U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama won....so what's the explanation for that?
God didn't hear the prayers of those who prayed for McCain to win. 2 2.78%
God's will was done, and He wanted Obama elected. 29 40.28%
Other....explain. 41 56.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:56 AM

11,918 posts, read 13,853,494 times

Advertisements

No, I don't remember this type of fear of a person who has been elected president. Yes, he expressed ambivalent feelings about leaving the life that he loved with his family, to step into this role. I think that he wants to help. This does not indicate that he is the Messiah. Only Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is the Messiah, Twin Spin. God bless.

http://salon.glenrose.net/default.as...=plink&id=9216

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-08-2008 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 04:58 PM

7,793 posts, read 10,476,572 times
Default Disclaimer from june~!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post

the man is black.

How very southern of you.

His color has nothing to do with it.

Quote:

Us northerners don't think the same way southern folk think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post

Who cares?

Quote:

Who cares?

Quote:

Who cares?

Quote:

Who cares?

DISCLAIMER: "Gentle June" seldom loses it, but she's about to:

In the kindest, most controlled, contained, and utterly sincere way, June has to say the following...

There is a reason that June quoted Bestey's "Who cares?" as many times as she did. June is stunned. Few threads, posts ever, ever have the capacity to get to June, to rattle June, much less truly upset June.

June is a "northerner." June is alledgedly a "northern liberal." -Do you really assume to know what that means? Do you really assume to stereotype June? You are more than welcome to. It's not a problem to June, personally, but let's not assume that everyone up here in the North voted according to assumptive polls, statistics, and stereotypical thinking. It's insulting to not just southerners, but to northerners, alike. --But more than that is the utter astonishment that June is sitting here thinking "I am posting this on the Christianity subforum, aren't I?" ---Because whether June voted for Obama or McCain, (and don't assume that assumptions are nothing less than based on, formulated by, stereotypes,) June absolutely, positively knows this much:

The day after we all voted, June went into work, and the first patient she had that day was a black man who is June's age. This man is originally a "southerner" as he grew up in Mississippi. He moved up here to "northern" Massachusetts after his mother died...And that morning, after the election, my patient talked about those things about himself that he had previously found it so entirely difficult to talk about. June doesn't think that it really has as much to do with the outcome of the election, as it does with who this man is...But let it suffice to say that in sitting there at 8:00 the morning after a black man had been determined to be the next president, June found herself (for one of the very first times, ever,) so effected by what he said that she honestly had to work overtime with herself so as not to have her eyes whell up with tears in listening to this man....

He spoke to the fact that he has forever felt that he lacks self esteem due to the fact that he is illiterate. That his inability to read and write has resulted in his being unable to ever truly be gainfully employed. That his failed attempts at ongoing employment have impacted his life tremendously. That the greatest loss of his life was when his mother died...And from there, he chose to come to Massachusetts. He's not what any of us would consider a "smart" man. But he has what most of you would consider to have a "soul." And he spoke about his inability to read, to write, about his growning up in the south...

He recalled how he was one of eight children. How his father drank. How his mother held the family together. How the ONLY BOOK that they had in their house growing up was the Bible. How his mother would turn on one little, coal lit lamp at night, and open the Bible, and use that to try and teach her children how to read...And how one night, according to my patient, "men with torches" (his words) came to their house, and beat the crap out of his mother, telling her that (his words) "those kids are supposed to work, not read." --And how after that, his mother never again dared to open that Bible with her children.

She was too afraid to.

"Who cares?" June isn't black. June isn't southern. June isn't anything other than someone who sat in her office that morning, thinking about the fact that this man is unable to read or write due to racist actions on the part of others who had assumptions, and the utterly unentitled entitlement to assert them. Because they were white. But June was profoundly saddened to think that a mother who had literally nothing, who was unable to consistently provide for and feed her children, and who owned one book would have been so victimized by people of June's white race that she "learned" from her experience: She stopped lighting that coal lamp and reading the Bible to her children at night...

"It was more important to her to keep us safe; alive..."

Or least that's what June's patient told her. Which had a profound impact on her.

Whether June voted for a republican or a democrat isn't the point here. The point here is that we can all return to the dynamics that took place in that park in Chicago 40 years ago, when violence ensued in the name of the "greater good" of our nation, or we can think about what transpired in that same park this past week. And we can ask ourselves whether or not it matters; or whether we can, do, or should care...

