U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:42 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,378,057 times

Advertisements

In order most effectually to check the evils which existed, and to bring them to a proper mode of observing the Lord's Supper, the apostle proceeds to state distinctly and particularly its design. They had mistaken its nature. They supposed it might be a common festival. They had made it the occasion of great disorder. He therefore adverts to the solemn circumstances in which it was instituted; the particular object which it had in view-the commemoration of the death of the Redeemer; and the purpose which it was designed to subserve-which was not that of a festival, but to keep before the church and the world a constant remembrance of the Lord Jesus, until he should again return,1 Corinthians 11:26. By this means the apostle evidently hoped to recall them from their irregularities, and to bring them to a just mode of celebrating this holy ordinance. He did not, therefore, denounce them even for their irregularity and gross disorder; he did not use harsh, violent, vituperative language; but he expected to reform the evil by a mild and tender statement of the truth, and by an appeal to their consciences as the followers of the Lord Jesus.

1 Cor 11:23-26 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 PM

17,750 posts, read 15,047,446 times
Christianity spreads by 'house churches' in China

"Because most Protestant house churches are non-denominational (that is, not affiliated with Lutherans, Methodists and so on), they have no fixed liturgy or tradition. Their services are like Bible-study classes."

"And according to China Aid Association, a Texas-based lobby group, the director of the government body that supervises all religions in China, said privately that the figure was indeed as much as 130 million in early 2008.
If so, it would mean China contains more Christians than Communists (party membership is 74 million) and there may be more active Christians in China than in any other country."

I don't know about the rest of you but I see good news, not bad for the church.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,563,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Christianity spreads by 'house churches' in China

"Because most Protestant house churches are non-denominational (that is, not affiliated with Lutherans, Methodists and so on), they have no fixed liturgy or tradition. Their services are like Bible-study classes."

"And according to China Aid Association, a Texas-based lobby group, the director of the government body that supervises all religions in China, said privately that the figure was indeed as much as 130 million in early 2008.
If so, it would mean China contains more Christians than Communists (party membership is 74 million) and there may be more active Christians in China than in any other country."

I don't know about the rest of you but I see good news, not bad for the church.
This is where the Spirit would have more liberty.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 526 times
To TheWordIsOne:

Are you saying that someone who has been married and divorced and remarried is not or cannot be a Christian? My parents were in the baby boomer generation and in all the fight for secular freedoms the fundamentals of what a Christian marriage is supposed to be or even how to let God choose your mate so that you are walking in His will has been lost as well, in regards to teaching their children these things to apply in their own lives. I was left without good sense of how to choose friends and a mate and felt left out on my own without a good sense of direction. I was never brought up to listen to God and pray for direction in any situation let alone the major decisions that were going to come up in my life. This was not something I learned until much later in life and by then it was too late. I was married and my husband divorced me and went off with another woman (he was an unbeliever as well). I asked God for forgiveness in my failed marriage and asked that if this was my only chance that He help me to stay pure and give me peace and joy in having to remain single for the rest of my life. I also asked that if it was His will that I would commit to waiting until He brought me the Godly man He had for me. He has brought that man to me and we are happily married and living our lives for God. It truly upsets me when other Christians speak as if any sin is greater than the other and cannot be forgiven. If I lie and am truly convicted and sorry I am guaranteed forgiveness. I made a mistake in marrying a man who did not share my faith and I sinned in not waiting for the man God had for me and it ending up in divorce. I have truly been convicted for that and repented and forgiven but according to you and others on this site my sin is greater than anything that could be forgiven. I'm sorry but if that is your opinion we do not share the same God because my God is bigger than any sin and my sins are washed by my savior. It also warns in the Bible does it not of judging others - there is only one judge and I'm sorry my friend but it's not you. One of the major reasons Christians fall away is a lack of love and and overwhelming damnation in the church and I mean the body of Christ not the physical building we go into. We are commanded to hold each other accountable but accountability in God's love and damning judgement are two very different things. I believe there was a woman at the well that Christ forgave who had several husbands and was living with her lover so I think perhaps we are not the only generation that marries and divorces and remarries. They just didn't have national companies that put out statistics then for everyone to read and the judge and condemn. There is no new sin in our generation just more readily available statistics.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,756,061 times
Wow, this is a really old thread. GospelFox, I don't know that you will get a response from the WordIsOne,..........haven't seen him around in a while.

But you're right, no new sin, just more readily available statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity