U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama won....so what's the explanation for that?
God didn't hear the prayers of those who prayed for McCain to win. 2 2.78%
God's will was done, and He wanted Obama elected. 29 40.28%
Other....explain. 41 56.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM

692 posts, read 1,538,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
What you absolutely fail to understand is that this election has a profound impact on many people (here and abroad). There is a black couple in my parents neighborhood. They are both professors at a University. Very bright wonderful people with a wonderful family. My parents brought them a bottle of champagne to celebrate. This was a man whose grandfather was born of slavery in the South. The wife couldn't stop crying the next day out of sheer joy.

You make this election decision sound like a dirty thing. Shame on you. Shame on you for not recognizing perspective and relying on the same old fear mongering set forth approximately 6 years ago.

This was absolute history in the making for a very young country. This is a democracy in progress and while it is far from perfect it is certainly one of the more perfect democracies in the world. Does it end racism in this country? Certainly not but it does provide hope.. faith if you will.. I'm sure you understand what faith is Hoosier. Do you not?

As to enjoying the mess our country.. nay what the world is destined for as you so eloquently put... Well I invite you to continue to sit on your proverbial front porch and yell at the kids on the sidewalk. I invite you to continue the bitterness and not see what just happened in America. I Invite all these things for you because if you haven't recognized the importance, the sheer magnitude of what just happened in this country.. then you never will.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bigthirsty again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,777,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
What you absolutely fail to understand is that this election has a profound impact on many people (here and abroad). There is a black couple in my parents neighborhood. They are both professors at a University. Very bright wonderful people with a wonderful family. My parents brought them a bottle of champagne to celebrate. This was a man whose grandfather was born of slavery in the South. The wife couldn't stop crying the next day out of sheer joy.

You make this election decision sound like a dirty thing. Shame on you. Shame on you for not recognizing perspective and relying on the same old fear mongering set forth approximately 6 years ago.

This was absolute history in the making for a very young country. This is a democracy in progress and while it is far from perfect it is certainly one of the more perfect democracies in the world. Does it end racism in this country? Certainly not but it does provide hope.. faith if you will.. I'm sure you understand what faith is Hoosier. Do you not?

As to enjoying the mess our country.. nay what the world is destined for as you so eloquently put... Well I invite you to continue to sit on your proverbial front porch and yell at the kids on the sidewalk. I invite you to continue the bitterness and not see what just happened in America. I Invite all these things for you because if you haven't recognized the importance, the sheer magnitude of what just happened in this country.. then you never will.

You automatically assume my comments are because the man is black. How very southern of you. His color has nothing to do with it. Let's usher in four years of people assuming you don't like the president or what he stands for because of his color. And BTW, not that it should matter but I've dated black women and my daughter's best friend is black. Again, I shouldn't even have to say that, but evidently I do. Us northerners don't think the same way southern folk think.

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-07-2008 at 07:05 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 07:01 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,451,131 times
God's will is being done! Please let's not turn this into a black or white thing. Who cares? You just sit back and see what God is going to do! The world love Obama, that's great. That's if you're of this world.........................

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 11-07-2008 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 10:19 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,060,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
You automatically assume my comments are because the man is black.
Nice.. you are assuming what I assume.

Pray tell.. when did I assume your comments were because the man was black? I actually just assumed you were bitter cause your horse didn't make it across the line. Thanks for bringing up the that you assumed thats what I thought... cause now I totally assume thats what you thought.

Quote:
How very southern of you.
Your statement makes no sense. Its like me saying "how very gravy of you." scratching your head? me too.

Quote:
His color has nothing to do with it.
The fact that you don't see that his color has everything to do with a major historical event that just happened.. is more proof that you have no idea what is going on in this world. Please turn off Leave it to beaver and join the rest of us.

Quote:
Let's usher in four years of people assuming you don't like the president or what he stands for because of his color.
Lets see.. you stated:

--->
Quote:
We're destined for a gruesome four years of liberalism. Liberals want everything their way, and when they don't get it they whine, whine, whine.
followed by

--->
Quote:
Uh, yeah, we'll have more racism issues and conversations for the next four years. I hope you all enjoy the mess our country and the world is destined for.
Gosh Hoosier.. I don't know what to think now? My comments in my first response was more to the point of: "Holy crap.. we just had a historical moment in this country yet you can't let that happen for one day without pooing on it"

Now.. after re-reading your comments.. I have to wonder. Shame on me for not catching what was really behind the comments.

Quote:
And BTW, not that it should matter but I've dated black women and my daughter's best friend is black.
Great! I guess you can go tell them that liberals whine whine whine and that because of the decision of 53% of Americans that they should enjoy the mess they are now in. I be that goes over like a lead balloon.

Psst.. I have black friends too. Shh.. don't tell anyone.. cause I'm all southern and all.. I want to make sure I fit nice and neat into your stereotype.

Quote:
Again, I shouldn't even have to say that, but evidently I do. Us northerners don't think the same way southern folk think.
I know.. we are very bright down here. Seems like the more northern you go.. the worse it gets (See Sarah Palin).

Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,451,131 times
No! No! No! This is all wrong. Not the way to go at all! What are we doing people? Do you not see the hand of God in all this? Look up! Lift up your heads, your redemption draws nigh. God do not make mistakes people! None.

Don't you guys remember the "last" speech? I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character? Do you not remember? So what are we Christians doing? Rehashing old wounds? Stop.

God did'nt bring us out of our mess, for this. We are to give glory and honor and praise people. Do you not trust that He's got it all under control? Stop speculating about what's to come next and trust that "whatever come may", Jesus got it covered. One little election of a mere man and what, we fall apart? Is that how weak we are? That we think some how God has forsaken us? You have'nt even seen nothing yet and you crumble so fast?

May God have mercy on us all!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 PM

574 posts, read 1,801,497 times
If God had wanted all of our leaders to be Republicans, and/or wanted us all to vote Republican, he would have sent Jesus into Jersusalem on an elephant!

Nancy

Old 11-08-2008, 02:11 AM

11,918 posts, read 13,814,338 times

Quote:
God's will is being done! Please let's not turn this into a black or white thing. Who cares? You just sit back and see what God is going to do! The world love Obama, that's great. That's if you're of this world.........................
Betsey, all of the world does not love Obama. Obviously many people do not. Many Christians who are not "of this world" support him also. I think that it is great that God can use him to be an effective world leader in a good way and this is my prayer for him. I don't understand all of the fear that seems to be associated with his election. I don't remember seeing this fear when GW Bush or Clinton or any of the other men were elected president. Remember, it was not Obama's initial intention to become president, although he did write a paper about being president as a child (as many children probably have ). Other people thought that he would be a good candidate. He expressed ambivalent feelings about leaving the life that he loved with his family, to step into this role. I think that he wants to help and we all need to pray for him and all government leaders. God bless.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:18 AM

11,918 posts, read 13,814,338 times
Quote:
And as for no white or black. puhleeze! On election night the networks had segmented the polls by white evangelical etc. Uh, yeah, we'll have more racism issues and conversations for the next four years.
Is this necessarily a bad thing? Maybe if the issues are brought to light and conversations take place, people may hopefully deal with it in a positive way. We can't pretend that racism doesn't exist in ths country on all sides. God bless.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:05 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,322,363 times
Since when is God a Republican?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 AM

11,822 posts, read 9,810,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

I don't remember seeing this fear when GW Bush or Clinton or any of the other men were elected president. Remember, it was not Obama's initial intention to become president, although he did write a paper about being president as a child (as many children probably have ). Other people thought that he would be a good candidate. He expressed ambivalent feelings about leaving the life that he loved with his family, to step into this role. I think that he wants to help and we all need to pray for him and all government leaders. God bless.
You can't remember the fear of GW? Does Al Sharpton, Rosie "the mouth" O, Luis Farakan, Barbara Streisand, Ted Turner, Nancy Pelosi, Hollywood liberals, Al Gore, the Clinton's and Hillary, the democratic campaign of 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008.... ring any bells ?

You can't remember that if GW was going to be elected how kids would starve, old people would have their social security decreased, education $$'s would be less ?

You can't remember the fear of Bill Clinton and co-president Hillary and Al Gore?

"He expressed ambivalent feelings about leaving the life that he loved with his family, to step into this role. I think that he wants to help"

like a lamb going forth.........the messiah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity