U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama won....so what's the explanation for that?
God didn't hear the prayers of those who prayed for McCain to win. 2 2.78%
God's will was done, and He wanted Obama elected. 29 40.28%
Other....explain. 41 56.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,473,962 times

Advertisements

Great post, Mari4him. I agree.
"Not my will, but Thy will be done."
(We need a praying icon.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally posted by grannynancy
Regardless of HOW you voted - consider praying to God to give Obama judgement and wisdom to take this nation in a direction that would be pleasing to him.
THANK YOU! This is one area I'm really unsure about with Obama, and after the past eight years, I've learned that it IS important to pray for wisdom for your leaders. Boy oh boy, have I learned that the hard way.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:37 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,780,651 times
Default and then you have to consider Saul....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
While I can't and won't presume what other Christians were praying for, I personally was praying that it be God's will. Whatever that may be. If I believe and trust in God and in His word, then I must believe that it is His will that Obama won the elections, whether or not I understand the reasoning behind it. God's thoughts, ways, and plans are not always our own.
(Isaiah 55:8-9) 8 “ For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.
9 “ For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.
Scripture tells us that it is God that elects and appoints.
Daniel 2:20-21 "...“ Blessed be the name of God forever and ever,
For wisdom and might are His.
21 And He changes the times and the seasons;
He removes kings and raises up kings;..."

Daniel 5:21 "...till he knew that the Most High God rules in the kingdom of men, and appoints over it whomever He chooses."

Romans 13:1 "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God."
And even Jesus, facing an injustice stated to Pilate
John 19:10-11 "Then Pilate said to Him, “Are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have power to crucify You, and power to release You?” 11 Jesus answered, “You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above..."
Therefore, while I personally may not be ecstatic over the results, I accept them as God's perfect will. The truth is I was not happy with either candidate to begin with and stated such quite frequently. My lack of enthusiasm with either candidate, however, did not keep me from the polls. I excercised my right and freedom to vote and as I slid the ballot into the machine my only thoughts were "Your will God, not ours".

As a Christian, I can't say that I am thrilled with the results, that is my human flesh side apart from my simply trusting in God.

As an American, however, I am really proud of how far this country has come from the days of slavery, segregation and the civil rights movements. To see an African American appointed to the highest office in this nation is a tell tale sign of how far we have come as a nation. Let it no longer be said "we can't because we've been oppressed". This election has shown that with determination, hard work and effort, it's not "we can't" but "we can", white, black, asian, male, female, whatever.
I know these scriptures are truth. But, you also have to consider the story of Saul.
God gave the people their choice.

Personally, I didn't feel strongly impressed about either candidate being God's will in this election.
I have in the past....

I would prefer to rest in the fact that God uses all things together for our good....

I grew up in the south. I grew up through the civil rights movement.
I've studied African American history in college. No doubt, I was appalled at what I learned in my studies.
But, I also know that we can not re-write the past.
And, I know that none of us can move forward when our attention is focused on past wrongs.
I'm glad to see that our country has evolved.
Now it's time for forgiveness -- from both sides.
I hope that now we can lay down our weapons of hate and prejudice and turn them into plowshares -- all of us working together.

The election is over.

Now, all christians have the responsibilty to pray for their country... and for their leaders...
We need to be asking God for His mercy and His guidance for our country and all of it's leaders.

Our country needs God's help.

And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives, and pray unto the LORD for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-05-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 09:47 AM

21,424 posts, read 29,571,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
God doesn't always appoint the righteous to lead. God sometimes appoints the wicked to set the stage for His holy wrath upon a nation that has forgotten Him.
Yes I agree, and I believe that is why he won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Regardless of HOW you voted - consider praying to God to give Obama judgement and wisdom to take this nation in a direction that would be pleasing to him.
I agree with this too, the president always needs our prayers.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,566,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I But, you also have to consider the story of Saul.
Not judging Obama's character, but consider also Nebuchadnezzar. Filled with pride, he was brought down and then was able to utter what we seemingly need to be reminded:

Quote:
And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured Him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom is from generation to generation:

And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and He doeth according to His will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay His hand, or say unto him, What doest Thou?

At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me. Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and His ways judgment: and those that walk in pride He is able to abase. (Dan 4:34-37)

Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 AM

I'm not judging anyone...

The election is over.

He is now the ruler elect of our country.

Do not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people.
EXODUS 22:28

Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,325,516 times
Shadrach, Meschak and Abendego were standing in front of the fiery furnace. Despite the fact that King Neb was about to have them thrown directly into the flames they refused to worship the golden idol. After the 3 men were delivered unharmed through the flames, Nebuchadnezzar acknowledged God's awesome power and might. Years later, he forgot the lesson of that day and God took everything from him, only restoring his kingdom after he came back to God.

This is where I am drawing my strength from this morning. I reiterated the lesson for both my children last night too. I pray they can find the same comfort in it that I do.

When faced with our own "fiery furnaces", it's important to remember that only 3 outcomes are possible:

1 God will deliver you FROM the flames
2 God will deliver you THROUGH the flames
3 God will bring you home BY the flames

Can I hear an AMEN?!

Thank you Beth Moore for showing me the light!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:06 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,824,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Now, all christians have the responsibilty to pray for their country... and for their leaders...
We need to be asking God for His mercy and His guidance for our country and all of it's leaders.

Our country needs God's help.
Oh I agree totally, whether we as people agree with who is the elected president or not, the one thing that is for sure is that we as Christians are called to pray for our nation, for it's people and for it's leaders. Absolutely we must put our personal feelings aside and pray for Obama and for his family. We must pray that he use wisdom and good judgment in what must be one of the thoughest jobs there is in America. I personally pray that this wisdom and good judgment come from up above, from God.

However, while I understand your not being impressed about it being God's will, as I can say I'm not either, but to question if it was God's will to me is to question God and His ability to do that second part, using all things together for our good. If we believe that God is always in control, how can we question whether or not ultimately He was in control of this election, even if it was to leave Americans up to their own devices. If God absolutely did not want Obama as president and would not plan to use it for our good, I believe without a doubt that He could have changed the results. If He didn't change the result, it must mean He has a plan for and through it. Guess that's my mindset about it.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:11 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,904,157 times
Everything happens for a reason, we don't know the reason until it happens. Just sit and wait. God bless.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
Oh I agree totally, whether we as people agree with who is the elected president or not, the one thing that is for sure is that we as Christians are called to pray for our nation, for it's people and for it's leaders. Absolutely we must put our personal feelings aside and pray for Obama and for his family. We must pray that he use wisdom and good judgment in what must be one of the thoughest jobs there is in America. I personally pray that this wisdom and good judgment come from up above, from God.

However, while I understand your not being impressed about it being God's will, as I can say I'm not either, but to question if it was God's will to me is to question God and His ability to do that second part, using all things together for our good. If we believe that God is always in control, how can we question whether or not ultimately He was in control of this election, even if it was to leave Americans up to their own devices. If God absolutely did not want Obama as president and would not plan to use it for our good, I believe without a doubt that He could have changed the results. If He didn't change the result, it must mean He has a plan for and through it. Guess that's my mindset about it.
When Ronald Reagan ran for office, I was strongly impressed in my spirit to go register and to vote for him. I believe that Ronald Reagan was meant to be in office.

I didn't feel any leading about my vote this time.

This is an area of understanding that everyone has a slightly different understanding of... i.e., God's will and free will.

But, I do know that His eyes are on the sparrow... and He'll certainly take care of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity