, get understanding. Stop over analysing everything. Step out of the box. God is bigger than your mind can comprehend. You were given truth and chose not to believe it, because you can't wrap your sinful mind around it. That's what free will is. Believe or not believe. It's entirely up to you. If you like I can pray for you that you come to the full knowledge of the truth. Just say the word.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Always learning, never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. In all your logic, get understanding. Stop over analysing everything. Step out of the box. God is bigger than your mind can comprehend. You were given truth and chose not to believe it, because you can't wrap your sinful mind around it. That's what free will is. Believe or not believe. It's entirely up to you. If you like I can pray for you that you come to the full knowledge of the truth. Just say the word.
Lol. Ethnocentricity, pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or