U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 AM

5,408 posts, read 13,311,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Hi. I guess you could say I'm agnostic, but I was raised Christian. I am wondering how intelligent Christians defend their religion?

Since seem to be eager to learn, you need to do a bit of reading. Here are a few convicing books I highly recommend diving into with an open mind. They were greatly helpful to me recently.

The Case for the Real Jesus - Lee Strobel

The Grand Weaver - Ravi Zacharias

The End of Reason (http://www.rzim.org/USA/USFV/tabid/436/ArticleID/9988/CBModuleId/1452/Default.aspx - broken link) - Ravi Zacharias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
where science and religion touch there is reality.
how do i justify my faith, im not dead and should be.
if you knew how far i have come you would not laugh at how far behind i am.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,337,732 times
If you're concerned about scientific evidence, check out www.answersingenesis.org

Old 11-10-2008, 05:41 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,599,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
If you're concerned about scientific evidence, check out www.answersingenesis.org
Liberals hate this website, but there probably is a lot of truth there.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:50 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,761,272 times
Moderator cut: edited

If you're really searching for answers, may I suggest these books...

The Case for a Creator, A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence that Points Toward God, by Lee Strobel. (a Yale Law School Graduate)

Evidence that Demands a Verdict, Volumes 1 and 2 by Josh McDowell.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-13-2008 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: Should not be addressed in a post, but DM mods with concerns.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,561,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
So how do you defend Christianity in the face of this?
The only way I can justify my faith to you is by truly living it myself, and showing you by example that it is true.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:03 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,821,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
In Ephesians 2:8 the Bible reads "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith..." To me this means if you can prove all that went on in the Bible, you would have no need for faith. Faith is the main ingredient for a relationship with God, IMO. If you could prove God's existance to everyone, everyone would believe and there would be no need for faith.

In the book of Matthew, chapter 18, it talks about having childlike faith to enter Heaven. I think that means don't try to study too much into proving God's there, just believe.
Excellent response. The bible is clear in that God's ways, His thoughts are not our own. They are higher. There are many accounts in the bible that prove such. Our minds are in boxes, we understand what we understand, what we have seen, touched and makes sense to us. God is not in a box. God see's beyond the natural and into the supernatural. Time is in His hand, not in some box. And thus it would be difficult, if not nearly impossible to justify everything with logic.

Being a Christian is all about faith. Faith and Science are not the same thing. Even a doctor, in a situation where there is nothing else that they can do for a patient will often tell you that all that is left to do now is pray. As humans we have limitations, doctors, scientists, etc. God, however, has no limitations. Where something is impossible with man, it is very possible with God.

To try to justify my faith to someone is something that I won't even venture into trying to do. Faith is just that faith. I can share what I believe, share where in the bible it says that, I can even try to go into why I believe it and share my testimony about it. However, in the end it all boils down to faith and personal experience.

I don't feel the need to justify a (my) religion because the bottom line is that it is not about a religion. It is about a real up to date relationship with the Almighty God. Why do I believe? Because my very life is a testimony to God's existence. I often wonder why those who do not believe in God find it easier to believe that something may be a mere coincidence. They can believe the concept of coincidential occurences, however, fail to believe the concept of a God that is in control.

I believe because I have seen, witnessed and experienced God in many ways in my own life. I believe in miracles because I have situations in my own life where what has occured is nothing more or less than a miracle. I believe in God's grace and mercy, because I have experienced it in my own life and that of my family. I believe in prayer because I have seen my prayers answered. My life, therefore, is the only justification that I have for my faith. In sharing my testimony, some may choose to believe, other's may choose to disregard, that is their choice. However, my faith remains in that there is a God that loves us and cares about us. That He is real and that His word is real.

I think that is probably the strongest justification I have for my own life. See anyone can tell me something is not real and if I have no knowledge or experience in it I may question if it is real or not. However, there is not a person in this world that can convince me that what I have experienced in my own personal life is not real. It may not be to them, but to me, sorry they won't convince me otherwise.

I know what life was like prior to my acknowledging and living for God. I know what life has been like since. I know the difference between the two and as I mentioned, I know what God has done. My faith remains, though I may get shaken from time to time through circumstances that occur, it is faith that holds me steady. I know exactly where to turn and upon Whom to rely upon for all things, at all times. Best yet, I know He, whom I rely upon is faithful and true, experience has proven that to me.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Firstly, to try to use reason in order to defend faith puts the burden on the questioner, not the questioned. Anyway...

...the OP's example of the Egyptian god Horus is the perfect platform for debate, for the worship of a creature conjured up from man’s imagination (Horus had the body of a man, and the head of a bird as DOTL pointed out) violates the very foundation of acknowledging the Holy God of the Bible – to lower our vision and idolize the created being over the Creator not only degrades God, but does irreparable harm to faith; once we fashion an idol in our mind after the thing(s) that are seen, we place our trust in the corruptible instead of YHWH Elohe Tzevaot.

If you’re asking why Him, then I can assure you that He’s high above all others.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:13 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
I don't think anyone has to justify their belief to anyone.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,298,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't think anyone has to justify their belief to anyone.
Amen to that, Texdav.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or