It was a Bible, folks.

The guy can't read, to this day, but he obviously still has enough hope to keep on going.

I'm not sure I necessarily would.

-- And he's the real "testament" of that Testament his mother had begun to read to him, to teach to him, with that one book she owned...

Takle gentle care...

Old 11-08-2008, 05:01 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,691,131 times
i try to not put it all on god and take a little responsibility.
i see some good stuff. we stopped talking about invading iran.
no more white knuckle discussions about never leaving bagdad.
just went to home depot, parking lot is 90% full.
(my best economy index)
some banks are still closing but they were running a clown show
greenspan said lay back he did not say lay down so close already
there is hope.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:13 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,067,983 times
I wrote this the other night and I wasn't going to share it on my blog or on the forum but I suppose that I will now that some people still don't seem to get it:

Walking the halls of Farmington Elementary School in Memphis, Tennessee my fellow classmates and I were reminded daily of our country and its history. The walls were adorned with very realistic copies of The Declaration of Independence, The Bill of Rights, and other important copies of documents including speeches and writings by men such as Lincoln, Jefferson, and Kennedy. One of the things that stood out the most was a collection of portraits of the men who ran this country. As we waited in line to order food from the black cafeteria lady meagerly making a small wage I remember being awe-struck at the men who ran this country. Although they were only portraits, they still managed to capture the persona and being of some of the greatest men this country and this world have ever known.

Washington, Adams, Jefferson.... and so the collection went on... Lincoln, Johnson, Grant... and further down the line... Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy... and as the list neared its end... I remember the day when one more was added in that of Bill Clinton. It was at that time in 1992 that the last President of my cognition was hung upon the walls of the Farmington Elementary School Cafeteria. After 1993, I would graduate from elementary school and move forward to my junior high school never again to see the walls of the cafeteria adorned with George W. Bush's portrait and now, Barrack Hussein Obama's.

As I take a moment to reflect upon all of the portraits that still stand out in my mind so clearly from the eyes of a ten year old boy, it gives me pause to think of what some of these great men would think about the election that occurred on Tuesday, November 4th, 2008. In an era where slavery was the accepted norm; black men and women were looked upon as less than human while even some of our founding fathers themselves had slaves. It was not seen as something extraordinarily odd for the time being. I can't imagine in the wildest dreams of some of our founding fathers what they might feel or think if they looked upon the events of this years election to see the first black man elected as President. Would it strike Washington or Jefferson as a completely foreign and radical concept? Part of me would like to think not but as a product of their times perhaps they lacked the vision necessary to see what just happened. If the portraits of Washington, Adams, and Jefferson could have roving eyes, do you think they would be turning to see who was going to be hung on the wall next? Do you think those eyes may bulge with excitement or dumbfoundedness at what happened this year?

If we moved further into our history, during the days of Lincoln who signed the Emancipation Proclamation freeing black men and women from slavery, would he find it strange or perhaps even odd? While his progressive attitude towards fairness of all men may have in part caused one of the bloodiest wars this nation has ever known, I would like to think that President Lincoln would perhaps be a little astonished that we have come so far. Perhaps the eyes within Lincoln's portrait would show a different sign of incredulity as to what happened in this years election.

Moving forward a hundred years from the days of Lincoln, we can turn our heads towards Kennedy. During his Presidency the Civil Rights movement had just started to take a firm hold in the streets of America. The change was imminent but slow to take shape. After all, even after Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, it was still one-hundred years before the African American man took hold in the streets and begged for fairness. What would the portrait of Kennedy's eyes look like if they were able to move and see the portrait of President-elect Obama's face being hung upon the wall in the next few weeks?

America has come so far in its relatively short history. Although this is a victory for those who were subjugated and held down for centuries, it should be seen as a victory for all of us. On election night in America, as Barrack Obama's name was announced as being the elected President of the United States of America there were certainly cheers of celebration ringing throughout the streets of America. Blacks and whites hugged one another and reciprocated 'high-fives'. People cried in the streets and even roused around the White House celebrating. More so than that, people around the world celebrated. In France, they threw parties commemorating the ousting of President Bush. In Britain, people stayed up late into the night to watch the unfolding of events. In Sydney, they watched with a collective breath to see what the outcome would be while even in Kenya the peoples held their bated breaths. We, America, are far more than a nation that has our own profound, internal cause and effect atmosphere. We, America, whether we like to admit it or not, affect the entire world.

Over the last eight years, we have moaned and groaned at the inept qualities of our current President. With one horrendous gaffe after another, every broken promise, and every failed foreign policy effort, we have shown the world in places like France, Britain, Japan and Germany that we are a nation of idiots consumed with instant gratification and illogical thinking and our man in charge represented the very thing we as an American people idolized and looked up to. It was further proof of this when we re-elected him in 2004. We apparently didn't want a man who could speak eloquently, clearly, and with decisive annunciation during his speeches. We showed the world that we did not care what they thought of us or our actions. For eight long years we have turned our back on the world and we have shown that as influential a country we are, we were heinously immature.

With the nomination of Sarah Palin as John McCain's running mate I think that the majority of Americans as well as the world took a collective gasp of horror and fear that we Americans would once again sacrifice elite intellectualism and first class oratory power for a down home "folksiness" not seen since long forgotten episodes of Leave It To Beaver. John McCain was and is one of the most honorable men to have ever served our country. The trials he went through as a POW in Vietnam are enough to make any grown man cry even thinking about it. Despite all of the odds both at home and abroad, he rose to a position worthy of our respect and admiration. However, it was with great sadness upon whence I learned of such an 'ordinary' vice presidential nominee that stood such a real chance at being merely a heartbeat away from the presidency. Although cute, folksy, and the icon of what many Americans would want in their own mothers, she was just that and nothing more. America and the world was not ready to listen to more misspoken statements, horrendous public gaffes, and ill-conceived plans resulting from inadequate knowledge or ability to make America a more dominant world power despite the echoing wails of the rest of the world. We, as Americans, could no longer stand to see mediocrity and 'folksiness' as the icon of our country when so much else had gone awry.

So, the other night, as Barrack Hussein Obama stood before a gathering crowd of close to two hundred and fifty thousand people in Chicago's Grant Park while millions around the world watched on TV and gave his Yes We Can speech it was to the hopeful hearts and minds of not just America but to the rest of the world. In every sense of the word, he delivered his speech as effortlessly, powerfully, and profoundly as any man in his position should be able to do. The crisp, clear annunciation of his words resonated deeply within Americans and had even the British turning their heads at his profound mastery of the English language. As the rest of the world watched, it was almost as if you could hear a collective sigh of relief emanate from the depths of every nation that has been affected by the last eight years of America's policies. If President-elect Obama's policies make their way into being reality as he has envisioned it, that speech will be replayed with the likes of Kennedy's Ask Not What Your Country Can Do... speech and Reagan's Mr. Gorbachev, Tear This Wall Down! speech. It was the speech of a grand visionary and of a man whom we all hope has profound ideas for the way he wants to lead this country. Regardless of his name or his skin color, he spoke for America the other night and he showed the world that we have finally "grown up".

I imagine that had my old schoolmaster hung the portrait of Barrack Hussein Obama on the cafeteria wall as the next elected President of this country that many of our previous Presidents' eyes would have bulged out of their paintings. And yet, it would only take ten minutes to listen to his Yes We Can speech for them to also breathe a collective sigh of relief, allow their eyes to go back to normal, and rest easily throughout the depths of time and history as they gladly accept President-elect Obama's portrait hung silently on the wall next to all of their great names in recognition that this was the very reason they founded this great nation.

Last edited by GCSTroop; 11-08-2008 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

Thanks for sharing, blue! I believe that President elect Obama will work to bring all Americans together for the good of the country. His multicultural background and experiences are an asset and I am glad to witness this great historic event also. God bless.
He also says he's a christian, but CERTAIN holier than thou Evangelical hypocrits who love to judge(one of their many sins they conveniently ignore) others somehow ignore that.

The inconsistency and hypocrisy cracks me up the most. Many of them were so die hard about Bush(someone others saw as the antichrist). With them there seem to be only 1 or 2 sins, abortion and homosexualty. As long as you don't openly support abortion and homosexuality, you're a good God fearing christian. I found it quite revealing how some of their biggest most well known leaders were found to be closet homosexuals and whoremongers. Even the members of congress they vote in paid for abortions(the same thing they argue against)

You can support killing other 'foreigners' babies, women, handicap, and poor people under the guise of defending the country. You can support international corporations(as Bush did) that exploit poor poeple around the world and create an environment of suffering for profit and the almight dollar(the true God of most people).

