U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama won....so what's the explanation for that?
God didn't hear the prayers of those who prayed for McCain to win. 2 2.78%
God's will was done, and He wanted Obama elected. 29 40.28%
Other....explain. 41 56.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 AM

116 posts, read 284,886 times

Advertisements

I voted "other".

1 Samuel 8

Feel free to google BibleGateway to look it up if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 AM

13,561 posts, read 21,666,288 times
Obama won because, the majority of Americans are sick and tired of watching this nation sink into the cesspool it has been falling into for the past 8 years..We have put the word United back into the States of America..This morning we are not black Americans, white Americans, gay, straight, liberal or conservative Americans..We are one community of Americans..Be proud that you have seen a great historic event..I have lived ling enough to see many, but none compare to this

Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 AM

7,556 posts, read 11,863,049 times
I voted for Obama in the primaries to get him past Hillary, but I didn't vote in the general simply because a) in Texas, we go red no matter what , and b) I wanted God to have His way, without my will being injected.

For all those who curse this day and anticipate the end of righteousness as we "know it", you are the salt of the earth - this shouldn't change your view or attitude toward your neighbor or nation.

Quote:
Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit. (Jer 17:7-8)

Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,727,526 times
I seem to recall another young idealistic president by the name of Kennedy getting elected, despite smear campaigns that if elected he would take orders from the pope since he was catholic.
And he didn't...

Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 AM

13,561 posts, read 21,666,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
I seem to recall another young idealistic president by the name of Kennedy getting elected, despite smear campaigns that if elected he would take orders from the pope since he was catholic.
And he didn't...
Absolutely, an Irish Roman Catholic at that..I remembered that last night as I watched Obama's speech...

Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,298,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post

That's why God appointed Bush.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:27 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,780,313 times
Regardless of HOW you voted - consider praying to God to give Obama judgement and wisdom to take this nation in a direction that would be pleasing to him.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:27 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,612,017 times
I neither voted for Bush or the 2 top Presidential contenders on the ballot. I feel no guilt for what has happened over the past 8 years, and I will feel none for what happens in the future of this nation. I feel as I will be viewing a lot less on TV than what I already view.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,874,360 times
While I can't and won't presume what other Christians were praying for, I personally was praying that it be God's will. Whatever that may be. If I believe and trust in God and in His word, then I must believe that it is His will that Obama won the elections, whether or not I understand the reasoning behind it. God's thoughts, ways, and plans are not always our own.
(Isaiah 55:8-9) 8 “ For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.
9 “ For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.
Scripture tells us that it is God that elects and appoints.
Daniel 2:20-21 "...“ Blessed be the name of God forever and ever,
For wisdom and might are His.
21 And He changes the times and the seasons;
He removes kings and raises up kings;..."

Daniel 5:21 "...till he knew that the Most High God rules in the kingdom of men, and appoints over it whomever He chooses."

Romans 13:1 "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God."
And even Jesus, facing an injustice stated to Pilate
John 19:10-11 "Then Pilate said to Him, “Are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have power to crucify You, and power to release You?” 11 Jesus answered, “You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above..."
Therefore, while I personally may not be ecstatic over the results, I accept them as God's perfect will. The truth is I was not happy with either candidate to begin with and stated such quite frequently. My lack of enthusiasm with either candidate, however, did not keep me from the polls. I excercised my right and freedom to vote and as I slid the ballot into the machine my only thoughts were "Your will God, not ours".

As a Christian, I can't say that I am thrilled with the results, that is my human flesh side apart from my simply trusting in God.

As an American, however, I am really proud of how far this country has come from the days of slavery, segregation and the civil rights movements. To see an African American appointed to the highest office in this nation is a tell tale sign of how far we have come as a nation. Let it no longer be said "we can't because we've been oppressed". This election has shown that with determination, hard work and effort, it's not "we can't" but "we can", white, black, asian, male, female, whatever.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,276,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
And he didn't...
No, he didn't, but Kennedy was a philanderer and man of very poor personal ethics. All the Kennedys were (are, if you include Teddy). He was martyred due to his being assassinated, but I have often wondered if his memory would be as shiny if he had lived to finish his term. I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity