U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2008, 11:15 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,552,547 times
Reputation: 4461

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Actually he broke that promise and his wife was none to happy about it...

He was daily bumming smokes off of people during the entire campaign.

godspeed,


freedom
Can you see him asking W where the smoking wing is?

 
Old 11-13-2008, 11:15 AM
 
9,727 posts, read 3,444,802 times
Reputation: 10761
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I think that this is a clear sign that someone needs to seek some help. I would think that Jesus believed in Communism and the freedom of all people. After all, didn't Jesus advocate for people to share with one another? Isn't that what Communism is ACTUALLY supposed to be about? If you don't understand Communism, you really shouldn't talk about how it's sinful.

First, communism had not even been thought of when Jesus was alive. So I don't think that He could have been a communist. While it is true that communism would work in its purest form, the problem is - people. Power corrupts and this is always true. That is why communism will never work in its purest form. You cannot show one communist government that has not abused its own people. Since the rise of communism, it has killed more people than in all wars combined. I never said communism was sinful, but it is a proven failed system of government.
 
Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,845,510 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
First, communism had not even been thought of when Jesus was alive. So I don't think that He could have been a communist. While it is true that communism would work in its purest form, the problem is - people. Power corrupts and this is always true. That is why communism will never work in its purest form. You cannot show one communist government that has not abused its own people. Since the rise of communism, it has killed more people than in all wars combined. I never said communism was sinful, but it is a proven failed system of government.
At no point in history has a naiton ever been truly Communist. They've been Stalinist, Castro-ist or Maoist, but never Communist. But countries have been socialistic (which is what Obama would actually lead us to, the notion that he'd somehow turn us into Stalist Russia is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard) and incredibly successful. In fact, the best nations in the world (according to the Human Development Index and every other standard of living measurement) are all socialistic: Norway, Sweden and Denmark. I've been to those countries and they are all superior to the US in the quality of life. And one of the richest men in the world is from Sweden, so it doesn't even prevent people from being ultra-wealthy.

And judging by your first sentence, you clearly can't understand some pretty basic abstract thought. I said that Jesus advocated sharing and hated wealth. Otherwise, would monks have to vow poverty to be truly Christian? Capitalism is the embodiment of greed, and Jesus would be appalled at the greed and disparity in America today. Think he'd support trickle-down economics? Obviously not. He believed in sharing with your neighbors and helping others before helping oneself, that's a lot more like Communism than Capitalism.
 
Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,466,667 times
Reputation: 3755
" helping others before helping oneself,"

Hmmm, that sure sounds like Christianity to me.
 
Old 11-13-2008, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Seward, Alaska
2,739 posts, read 7,642,662 times
Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Obama stands on the opposite side of many moral issues of the believers. Some of his past associations have been with communists, marxists, abortionists and black liberation theolgy. Looking at these facts there is much reason for concern. What as believers should we do???

First, I think we should remember that from before the foundation of the Republic, Godly men and women have cried out to the Lord for mercy and blessing on this land the Lord brought us to. We should remember, it is the Lord who searches hearts and minds and knows them.

Like it or not as of Jan 20 2009 he is our president. The Lord knows what is in Obama's heart and mind, we do not.

Many believers in this country are getting visions, dreams and/or a knowing in the spirit that terrible judgements are about to come on our nation. Again, what should we do?

I think we should begin to fast and pray for mercy for our nation and new president and that the Lord would give him the wisdom and courage to do God's will for our land. What do you think?

Just pray. Because, individually, we probably will have zero influence on the President (unless you happen to be Billy Graham, or other significant person). Even though Obama stands behind some issues that oppose those of the majority of Christians, it is highly unlikely that he is "100% bad"...even from a Christian viewpoint. Most Presidents turn out to be a mix of both good and bad, and I would bet Obama will be the same. Remember: prayer changes things. He ran a campaign promising change. Therefore, he is probably open to some change himself...
Collectively, Christians can make a difference, both with their prayers, and also because we represent a significant portion of voters.
Just pray, and then don't worry about it...God has a handle on the situation!

Bud
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 PM
 
9,727 posts, read 3,444,802 times
Reputation: 10761
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
At no point in history has a naiton ever been truly Communist. They've been Stalinist, Castro-ist or Maoist, but never Communist. But countries have been socialistic (which is what Obama would actually lead us to, the notion that he'd somehow turn us into Stalist Russia is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard) and incredibly successful. In fact, the best nations in the world (according to the Human Development Index and every other standard of living measurement) are all socialistic: Norway, Sweden and Denmark. I've been to those countries and they are all superior to the US in the quality of life. And one of the richest men in the world is from Sweden, so it doesn't even prevent people from being ultra-wealthy.

And judging by your first sentence, you clearly can't understand some pretty basic abstract thought. I said that Jesus advocated sharing and hated wealth. Otherwise, would monks have to vow poverty to be truly Christian? Capitalism is the embodiment of greed, and Jesus would be appalled at the greed and disparity in America today. Think he'd support trickle-down economics? Obviously not. He believed in sharing with your neighbors and helping others before helping oneself, that's a lot more like Communism than Capitalism.


If you apologize for your personal insult, I might respond.
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:10 PM
 
9,727 posts, read 3,444,802 times
Reputation: 10761
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Just pray. Because, individually, we probably will have zero influence on the President (unless you happen to be Billy Graham, or other significant person). Even though Obama stands behind some issues that oppose those of the majority of Christians, it is highly unlikely that he is "100% bad"...even from a Christian viewpoint. Most Presidents turn out to be a mix of both good and bad, and I would bet Obama will be the same. Remember: prayer changes things. He ran a campaign promising change. Therefore, he is probably open to some change himself...
Collectively, Christians can make a difference, both with their prayers, and also because we represent a significant portion of voters.
Just pray, and then don't worry about it...God has a handle on the situation!

Bud

I completely agree with you, Bud.
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 PM
 
Location: New York
321 posts, read 591,132 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisiesnfreckles View Post
To be fair to Bush and McCain, we don't have pictures of the soles of their shoes (that I'm aware of) to compare to Obama's, so it's an unfair judgment to make.
No Daisie. The comparison is not in the shoes [i]per se/i]. Bush's family has buttloads of money via oil and McCain's wife is an heiress to a family fortune. If I recall, the Obama's made a little over a million this past year combined which I would think pales in comparison to what Bush and McCain probably made in their private worlds.
 
Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Location: New York
321 posts, read 591,132 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Actually he broke that promise and his wife was none to happy about it...

He was daily bumming smokes off of people during the entire campaign.

godspeed,


freedom

Link?
 
Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Location: NC
11,918 posts, read 13,816,000 times
Reputation: 1323
Good post Bud.


No one is perfect. I know that I am not, and we may all struggle with habits that we want to change. Smoking is not an easy habit to stop and I wish the best for President elect Obama God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top