U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,775,496 times

Advertisements

As a believer in Christ, are you walking the narrow path? I recently heard a sermon on the narrow path that challenged my perception. I'd always assumed that the narrow path was for Christians and the wide path was for unbelievers. However, my pastor brought to light that Jesus is talking about those within the religious community, no about the world at large. We as believers can get off the narrow path and follow our own desires, false prophets and doctrine and so on.

The verse that was quickened to my mind was working out our salvation with fear and trembling. There are going to be many who will stand in front of the Lord who did great miracles and worked for him in his name, yet they did not follow the narrow path. I'm thinking there is more to Christianity than just getting saved and attending church and praying.

If you check out the link, I'm referring to the Nov. 9 message (http://www.edinbrookchurch.org/MEDIA/CURRENTMESSAGES.HTM - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Matthew 7:13-14 "You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad and its gate is wide for the many who choose the easy way. But the gateway to life is small and the road is narrow and only a few ever find it".

This does not mean that it's difficult to become a Christian, but that there is only ONE way to eternal life with God.Believing in Jesus is the only way to Heaven, because He alone died for our sins. Actually the road is wide enough for the whole world, if only they would choose it.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,770,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
The verse that was quickened to my mind was working out our salvation with fear and trembling. There are going to be many who will stand in front of the Lord who did great miracles and worked for him in his name, yet they did not follow the narrow path. I'm thinking there is more to Christianity than just getting saved and attending church and praying.
Read this verse very carefully...matthew 7:22

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, lord, have we not in thy name prophesied? and in thy name cast out demons? and in thy name done many mighty things?

Who are many that call Jesus Lord? Who are many that prophesy in Jesus`s name? Who cast out demons in Jesus`s name? Who are the many that do mighty things in Jesus`s name? The same many who would rather go with the popular interpretations of man rather than God. The ones who would rather run with the safety and security of the modern day sect or church rather than God. The people Jesus is talking about in that verse are really shocked to know they were not following the truth. They truly thought they were. These are not some other religion. These are people that know the name of Jesus as Lord. These people thought they had the Holy Spirit guiding them.These are MANY, not a few far out religious sects or cults. When the bible says MANY...it means MANY. We need to read the bible and pray that God will open our eyes to his truth. To do that,MANY will have to be willing to admit they were deceived and following the smooth talk of man...believing the modern church`s interpretation of God`s word rather than the word itself. Come out of her my people!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,371,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Read this verse very carefully...matthew 7:22

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, lord, have we not in thy name prophesied? and in thy name cast out demons? and in thy name done many mighty things?

Who are many that call Jesus Lord? Who are many that prophesy in Jesus`s name? Who cast out demons in Jesus`s name? Who are the many that do mighty things in Jesus`s name? The same many who would rather go with the popular interpretations of man rather than God. The ones who would rather run with the safety and security of the modern day sect or church rather than God. The people Jesus is talking about in that verse are really shocked to know they were not following the truth. They truly thought they were. These are not some other religion. These are people that know the name of Jesus as Lord. These people thought they had the Holy Spirit guiding them.These are MANY, not a few far out religious sects or cults. When the bible says MANY...it means MANY. We need to read the bible and pray that God will open our eyes to his truth. To do that,MANY will have to be willing to admit they were deceived and following the smooth talk of man...believing the modern church`s interpretation of God`s word rather than the word itself. Come out of her my people!
Awesome post. Tried to rep you, but said I needed to spread the love around some more

Old 11-10-2008, 09:08 PM

3,576 posts, read 451,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Awesome post. Tried to rep you, but said I needed to spread the love around some more
spm62 ......... What she said

Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,197,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I'm thinking there is more to Christianity than just getting saved and attending church and praying.
I agree, there is much more to Christianity than the narrow path..Many on the narrow path have blinders on and can only see what awaits THEM at the end of the path..If we remove the blinders and see around us the things we can be doing for those searching for the path, or for those that have other needs, and we stop to help them along the way, then the light is a little brighter along our path...The path is much more pleasant when you are not alone on it..I also think the path (to God) may have "forks" along the way, that may be a little bumpy and have some curves in them, but with faith and perserverance, they all eventually meet at the light..

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-11-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: fixing quote marks

Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,464,772 times
Spm62, So very true! How I wish all of these groups could have their eyes opened to the truth, and see where they have gone wrong.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,561,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
We need to read the bible and pray that God will open our eyes to his truth. To do that,MANY will have to be willing to admit they were deceived and following the smooth talk of man...believing the modern church`s interpretation of God`s word rather than the word itself. Come out of her my people!
I'm trying to understand where you are coming from.. do you mean that all people that don't understand the whole truth or believe a false interpretation will be those to whom Jesus says "Depart from me, you that work iniquity"?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 AM

1,366 posts, read 2,841,955 times
In addition to getting saved, attending church and praying is being an example to others. We are supposed to be lights unto the world. If we set a bad example, people get turned off right away and say things like, "what's the deal with being a Christian anyhow, they do what the rest of us do?"

Being an example doesn't soley mean being a good parent, teaching your kids right and wrong. It also means walking away from bad situations that seem fun, not spreading the office gossip, not participating in questionable joke sessions and so on. If you choose to walk in the ways of the world, unpopular as it may be, you're probably not on that aforementioned narrow path.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 AM

3,576 posts, read 451,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
In addition to getting saved, attending church and praying is being an example to others. We are supposed to be lights unto the world. If we set a bad example, people get turned off right away and say things like, "what's the deal with being a Christian anyhow, they do what the rest of us do?"

Being an example doesn't soley mean being a good parent, teaching your kids right and wrong. It also means walking away from bad situations that seem fun, not spreading the office gossip, not participating in questionable joke sessions and so on. If you choose to walk in the ways of the world, unpopular as it may be, you're probably not on that aforementioned narrow path.
Jesus says don't be like the pharisees and pray in front of people and use big words and like the chief seats at the synagogue - they are looking for the praise of men.

Matt 6:5, Luke 18:10-14

I agree that not spreading office gossip is called for, however what we are called to strive for is what is right not what seems right and looks to be christian.

If you are trying to tailor your life to be "christian like" you are to a greater of lesser degree following the doctrines of men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity