U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,844,337 times

Advertisements

I'm familiar with the pharisees, and can appreciate your response, but that's not really where I was going with what I said. To sum it up: WWJD. If it's all an act, then of course you're no better than the parisees. But adapting your lifestyle to do what God wishes you to, well then that's called self-improvement. Pharisees looked for self-glory, a true Christian will do what is right to please God and show the world a Christian is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 PM

3,577 posts, read 454,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I'm familiar with the pharisees, and can appreciate your response, but that's not really where I was going with what I said. To sum it up: WWJD. If it's all an act, then of course you're no better than the parisees. But adapting your lifestyle to do what God wishes you to, well then that's called self-improvement. Pharisees looked for self-glory, a true Christian will do what is right to please God and show the world a Christian is different.
TNKY,

I sort of see where you are coming from, however the act of us adapting our life to look like a christian is all about us trying to act like a christian. God requires we come to him throught his son. We are to seek him in truth and honesty. The deeds we do are to come from the heart.

What I see is a lot of denominations of men putting their interpretations together and having a consolidated view of what they think the bible says. The baptists think one way, the church of Christ another etc, etc .

WWJD - would he be a baptist, Roman Catholic, COC, etc, etc,? Every believer thinks that he would be what they believe in because everyone thinks that they believe is the truth - those that are deceived do not think they are deceived.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 11-11-2008 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,362,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
As a believer in Christ, are you walking the narrow path? I recently heard a sermon on the narrow path that challenged my perception. I'd always assumed that the narrow path was for Christians and the wide path was for unbelievers. However, my pastor brought to light that Jesus is talking about those within the religious community, no about the world at large. We as believers can get off the narrow path and follow our own desires, false prophets and doctrine and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post

The verse that was quickened to my mind was working out our salvation with fear and trembling. There are going to be many who will stand in front of the Lord who did great miracles and worked for him in his name, yet they did not follow the narrow path. I'm thinking there is more to Christianity than just getting saved and attending church and praying.
There no doubt in my mind that this gate Strait is a very difficult one, in spite of what several fellow Christians have commented to me, about it not being a problem", I beg to differ,
It's hard as heck at times, since I love Christ and have an ongoing relationship
with the Holy Spirit as my only source of comfort and help.. I'm able to
In my experience in walking it, the nonsense have to be cut out, to walk this one...... as I said in a similar thread, this Strait gate is liken unto that of a tightrope
The walk with Christ is a love affair", you cannot do this unless you love Christ; and you cant love Christ without the assistance of the Holy Spirit,
I don't care what anyone try to convince me of.
in the same manner that you would love your spouse;
there's just things that you will do when you love someone sincerely, you're no longer out for self interests, what you will do what it takes to please the other person in the love affair, in this case not compromising, having their back 100 percent, being the best that you can be at all times;
This can't be done apart from Love unconditional.

The Book of Matthew Chapter 7
Christ, ending His sermon on the mount, reproves rash judgment
1 `Judge not, that ye may not be judged, 2 for in what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged, and in what measure ye measure, it shall be measured to you. 3 `And why dost thou behold the mote that is in thy brother's eye, and the beam that is in thine own eye dost not consider? 4 or, how wilt thou say to thy brother, Suffer I may cast out the mote from thine eye, and lo, the beam is in thine own eye? 5 Hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then thou shalt see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. 6 `Ye may not give that which is holy to the dogs, nor cast your pearls before the swine, that they may not trample them among their feet, and having turned--may rend you.

exhorts us to pray
7 `Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you; 8 for every one who is asking doth receive, and he who is seeking doth find, and to him who is knocking it shall be opened. 9 `Or what man is of you, of whom, if his son may ask a loaf--a stone will he present to him? 10 and if a fish he may ask--a serpent will he present to him? 11 if, therefore, ye being evil, have known good gifts to give to your children, how much more shall your Father who is in the heavens give good things to those asking him?

12 `All things, therefore, whatever ye may will that men may be doing to you, so also do to them, for this is the law and the prophets. 13 `Go ye in through the strait gate, because wide is the gate, and broad the way that is leading to the destruction, and many are those going in through it; 14 how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!
Matt 7:1-14 (YLT)

The way to eternal life is narrow. We are not in heaven as soon as we are got through the strait gate. Self must be denied, the body kept under, and corruptions mortified. Daily temptations must be resisted; duties must be done. We must watch in all things, and walk with care; and we must go through much tribulation. And yet this way should invite us all; it leads to life: to present comfort in the favour of God, which is the life of the soul; to eternal bliss, the hope of which at the end of our way, should make all the difficulties of the road easy to us. This plain declaration of Christ has been disregarded by many who have taken pains to explain it away; but in all ages the real disciple of Christ has been looked on as a singular, unfashionable character; and all that have sided with the greater number, have gone on in the broad road to destruction. If we would serve God, we must be firm in our religion. —Matthew Henry Concise

Nothing so much prevents men from entering the strait gate, and becoming true followers of Christ, as the carnal, soothing, flattering doctrines of those who oppose the truth. They may be known by the drift and effects of their doctrines. Some part of their temper and conduct is contrary to the mind of Christ—Matthew Henry Concise
p.s. the term "you" is a habit from being raised in N.Y. we talked back then to each other in third person, i hadn't realized that I did this until, I read over it., But I'm referring to anyone myself inclusive.
thanks

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-11-2008 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: fixing quote marks

Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,773,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I'm trying to understand where you are coming from.. do you mean that all people that don't understand the whole truth or believe a false interpretation will be those to whom Jesus says "Depart from me, you that work iniquity"?
I believe the church is teaching a false gospel. I believe the church is leading the masses away from the God of the bible. That verse says what it says. It is an eye opener. Who does mighty works in the name of Jesus? Who is prophesying in Jesus`s name?Who is calling Jesus Lord,Lord? In my opnion,it can be none other than the church. That is the many who do all of those things. Unfortunately people like to run with the crowd. We like to go with the popular teaching. We want to feel like we are part of an exclusive club that has the truth..it` s makes us feel good or accepted (ego).

Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,469,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I believe the church is teaching a false gospel. I believe the church is leading the masses away from the God of the bible. That verse says what it says. It is an eye opener. Who does mighty works in the name of Jesus? Who is prophesying in Jesus`s name?Who is calling Jesus Lord,Lord? In my opnion,it can be none other than the church. That is the many who do all of those things. Unfortunately people like to run with the crowd. We like to go with the popular teaching. We want to feel like we are part of an exclusive club that has the truth..it` s makes us feel good or accepted (ego).
I agree with you to a certain extent. It is not "the church", it is apostate churches that are doing what you speak of. It is totally unfair to peg all of the church as guilty! Jesus said He would establish His church and the gates of hades would not prevail against it. The church He bled and died for is still alive and well. To imply otherwise is calling Christ a liar.

Christ did not establish hundreds of 'churches', all with differing doctrines! He established only one church, with only one doctrine. It is man that added to, and took away.

Yes, most of the seven churches of Asia had serious problems, but they were still congregations of the church...they were those who had obeyed the gospel and been added to the church. Many, (even most of), these other 'churches' do not even teach their members that they must obey the doctrine of Christ. Many of them teach that all you need to do is believe! ( The demons believe and tremble!, but they certainly are not saved!)

And I hope a group of these folks don't jump in here and say that is my interpretation ! Jusus did not give us the option to 'interpret' what is written in His word (and I am talking about the entire New Testament, not just the 'red letter' parts!).

Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 PM

777 posts, read 1,253,867 times
There are a lot of problems in the churches, but I don’t think people should leave their churches unless the gospel is not being preached.
‘Or if a different “tickling” gospel is being preached – one without repentance and grace.

let’s continue reading Mathew 7 …

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
Matthew 7:24 KJV

‘Sort of relates to…
"Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?
"Everyone who comes to Me and hears My words and acts on them, I will show you whom he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on the rock;
and when a flood occurred, the torrent burst against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.
Luke 6:46-48 NASB

We well be recognized by our fruits (Galatians 5) and these fruits are only produced by allowing God to ‘know’ and correct our imperfections.

We should pay particular attention to Matthew 5 to understand the higher call to obey the spirit of the commandments – rather than just the letter.
...And Jesus commandments concerning love.

We need to be sensitive to the prompting of the Holy Spirit and ready to obey.

For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again,
but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"
Rom 8:14,15 NASB

And in following what God prompts, and not our human wisdom and techniques for our own credit –We can do lasting works for God’s glory - not of our merit or for our glory.

If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
1Corinthians 3:14,15

… Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; ...
Psalm 127:1 NASB

To me, the narrow gate is not - just knowing about Jesus.
Or… just believing in Him.
Although, He is indeed the only way to the Father.

It is following Him. He IS the Way.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,818,165 times
Hi Hoosier,
Been keeping you in thought and prayer.

The narrow path was described by the prophet Isaiah, recorded in Isaiah 35:8-9. IN the NIV the chapter is headlined "Joy of the Redeemed"

Verse 8-9

"And a highway will be there;
it will be called the Way of Holiness.
The unclean will not journey on it;
it will be for those who walk in that Way;
wicked fools will not go about on it."

"No lion will be there,
nor will any ferocious beast get up on it;
they will not be found there.
But only the redeemed will walk there,"

The question is, what makes you eligible to walk about it. What makes you holy (perfect) so that you are found to be perfect, righteous and not a wicked fool?

Ezekiel 33:13
If I tell the righteous man that he will surely live, but then he trusts in his righteousness and does evil, none of the righteous things he has done will be remembered; he will die for the evil he has done

Romans 4:5
However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness

The path has always been by faith. If you trust any part of your works, your righteousness, you are evil, unclean, a wicked fool and none of the righteous things done will be remembered. These are the people who will cry out 'Lord lord, did we not prophesy and do good works?'.

Tell me, who on this forum constantly speaks of "faith, grace and works"

Old 11-15-2008, 03:59 PM

777 posts, read 1,253,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

The path has always been by faith. If you trust any part of your works, your righteousness, you are evil, unclean, a wicked fool and none of the righteous things done will be remembered. These are the people who will cry out 'Lord lord, did we not prophesy and do good works?'.

Tell me, who on this forum constantly speaks of "faith, grace and works"
Hi twin.spin,
I don't know the answer to your last "question", but you are right we are saved by faith in the righteousness of Christ and His sacrifice in our stead.

Faith taken to heart will yield at least the beginnings the fruit of the Spirit and the desire to help others and show them God's love.

Works alone are dead -as it says: without faith it is impossible to please God.

But faith must have a result in our lives.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:16 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,818,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
Hi twin.spin,
I don't know the answer to your last "question", but you are right we are saved by faith in the righteousness of Christ and His sacrifice in our stead.

Faith taken to heart will yield at least the beginnings the fruit of the Spirit and the desire to help others and show them God's love.

Works alone are dead -as it says: without faith it is impossible to please God.

But faith must have a result in our lives.
Agreed, I believe Jesus called that fruits.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:06 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,773,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
There are a lot of problems in the churches, but I don’t think people should leave their churches unless the gospel is not being preached.
What is the true gospel or good news? IMO 99% of the churches teach a false gospel. For a lot of them it`s all about the money and trying to increase attendance so they can bring in more money..just like the televangelist or people hawking their books to make money....using the name of God to enrich themselves. Watching a televangelist on tv is like watching a marathon..all about the money. What do they teach? They teach the same thing that most modern churches teach which is false doctrine..again..my opinion. Where do MOST of today`s so called christians get their intepretation of God`s word? They get it from these same churches and televangelist. They all follow the same false doctrine. But these great masses of people are the ones who think they are heading for the narrow gate. Folks it is truly a narrow gate. If I was running with the crowd and the religious people of the day, I would be very concerned about what I believe. Look at the history of the bible and the religious crowds or majority of past eras. People who truly thought they had the truth. Let God`s word and his word only be your guide..not the popular teaching of man and the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity