U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama won....so what's the explanation for that?
God didn't hear the prayers of those who prayed for McCain to win. 2 2.78%
God's will was done, and He wanted Obama elected. 29 40.28%
Other....explain. 41 56.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,826,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
When Ronald Reagan ran for office, I was strongly impressed in my spirit to go register and to vote for him. I believe that Ronald Reagan was meant to be in office.

I didn't feel any leading about my vote this time.
Oh I totally understand that. My spirit was really troubled by this election and it probably has been the strongest case of voting for the lessor of two evils than I have ever experienced before in my voting lifetime. I did, however, go out and vote because I feel strongly it is not only a right, one that many have given up their lives to ensure that we have, but also a duty and obligation.

I feel that if one does not go out and vote, win or lose, than one has no right to sit back and lift a word in complaint about what is going on in our country. It's a matter of you don't like how something is, get up and do something about it, if you don't, then don't complain. (And I'm not meaning this directed at you believe me, just giving my opinion on the matter in a general manner)

Quote:
This is an area of understanding that everyone has a slightly different understanding of... i.e., God's will and free will.

But, I do know that His eyes are on the sparrow... and He'll certainly take care of me.
AMEN! Absolutely His eyes are upon us and He will take care of us. This is where our hope remains based upon our faith in His grace, His mercy, His power and His ability to ensure that we, His children, are taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,578,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes I agree, and I believe that is why he won.

I agree with this too, the president always needs our prayers.
Pray that he will be more wicked so we can get more wrath

Old 11-05-2008, 11:09 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,738,620 times
I have been virtually quite during the campaign and the reason is, I have really not been stirred by either of the candidates that were presented to us. I simply prayed to God for Him to show me how I should vote. My spirit has been troubled by this election, and I can say that both candidates had a couple of things that I did like, but there were more that I didn't. So I was very troubled.

In the end, as I had not choice but to vote, I felt God's answer to me....I chose to write in a candidate, all the while knowing it was a lost vote in the whole large scheme of things, but, unwilling to compromise my faith and sense of right. My choice, I feel was given to me by God, and it was a right choice for me.

I will pray and try my best to support our new President, after all, He will lead us for 4 years. If the Christian sector will pray, God will hear, and who knows what will happen.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM

21,434 posts, read 29,598,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Pray that he will be more wicked so we can get more wrath
We need to pray for president, who ever it is, that they will look to God for guidance and wisdom, what is confusing about that

Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 AM

21,434 posts, read 29,598,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I will pray and try my best to support our new President, after all, He will lead us for 4 years. If the Christian sector will pray, God will hear, and who knows what will happen.
AMEN! I totally agree, he needs our prayers, regardless if we voted for him or not.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 AM

7,544 posts, read 11,579,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
IIn the end, as I had not choice but to vote, I felt God's answer to me....I chose to write in a candidate, all the while knowing it was a lost vote in the whole large scheme of things, but, unwilling to compromise my faith and sense of right. My choice, I feel was given to me by God, and it was a right choice for me.
I wonder how many wrote in "Jesus Christ"...

Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I wonder how many wrote in "Jesus Christ"...
My son is 19 years old and so this was his first time voting. I was fortunate enough that due to the good relationship we have with one another he opted not to go with all his friends and vote, but rather to go with me so I could be with him and share this experience. His first time voting in such a historical election.

Prior to election day we had discussed many of the issues and the candidates. Prior to going to the polls we sat down together and marked our choices in our sample ballot. I was proud of how seriously he was taking this and how he reviewed his notes on what all the candidates, not only for presidency but for other seats, stood on issues.

After filling out our sample ballots, he picked up the pen again and jotted down Jesus Christ as a write in. He stated that while we may have a president elected, ultimately it is Jesus that rules. It is God to whom we look towards for guidance.

Of course when we went to the polls he did not vote his write in and casted his vote responsibly, however, in his heart it was clear who governs.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,658,421 times
Historically, God has permitted both evil and good men to hold positions of power...for His own purposes. And the Bible says God does not change. He is under no obligation to always "give us what we demand", He is sovereign...meaning He puts who He will into the President's seat, whether we like it or not. Why? Well, perhaps because He can see further down the road than we can...that He sees circumstances developing way before we can...that would affect us directly. We can see the present, but not the future, while God sees both...
It is a big mistake to assume "that God does not hear prayers", or that "God must not exist", just because Obama got in and not McCain. He does indeed exist, and hear prayer. But...regarding positions of authority: He puts who HE wills in. For His reasons, which we don't always understand. Regarding many things: the Bible says we see "as in a glass darkly". (mirrors thousands of years ago were polished obsidian...and would give a faint dark reflection when you looked...not the bright reflection like the mirrors we have now)
Overall, I think we should agree with God, and not the other way around. Who knows...perhaps Obama will turn out to be the better choice for Christian values overall than McCain. I voted for Chuck Baldwin. (who happens to be a pastor) He didn't win. His name didn't even get mentioned on the TV news last night....

So...what to do now? Let's pray for our new President!

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 11-05-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,570,321 times
Quote:
I know these scriptures are truth. But, you also have to consider the story of Saul.
God gave the people their choice.

Personally, I didn't feel strongly impressed about either candidate being God's will in this election.
I have in the past....

I would prefer to rest in the fact that God uses all things together for our good....

I grew up in the south. I grew up through the civil rights movement.
I've studied African American history in college. No doubt, I was appalled at what I learned in my studies.
But, I also know that we can not re-write the past.
And, I know that none of us can move forward when our attention is focused on past wrongs.
I'm glad to see that our country has evolved.
Now it's time for forgiveness -- from both sides.
I hope that now we can lay down our weapons of hate and prejudice and turn them into plowshares -- all of us working together.

The election is over.

Now, all christians have the responsibilty to pray for their country... and for their leaders...
We need to be asking God for His mercy and His guidance for our country and all of it's leaders.

Our country needs God's help.

And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives, and pray unto the LORD for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace.
Great post, World Citizen!

Whether God appoints someone to lead, or whether it is simply a result of "free choice".. I'm not sure. It may be one or the other at different times. But I do believe that we need to pray for the leaders of our country.

As a nonresistant Christian who believes in the separation of church and state, and "being in the world, yet not of the world", I find the political scene and the worldly system of government contrary to my beliefs... thus I do not vote.

I do believe that the "powers that be", or a system of government, was ordained by God for this sin-cursed world we live in. I also believe that God does bless leaders who intend to follow His will... and as this world continues its downward spiral, and Biblical values and God-emphasis are growing less and less important to leaders of our land, there will be an effect on my life and the future lives of my children: but this is just a result of God giving man free choice.

Good or bad? I can't say. We have enjoyed religious freedom.. but what has it done to our spirituality? As public sentiment continues to turn anti-biblical, and as this is reflected in immoral laws being passed, it surely will curtail our freedom. But maybe this will draw us closer to God in these end times. No man can take us out of the Father's hand!

Last edited by cg81; 11-05-2008 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 04:34 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,586,185 times
I guess I have to ask: Why do some of you presume we have rejected God because we have voted for Obama? How was McCain the paragon of virtue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity