U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:25 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,465,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I see it all the time. A current example is when Christians do all they can to take away the rights of others.

If you are refering to voting for or against something that is on a ballot, I believe Christians have every right to vote as their conscience leads them. If something is proposed that is contrary to the scriptures, generally Christians will oppose it.
If you are speaking of other measures " to take away the rights of others" I do not personally know of any Christian who is doing that.....at least not in this area.

We believe that Christians have just as much 'rights' as non Christians.

It seems that some believe that they have the right to dislike what a Christian believes in, but the Christian has no right to to dislike what the non believer believes in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:49 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,444,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post

It seems that some believe that they have the right to dislike what a Christian believes in, but the Christian has no right to to dislike what the non believer believes in.

Hey, Marian, it's okay if you wanna dislike June for what she believes in. -That's because June likes Marian. The way June sees it, we all have the right to dislike whoever we want. On the other hand, we all might want to try and make sure that whatever we are disliking in others isn't stemming from what we most dislike in and/or about ourselves. That can get dicey.

To be honest with you though, at the end of the day June's a much happier June when she comes down on the side of concentrating more on those individuals she does like. (Which is also a right.) Truthfully, though, there are some days when June just needs to determine which "right" she also has: To either like, or dislike herself. -Which in turn, oddly enough, can thereby determine how much she likes other people. June thinks she has since stopped making any darn sense here, (and is so tired that she can't remember at the moment which thread she was reading or moderating...) so if she has veered off topic, apologies to the OP, and "bad mod!" to June.

Take gentle care.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:52 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Hey, Marian, it's okay if you wanna dislike June for what she believes in. -That's because June likes Marian. The way June sees it, we all have the right to dislike whoever we want. On the other hand, we all might want to try and make sure that whatever we are disliking in others isn't stemming from what we most dislike in and/or about ourselves. That can get dicey.

To be honest with you though, at the end of the day June's a much happier June when she comes down on the side of concentrating more on those individuals she does like. (Which is also a right.) Truthfully, though, there are some days when June just needs to determine which "right" she also has: To either like, or dislike herself. -Which in turn, oddly enough, can thereby determine how much she likes other people. June thinks she has since stopped making any darn sense here, (and is so tired that she can't remember at the moment which thread she was reading or moderating...) so if she has veered off topic, apologies to the OP, and "bad mod!" to June.

Take gentle care.
go to bed

Old 11-12-2008, 08:26 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,374,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
If you are refering to voting for or against something that is on a ballot, I believe Christians have every right to vote as their conscience leads them. If something is proposed that is contrary to the scriptures, generally Christians will oppose it.
If you are speaking of other measures " to take away the rights of others" I do not personally know of any Christian who is doing that.....at least not in this area.

We believe that Christians have just as much 'rights' as non Christians.

There's a difference between disliking what someone is doing and stepping in and violating their right to do it.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,358,212 times
This thread is starting to produce yucky fruit.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
This thread is starting to produce yucky fruit.
I was thinking "sour grapes"

Old 11-13-2008, 09:05 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,465,688 times
Quote:
There's a difference between disliking what someone is doing and stepping in and violating their right to do it.

And this includes the right to pray where-ever you want to, and mention God in the Pledge of Allegiance, and determine what is taught in a church building....and on and on.

I think this can be included in," by their fruits you shall know them". All who oppose the above are exhibiting their fruits!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 AM

116 posts, read 277,750 times
Quote:
I agree with Marian here...this comment goes both ways...

Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,039,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I was moved to tears in our Sunday sermon this past Sunday. The pastor spoke on fruit and the narrow gate. They are two separate subjects so I'm creating two threads. However, close to the end of his sermon the pastor said, "Is what your life produces any different than what an unbeliever can produce?" I stopped breathing for a moment. That one sentence hit me like a brick wall. Is that true in my life? I thought. I don't know. I hope so. I now think.
Galatians 5:16-26
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Here is God's admonition and glorious promise. If our way of life is controlled by the Holy Spirit, we will not be controlled by the desires of the sinful nature.
To live according to the sinful human nature is directly opposite to living under the control of the Holy Spirit (see Rom.8:5-9). Caught in this conflict, we do not consistently do what we really wish until we yield ourselves to the Spirit.

The Spirit led person no longer tries to earn his salvation by striving in vain to keep the law. Instead, the Spirit enables him to live by the law of love and thereby fulfill the purpose of the law.

It is easy to see the works (results) of living under the control of the flesh~ the sinful nature. The first four include nature and perverted forms of sexual sin among both married and single person. In Ephesians 5:11 all of these sins are identified a "unfruitful works of darkness." They need to be exposed for their inherent evil qualities.

Idolatry and sorcery are perversions of worship~ involving oneself with the powers of evil. The nine works beginning with hatred and climaxing in murders are the very opposite of love for others.

Drunkenness and revelries are often found together in Scripture.
The list is not exhaustive. The absence of the Spirit opens the door to wickedness. Those who practice such things have never known Christ or have backslidden from Him.

Fruit is singular signifying that all nine are normal results of the life of the Spirit. These qualities stand in sharp contrast to the disruptive "works of the flesh". They foster and build community of spirit. The virtues of love, joy, and peace are often join together in the NT; the Christian has love for, joy in, and peace of God.

Longsuffering is patience with others like the patience God has with us. Kindness reflects an attitude of generosity, and goodness is kindness in action. Faithfulness describes integrity in our relationship with God. Gentleness is Christian humility in relation to other people. Self-control is personal discipline under the direction of the Spirit. There is no law against these holy attitudes and actions. No commandments against evil could ever produce these blessed results; such a harvest come only as the fruit of the Spirit.

The people of Christ through their participation in the atonement have crucified the flesh. This language is decisive and announces the end of domination by the flesh with it passions and desires. In this verse crucifixion could refer either to breaking the power of sinful nature (true for all Christians), or to cleansing the presence of sinful nature.

After we have committed ourselves to live in the Spirit, we should also let the Spirit direct the way we live. Thus walk here means "to keep in step" with the Spirit.

Pride which provokes strife and envy indicates a lack of the Spirit-filled life.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:12 AM

322 posts, read 643,494 times
By the grace and power of GOD, my life is fruitful for the glory of GOD. Unbelievers cannot please GOD. "Without faith, it is impossible to please GOD." ( it is written )

I love GOD. He causes this little child of His to grow and learn and do His will. To grow up and be just like my Daddy one day. To love as He loves, and to hate as He hates. To obey all His holy commandments.

Hoosier, you do well to self examine. But I believe you do bear good fruit. Keep it up and increase as the LORD gives you increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity