U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:51 PM

3,259 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
free will.

people make their own choices, and decide to go a separate route
Or they look for an easy way out. There is a Scripture that says to much is given much is required. When you really think about it, there are so many people who would rather remain ignorant when it comes to religion, God, or anything spiritual, and these are people who call themselves spiritual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM

140 posts, read 402,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Excellent posts, Supermom Welcome to the forums..I hope you will stay and get to know us..We are certainly a diversified bunch, but try to respect everyones opinions
Hey thanks, blue62! Good to be here.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:08 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,318,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
Hi. I'm curious. What does one do? Growing up, i was in church, got into the teen years, got away from the church, later in years have found my way back to the church. I try very hard to do the right things, and keep the faith. I feel like i've been in prayer all day long. BUT....there are things going on with our family, being honest..we lost everything. Anyways, i pray and pray for God to provide for us. (And yes we are doing everything we can as well) The holidays are coming, and i want my girls in a home. So what do i do when im sitting here questioning everything i've learned in the church?
I've been a Christian for 20 years as of October and I still haven't questioned my faith yet. This is the first thing I've ever become involved in that I actually stuck with. If I were to list everything I've been through you'd think I was lying but none of it has made me doubt. I just feel more determined and I feel my faith grow stronger with each obstacle, whether I falter or overcome it. It's not something I can take credit for so I can't tell you how I do it. Since I was 13, long before I became a Christian, I started suspecting everything was a test of some kind, a prelude to what we will be doing when we leave here. I think the stronger your faith, the more favorable it will be. Even when it seems your prayers aren't being answered--as I often have felt--that, too, is part of what's helping make us stronger, somehow. I know this probably isn't making much sense to you. I wish I could explain it better.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:19 AM

5,408 posts, read 13,317,776 times
We are only saved by GRACE, through faith. This saving grace and faith do not happen because of something we have done in life or because of how we are living right now. Why? Because they are God's gift to us miserable sinners destined for eternal punishment. If we heard His call and then came to Him in sincere obedience and humble repentance, it was not because of our own desperate or brave action (because apart from His sustaining power, we would never be able to turn away from our wickedness), but rather because His Holy Spirit opened the eyes of our hearts and began leading us away from the deadly road to ultimate destruction and onto the path of righteousness.

We should give Him the glory every moment of every day for cutting our heavy chains of captivity to Satan, sin, and death! Praise Him, because He alone is worthy of all praise! Let us feed our hearts, souls, and minds with His powerful words so that we will no longer be consumed with fighting the desires of the flesh - which has been destroyed with the old creature - but rather love and obey Him in every way He has commanded. He has already given us victory over the limited power of Satan, sin, and death. What are these trials that so easily distract us? They are God's way of reminding us that He is sovreign, holy, just, omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, therefore nothing else matters if we always trust Him.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 AM

3,259 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
We are only saved by GRACE, through faith. This saving grace and faith do not happen because of something we have done in life or because of how we are living right now. Why? Because they are God's gift to us miserable sinners destined for eternal punishment. If we heard His call and then came to Him in sincere obedience and humble repentance, it was not because of our own desperate or brave action (because apart from His sustaining power, we would never be able to turn away from our wickedness), but rather because His Holy Spirit opened the eyes of our hearts and began leading us away from the deadly road to ultimate destruction and onto the path of righteousness.

We should give Him the glory every moment of every day for cutting our heavy chains of captivity to Satan, sin, and death! Praise Him, because He alone is worthy of all praise! Let us feed our hearts, souls, and minds with His powerful words so that we will no longer be consumed with fighting the desires of the flesh - which has been destroyed with the old creature - but rather love and obey Him in every way He has commanded. He has already given us victory over the limited power of Satan, sin, and death. What are these trials that so easily distract us? They are God's way of reminding us that He is sovreign, holy, just, omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, therefore nothing else matters if we always trust Him.
Well said, and Amen!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:40 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,555,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner View Post
we are only saved by grace, through faith. This saving grace and faith do not happen because of something we have done in life or because of how we are living right now. Why? Because they are god's gift to us miserable sinners destined for eternal punishment. If we heard his call and then came to him in sincere obedience and humble repentance, it was not because of our own desperate or brave action (because apart from his sustaining power, we would never be able to turn away from our wickedness), but rather because his holy spirit opened the eyes of our hearts and began leading us away from the deadly road to ultimate destruction and onto the path of righteousness.

We should give him the glory every moment of every day for cutting our heavy chains of captivity to satan, sin, and death! Praise him, because he alone is worthy of all praise! Let us feed our hearts, souls, and minds with his powerful words so that we will no longer be consumed with fighting the desires of the flesh - which has been destroyed with the old creature - but rather love and obey him in every way he has commanded. He has already given us victory over the limited power of satan, sin, and death. What are these trials that so easily distract us? They are god's way of reminding us that he is sovreign, holy, just, omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, therefore nothing else matters if we always trust him.
+1

Old 11-19-2008, 12:43 PM

5,408 posts, read 13,317,776 times
He alone gives us such incomprehensible joy and peace in the midst of incalculable physical and emotional suffering. Halleluiah! Without His blessed assurance of eternal life, we would remain in misery, completely devoid of any hope, vainly searching for the true meaning of life.

Borrowing from the beautiful song,

Quote:
God and God alone created all these things we call our own
From the mighty to the small the Glory in them all is God's and God's alone

God and God alone is fit to take the universe's throne
Let everything that lives reserve it's truest praise for God and God alone

God and God alone reveals the truth of all we call unknown
and the best and worst of man wont change the Master's plan it's God's and God's alone

God and God alone will be the joy of our eternal home
He will be our one desire Our hearts will never tire of God's and God's alone
Amen.

Watch
this video for more encouragement.

Last edited by Skyliner; 11-19-2008 at 12:54 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,004,040 times
God never answered my prayers as well.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,453,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiccanways View Post
God never answered my prayers as well.
What did you pray for?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,004,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
What did you pray for?
To be happy with myself. I had some issues with myself. Most have gone away with my Pagan beliefs.

Thanks for asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or