U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:32 AM

5,137 posts, read 15,094,482 times

Advertisements

thank you

Jazzy doesn't understand this

The Jewish religion has many 'denominations' or 'sects' just like Christianity does.

Christianity is a FORM OF JUDAISM

ALL the IDEAS/RULES came from Judaism

Judaism was form/created BY GOD not man

Christianity is the COMPLETED PART of what God wanted to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
christianity is a jewish sect albeheit not a well received one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 AM

Both of my parents are Jewish, and we STILL PRACTICE JUDAISM and believe in Jesus.

You can be Jewish and a Christian believer at the same time.

Just like Paul....................

Being Jewish is being Jewish by blood not just religion.
Abraham's seed will ALWAYS BE JEWISH REGARDLESS if they are Christian or not.

There are Atheist, Agnostic, Orthodox, Liberal, and many other types of Jews. Being Jewish is 1st and foremost from blood.

According to the Bible, the Jewish/Israeli nation is a race not just a religion.

Even in the end days God will rise up 144,000 that are Jewish. 12,000 from each tribe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Christians are NOT Jews. Christians believe Jesus is the son of Gd and he isnt. Jews believe the messiah is yet to come. You need to be born of a Jewish mother or convert to Judaism. Christianity is a very differerent religion and you cant be both....

The early Christians were origianally Jewish but they split from Judaism and thus from Judaism. Unless all Christians were born of a jewish mother or converted to Judaism they are NOT Jewish.

You cant be both.

Christians took the Hebrew scriptures which are the Tanakh and distorted it to prove what they think is true. The Jews have always had the Hebrew scriptures and it is our book.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,633,860 times
The biggest precept in Judiasm is - "Hear oh Israel, the Lord Our God the Lord is One". This would preclude accepting anyone who believes in the trinity as being a Jew by Jewish standards. Anyone sent by God was either an angel, a spirit, a teacher, or a prophet, closely aligned but not God.

There were for sure pagan cultural things that were incorporated into the New Testament and attached religious significance to the life of Jesus. However, Jews should not be so quick to dismiss out of hand a Christian religion that supports them and who follow the Ten Commandments. This is simply short sighted.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:41 AM

there are many Jews who are now believing in the Messiah

The Jewish religion teaches that the Messiah will come

Jesus IS that Messiah so that would NOT stop a person from being Jewish

The Gentiles (nonJews) decided to take the name 'Christians' because they knew that they were not Jewish, and that it was more than just a religion.

I dont stop celebrating the Jewish Holidays because now I believe in the Messiah. The Jews have been waiting for the Messiah while the Gentiles were drawn away to their idol worship.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:28 PM

I believe you're confusing people with your post. The Jews have always believed in the Messiah. They believe that the Messiah has not come yet as he didn't establish world peace and the other things that were stated in a previous post here by another poster.

They do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah for this reason though some do believe he may have been a prophet or a teacher (Rabbi). My personal belief is that he was trying to teach Judiasm 'lite' (without the extensive rules Jews were presented with). So Christians who consider themselves within the family of Jews is just fine with me as long as they don't try to convert Jews to believe that Jesus is a Godhead. If they want to pray to God through Jesus's intervention, fine. Jews go the direct route an intervener is not necessary.

Your last sentence I believe you posted incorrectly for your meaning. Quote:'Gentiles were drawn away to their idol worship' should have read "from" their idol worship. Though there are things within some sects of Christianity that would appear to reinforce that as in the praying to statues which is strictly forbidden in Judiasm and could be interpreted as idol worship.

Let me clarify one of my previous statements. Many of the Christian holidays correspond to Jewish holidays in that they happen in close proximity of times. However they were attached in significance to Jesus instead. The fundamental teachings as in say the Ten Commandments and the 'Treat Your Neighbor As Yourself' Golden Rule are the same. Without the confusion of Jesus as being a Godhead and the corresponding significances which were added later I might add and not propsed by Jesus, Christianity could be considered to be a sect of Judiasm. Jews may be hardpressed to recognize this because of their strict command to be wary at the least and because of their dislike of the trinity doctrine and everything accompanying it which is also their command.

The two share much and I am heartened to find that many Christians no longer think of Jews as people who must be converted to Christianity. They already believe in God. It use to remind me of the younger child insisting he knew more than his older sibling.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 08-30-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 06:13 PM

You can't draw a blanket statement stating that 'the jews' do not believe in Jesus as the Messiah....as this Jew (me), and my family, and thousands of other 'Jews' believe in Jesus as the Messiah.

Godhead is something that has little to do with what we are speaking of, and there are many 'Jews' who believe in some sort of Trinity who are not Christians.
When Abraham met 'Lord' ...it wasn't God himself.....or
The LORD said to my Lord, Sit you at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool......

Also, you're incorrect about Jews going directly to God as that is not taught in the Torah. The Torah teaches that the Levite, Priest or High Priest should 'intervene' on the behalf of the people.
Jews who were not of the priesthood WERE NOT ALLOWED to enter to the temple on behalf of the nation or his own family. Only the priests were allowed to offer up sacrifices on behalf of the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I believe you're confusing people with your post. The Jews have always believed in the Messiah. They believe that the Messiah has not come yet as he didn't establish world peace and the other things that were stated in a previous post here by another poster.

They do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah for this reason though some do believe he may have been a prophet or a teacher (Rabbi). My personal belief is that he was trying to teach Judiasm 'lite' (without the extensive rules Jews were presented with). So Christians who consider themselves within the family of Jews is just fine with me as long as they don't try to convert Jews to believe that Jesus is a Godhead. If they want to pray to God through Jesus's intervention, fine. Jews go the direct route an intervener is not necessary.

Your last sentence I believe you posted incorrectly for your meaning. Quote:'Gentiles were drawn away to their idol worship' should have read "from" their idol worship. Though there are things within some sects of Christianity that would appear to reinforce that as in the praying to statues which is strictly forbidden in Judiasm and could be interpreted as idol worship.

Let me clarify one of my previous statements. Many of the Christian holidays correspond to Jewish holidays in that they happen in close proximity of times. However they were attached in significance to Jesus instead. The fundamental teachings as in say the Ten Commandments and the 'Treat Your Neighbor As Yourself' Golden Rule are the same. Without the confusion of Jesus as being a Godhead and the corresponding significances which were added later I might add and not propsed by Jesus, Christianity could be considered to be a sect of Judiasm. Jews may be hardpressed to recognize this because of their strict command to be wary at the least and because of their dislike of the trinity doctrine and everything accompanying it which is also their command.

The two share much and I am heartened to find that many Christians no longer think of Jews as people who must be converted to Christianity. They already believe in God. It use to remind me of the younger child insisting he knew more than his older sibling.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 PM

The great majority of Jews do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah though some do as apparently you do. I have never once met a Jew who believes in the concept of trinity who is not a Christian, never even hear of that unless you're speaking of people of Jewish heritage who also believe in Jesus and then I would classify them as Messianic Jews/Christian.

Levites (and Cohens) can offer up special blessings to a congregation in this day. They no longer deal with sacrifices since the Temple was destroyed. They were in charge of the inner sanctum of the temple where the holy of holies was because they had to keep so many special rules it precluded them from other work. Today that would be represented by each congregation's Torah scrolls who any learned Jewish man/woman make take out and read in the congregation. Presently any local gathering which contains a minion can hold a service anyplace, anywhere no priestly class, no rabbis required. You know all this and you should know that present day Jews pray directly to God and always have. This is different than praying in the name of Jesus. It is also different than having a priestly class conduct certain rituals for your benefit.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:22 PM

I bet many of the Jews you have met do not understand/comprehend the Torah or Tanakh. I have met and still know MANY Jews who are super orthodox, orthodox, modern, lubavitch, etc. and they don't even know what the Torah teaches.

Just as Jews teach that God/Hashem is so powerful that you would die if you were in His presence YET He was in Abraham's presence.
or
David's Psalm

There are very few who actually understand the Torah, and even understand the traditions/rituals/celebrations/mitzvah.

As MANY Rabbis teach that eating meat with cheese is unkosher yet they neglect the passage that states that God ATE MILK WITH CHEESE when God met Abraham

Genesis 18:8
And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

It is not the Jewish bible...it is God's Bible
It is not Jewish traditions as the traditions were given by God thus making it God's traditions

Doing your own thing or changing it to fit to your standards makes it another religion.
God/Hashem intended that the Cohens lead yet anyone can lead today.

God hasn't change....it's the people that change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
The great majority of Jews do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah though some do as apparently you do. I have never once met a Jew who believes in the concept of trinity who is not a Christian, never even hear of that unless you're speaking of people of Jewish heritage who also believe in Jesus and then I would classify them as Messianic Jews/Christian.

Levites (and Cohens) can offer up special blessings to a congregation in this day. They no longer deal with sacrifices since the Temple was destroyed. They were in charge of the inner sanctum of the temple where the holy of holies was because they had to keep so many special rules it precluded them from other work. Today that would be represented by each congregation's Torah scrolls who any learned Jewish man/woman make take out and read in the congregation. Presently any local gathering which contains a minion can hold a service anyplace, anywhere no priestly class, no rabbis required. You know all this and you should know that present day Jews pray directly to God and always have. This is different than praying in the name of Jesus. It is also different than having a priestly class conduct certain rituals for your benefit.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:23 AM

You are right that there are Jews know little other than the holidays but I know many more who know a great deal. I don't believe Gods word is for Jews only either and there are disagrements within Judiasm as to the meaning of things just as in Christianity or any other religion.

I think we need to concentrate more on the similarities, and so this conversation will end.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:39 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,296,261 times
Default yeah I do understand

I do understand. I attend temple and I do know both about Christianity and Judaism. I have relatives who are Christian and they do not consider themselves to be just another denomination of Judaism.
There are several denominations but Christianity is not one of them. Christianity is its own religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or