U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:32 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,835,586 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I just have a question I'd like to ask regarding praying for things. People always talk about "God's will" and that it will always be done. My question is, if something in God's will will be done nomatter what, and if something that isn't in God's will won't happen, then what is the point of praying? Surely you're not going to change God's will so why bother asking for things if the 'answer' is already preconceived? Surely if something you ask for takes place then it was always going to happen anyway because of it being in God's will, and if something you ask for doesn't happen then it was never going to. Doesn't this make asking for things in prayer a futile and ultimately pointless exercise? It's something that's always puzzled me.

Yours wonderingly,

happynoodleboycey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 11:43 AM

21,188 posts, read 28,884,117 times
No it's not pointless. My situation may not change, but talking to God changes me. It gives me peace and comfort that can't get anywhere else. I can pour out my heart to God and know that He is listening and that He cares. There is power in prayer!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:45 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,462,463 times
Most of all we need to pray that God's will be done in our own life.. that we are submitted to Him. We also need to have this attitude when we pray about other issues. This does not mean that we should not make our requests known to God (He does want to hear them) but rather that we take it to Him and leave it with Him, knowing He knows best. I believe there is power in prayer.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:26 PM

I understand why talking to God would comfort you but why ask for things? Surely if he's God then he can tell what you want without you actually having to ask it?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:23 PM

21,188 posts, read 28,884,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
I understand why talking to God would comfort you but why ask for things? Surely if he's God then he can tell what you want without you actually having to ask it?
Of course He does. A friend once told me he always knew when his little girl was going to come to him and ask for help tying her shoes, the father knew, but he got great joy out of her asking. I think it's like that with God, He wants us communicate our needs to Him and He wants to communicate back, He enjoys the time we spend talking to Him as much as we do.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:28 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,845,515 times
Quote:
Hey,

I just have a question I'd like to ask regarding praying for things. People always talk about "God's will" and that it will always be done. My question is, if something in God's will will be done nomatter what, and if something that isn't in God's will won't happen, then what is the point of praying? Surely you're not going to change God's will so why bother asking for things if the 'answer' is already preconceived? Surely if something you ask for takes place then it was always going to happen anyway because of it being in God's will, and if something you ask for doesn't happen then it was never going to. Doesn't this make asking for things in prayer a futile and ultimately pointless exercise? It's something that's always puzzled me.

Yours wonderingly,

happynoodleboycey
I prefer to pray for a knowledge of God's will.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,619,690 times
Quote:
Hey,

Yours wonderingly,

happynoodleboycey
We pray that God's will be done. But that means allowing Him to do His will.

The Lord gives us free will so even though the Lord's will is for someone to not do something....we pray we will NOT do it.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Of course He does. A friend once told me he always knew when his little girl was going to come to him and ask for help tying her shoes, the father knew, but he got great joy out of her asking. I think it's like that with God, He wants us communicate our needs to Him and He wants to communicate back, He enjoys the time we spend talking to Him as much as we do.
That's cool, I can why that could be preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
We pray that God's will be done. But that means allowing Him to do His will.

The Lord gives us free will so even though the Lord's will is for someone to not do something....we pray we will NOT do it.
But why should he have to worry. Surely if something needs to happen for the best he can engineer it?

Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM

3,445 posts, read 326,040 times
Quote:
That's cool, I can why that could be preferred.

But why should he have to worry. Surely if something needs to happen for the best he can engineer it?
All that happens is God's will - but as humans we do not accept God's will easily and rebel against it - the more we rebel the more we reap the conseqences of our actions. God's will is that we choose what is right or we suffer the consequences of our actions and learn the lesson then choose the right.

Oakback,

I agree with you

For me prayer has less to do with asking for material things and more about seeking guidance for choosing right over wrong and good over evil, it is about trying to be aware of the consequences of my actions and that I am doing what is right.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 PM

174 posts, read 436,740 times
Please read the parable of the unjust judge:

Quote:
Luk 18:1-5 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:
And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.
And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;
Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.
Here we are shown how a man who neither feared God, nor had care of the people. Yet, this man ruled for the widow just so he could be rid of her.

The point is, the Lord is just and deeply loves His people. If this unjust man can bring a widow justice, how much more can we expect from our heavenly Father?

Prayer does indeed move mountains, I have seen and been the recipient of the power of prayer. Your question is, is God's will sovereign. Yes, it is. But, from this we cannot falter to think that we aren't to pray and entreat of God a thing. The Bible is quite explicit in that we are to pray. So how do we reconcile God's entreating of prayer with His sovereignty?

In this life we do not know all there is to prayer. But, we can see from instances and verses that it is effectual and one of those effects is the staying of judgment against the penalties of sin in this life. We can pray for God to withhold judgment as Stephen did for those who had stoned him. Paul was present at the stoning and Christ later appeared to him to use him mightily for the Kingdom. We can pray for protection over someone who is unsaved. But even more, we can ask largely for matters involving others. Why ask that someone be saved when you can ask that they be made an outspoken proponent for the Kingdom? Ask that they become a minister, evangelist that the Lord's hand in the matter be just that much more evident to the world!

Praying brings us closer to God. We are told to pray without ceasing. The closer we are in relation to Him, the more we begin to know His will in a matter. If you pray against His will, you will not feel the conviction to continue and He will often allow you to eventually understand why.

The parable shows that God hears prayers and will honour them. It also shows that our continual entreating does make a difference to the outcome. That outcome might be wisdom in the matter, or it just might be a combination of wisdom and a greater thing arising from the ashes. The Father loves to work that way!

The Lord already knows who will pray and when over a matter. But the spiritual significance of prayer remains a mystery to us. But I can say solidly from the Word that it is significant and it is an exercise of the Holy Spirit within us.

Never be discouraged in prayer. It benefits all who are involved. From the person praying, to the Father, to the one being prayed for. It is an important principle in the Kingdom and our life-line to our Father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or