To make themselves feel better by donating a couple of dollars here and there, or voluneer to feel like they have done something. Sending some food or money to the less fortunate is all nice, but to knowingly contribute to the circumstances of why the poor and less fortunate are in the situation they're in makes all that null and void. To send some food to these countries, but don't hold their govt accountable for supporting or propping up these governements is another thing. When Bush was doing all this dirt(yes it was Bush's time) you didn't hear much of a peep out of these modern day Sadducees and Pharisess(same people who crucified Jesus)

The TRUE reason Sodom and Gamorrah perished is because they let the less fortunate in their society suffer.

If Jesus were to come today as he did back the it would be the certain Evangelicals, Catholics, and Jews who would crucify him again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
It has been repeatedly stated that those who don't vote have no right to complain. On election day I was out of state working and could not have voted even if I had wanted to. Working and paying taxes to help support those who do not work and pay taxes.

Ask your local neighborhood attorney if choosing not to vote automatically causes someone to loose their free speech. It's not stopped mine.

I have no plans of ever voting. I have found Life and Salvation in GOD, JESUS CHRIST. His WORD is all that counts.

The first thing Mr. Obuma did is select a pro abortionist as his chief of staff. Baby killing is obviously at the top of his list of things to do.

Let's leave America Church! The liberals will be glad to see us gone and we will be glad to go. Let's shake the dust off our feet and wash our hands of the matter. They think living like Sodom and Gomorrah is the answer. Well let's get out and give them the opportunity to test their theory. Just remember to get well back from the border to avoid any wrath overspill!
LOL exhibit A
We should all be like you and follow Christ the way you do.. you know best

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Are YOU going to pull out of America now? If so, could you enlighten us as to your plan for doing that, and where you're going?

Thanks!
Canada and alot of the European countries are more 'liberal' than the US

Actually countries in Central and South America, Africa and Asia are more conservative, but imagine them trying to run to those places with their blatant hypocrisy..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

Betsey, all of the world does not love Obama. Obviously many people do not. Many Christians who are not "of this world" support him also. I think that it is great that God can use him to be an effective world leader in a good way and this is my prayer for him. I don't understand all of the fear that seems to be associated with his election. I don't remember seeing this fear when GW Bush or Clinton or any of the other men were elected president. Remember, it was not Obama's initial intention to become president, although he did write a paper about being president as a child (as many children probably have ). Other people thought that he would be a good candidate. He expressed ambivalent feelings about leaving the life that he loved with his family, to step into this role. I think that he wants to help and we all need to pray for him and all government leaders. God bless.
Exactly

Quote:
You automatically assume my comments are because the man is black. How very southern of you. His color has nothing to do with it. Let's usher in four years of people assuming you don't like the president or what he stands for because of his color. And BTW, not that it should matter but I've dated black women and my daughter's best friend is black. Again, I shouldn't even have to say that, but evidently I do. Us northerners don't think the same way southern folk think.
Ahh a show of northern hypocrisy

Alot of racist people date black or other ethnic groups
Just because you see someone as a lust object or somebody to occupy your time doesn't mean you really really consider them equal.
Abe Lincoln freed the slaves but he never considered them equal.

Southerners are just more honest.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:07 PM

13,473 posts, read 21,263,982 times
[quote=Hoosier;6046535]
Quote:
Liberals want everything their way, and when they don't get it they whine,whine, whine
I see only the sore losers whine, whine, whining......

Quote:
I hope you all enjoy the mess our country and the world is destined for. The liberals have only themselves to blame when they realize who they truly elected into our White House.
Just what, pray tell, is the mess the world is destined for? And just who did we truly elect? Tell us, the suspense is making me hyperventilate... If I remember correctly, wasn't it the conservatives who elected the great and wonderful president of the past eight years

Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,378,106 times
[b][quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
DISCLAIMER: "Gentle June" seldom loses it, but she's about to:

In the kindest, most controlled, contained, and utterly sincere way, June has to say the following...

There is a reason that June quoted Bestey's "Who cares?" as many times as she did. June is stunned. Few threads, posts ever, ever have the capacity to get to June, to rattle June, much less truly upset June.

June is a "northerner." June is alledgedly a "northern liberal." -Do you really assume to know what that means? Do you really assume to stereotype June? You are more than welcome to. It's not a problem to June, personally, but let's not assume that everyone up here in the North voted according to assumptive polls, statistics, and stereotypical thinking. It's insulting to not just southerners, but to northerners, alike. --But more than that is the utter astonishment that June is sitting here thinking "I am posting this on the Christianity subforum, aren't I?" ---Because whether June voted for Obama or McCain, (and don't assume that assumptions are nothing less than based on, formulated by, stereotypes,) June absolutely, positively knows this much:

The day after we all voted, June went into work, and the first patient she had that day was a black man who is June's age. This man is originally a "southerner" as he grew up in Mississippi. He moved up here to "northern" Massachusetts after his mother died...And that morning, after the election, my patient talked about those things about himself that he had previously found it so entirely difficult to talk about. June doesn't think that it really has as much to do with the outcome of the election, as it does with who this man is...But let it suffice to say that in sitting there at 8:00 the morning after a black man had been determined to be the next president, June found herself (for one of the very first times, ever,) so effected by what he said that she honestly had to work overtime with herself so as not to have her eyes whell up with tears in listening to this man....

He spoke to the fact that he has forever felt that he lacks self esteem due to the fact that he is illiterate. That his inability to read and write has resulted in his being unable to ever truly be gainfully employed. That his failed attempts at ongoing employment have impacted his life tremendously. That the greatest loss of his life was when his mother died...And from there, he chose to come to Massachusetts. He's not what any of us would consider a "smart" man. But he has what most of you would consider to have a "soul." And he spoke about his inability to read, to write, about his growning up in the south...

He recalled how he was one of eight children. How his father drank. How his mother held the family together. How the ONLY BOOK that they had in their house growing up was the Bible. How his mother would turn on one little, coal lit lamp at night, and open the Bible, and use that to try and teach her children how to read...And how one night, according to my patient, "men with torches" (his words) came to their house, and beat the crap out of his mother, telling her that (his words) "those kids are supposed to work, not read." --And how after that, his mother never again dared to open that Bible with her children.

She was too afraid to.

"Who cares?" June isn't black. June isn't southern. June isn't anything other than someone who sat in her office that morning, thinking about the fact that this man is unable to read or write due to racist actions on the part of others who had assumptions, and the utterly unentitled entitlement to assert them. Because they were white. But June was profoundly saddened to think that a mother who had literally nothing, who was unable to consistently provide for and feed her children, and who owned one book would have been so victimized by people of June's white race that she "learned" from her experience: She stopped lighting that coal lamp and reading the Bible to her children at night...

"It was more important to her to keep us safe; alive..."

Or least that's what June's patient told her. Which had a profound impact on her.

Whether June voted for a republican or a democrat isn't the point here. The point here is that we can all return to the dynamics that took place in that park in Chicago 40 years ago, when violence ensued in the name of the "greater good" of our nation, or we can think about what transpired in that same park this past week. And we can ask ourselves whether or not it matters; or whether we can, do, or should care...

It was a Bible, folks.

The guy can't read, to this day, but he obviously still has enough hope to keep on going.

I'm not sure I necessarily would.

-- And he's the real "testament" of that Testament his mother had begun to read to him, to teach to him, with that one book she owned...

Take gentle care...

Thanks for sharing this important event with us June;
It's a wake up call, or least it should be;
It touched this heart of mine in a way that was truly a testament in this testimony
I have tears in my heart for this patient and others that have had to share the same ...

Old 11-08-2008, 07:32 PM

20 posts, read 18,467 times
american people voted, thats what happened

Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,378,106 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumite78 View Post

Ahh a show of northern hypocrisy

Alot of racist people date black or other ethnic groups
Just because you see someone as a lust object or somebody to occupy your time doesn't mean you really really consider them equal.
Abe Lincoln freed the slaves but he never considered them equal.

Southerners are just more honest.

What is this??
The Jerry Springer show????
This is the most asinine statement , I've read in a long time
There's a cliche that goes something like this:
Sometimes it's better to not say anything and be thought as a fool
Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...
I'm not trying to berate you or anything, but I can tell that you haven't spent a lot of time in the north.. and around the culture
right?

----------------

Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
What is this??
The Jerry Springer show????
This is the most asinine statement , I've read in a long time
There's a cliche that goes something like this:
Sometimes it's better to not say anything and be thought as a fool
Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...
I'm not trying to berate you or anything, but I can tell that you haven't spent a lot of time in the north.. and around the culture
right?

----------------
actually I have

and anybody with half a brain or common sense knows it's far from a bed of roses up north
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity