U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,411,140 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm curious. What does one do? Growing up, i was in church, got into the teen years, got away from the church, later in years have found my way back to the church. I try very hard to do the right things, and keep the faith. I feel like i've been in prayer all day long. BUT....there are things going on with our family, being honest..we lost everything. Anyways, i pray and pray for God to provide for us. (And yes we are doing everything we can as well) The holidays are coming, and i want my girls in a home. So what do i do when im sitting here questioning everything i've learned in the church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,310,339 times
God is there and listening.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you speak with your Pastor, and your church.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 5,947 times
Sunshine....all I have to say is God is there! And he is listening! Keep the faith! Do NOT let others tell you God does not listen or answer prayers. He does.....there is a time and place for everything. You just got to trust and know that God is in CONTROL!!! Trust God.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,621,533 times
My first question would be, are you merely questioning the teaching you receive in church, or are you ultimately questioning what you understand from reading the Bible? 1 John 4:1 makes it clear that we should "not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." (Read the first six verses for more) With that in mind, I believe it is our duty to question (test, not automatically doubt) everything we hear in church and determine whether it adheres to the message preserved for us in God's Word.

With regard to your current physical and emotional suffering, I encourage you to realize that earthly posessions, wealth, and societal status are not important in eternity. They won't be required after we die and they aren't required to live by faith before we die. All that we need is a servant's obedient faith (out of genuine love, not duty or tradition) in Almightly God, because of his gracious gift of eternal life through the death and resurrection of his precious Son, Jesus Christ, to us who have never been worthy of anything good.

For more help, please find a copy of Dr. Michael Youssef's book, 'If God is in Control, Why is My Life Such a Mess?' It is a very helpful book in such cases. I pray God will open your heart to understanding his everlasting love and care for his children. Please don't hesitate to ask any additional questions.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,342,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
Hi. I'm curious. What does one do? Growing up, i was in church, got into the teen years, got away from the church, later in years have found my way back to the church. I try very hard to do the right things, and keep the faith. I feel like i've been in prayer all day long. BUT....there are things going on with our family, being honest..we lost everything. Anyways, i pray and pray for God to provide for us. (And yes we are doing everything we can as well) The holidays are coming, and i want my girls in a home. So what do i do when im sitting here questioning everything i've learned in the church?
My take on it, for what it's worth, is that God doesn't give you what you can't handle. I don't mean that I believe that God sits around "allowing" things to happen to us or intervening, for good or ill, in our daily lives. He's not some celestial puppet-master, pulling our strings. But I do believe that when he made us, he gave us all the tools we'd ever need to handle whatever comes our way. You've got the inner strength and resiliency to get through this. It's in you already...that God-spark is already there. I have a friend who says, "We FIND ourselves when we're in the trenches." I know I've certainly found that to be true. I have a better understanding of myself, and more self-respect, because of some of the bad things that have happened. I know that doesn't sound like too much consolation, but my FAITH is just that God knows I can do this...I can handle this problem...I can overcome this obstacle. Your faith will get you through, but "faith" doesn't just mean faith in God or in a set of religious tenets, but rather a faith in YOURSELF, in the part of God that's already in you. God doesn't work around you...he works THROUGH you. (Or that's what I think, anyway.)

Your children may not be in a home by the holidays. If that doesn't happen, don't think of it as a failure or think of it as God's failing to reward your faith. Just keep plugging away. With hard work and, yes, faith eventually you WILL get your children in a home. And whenever that happens, create your own holiday.

Good luck and best wishes.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,621,533 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
it is God who empowers His children by praise. That reminded me of another wonderful book by Michael Youssef, 'Empowered by Praise: How God Responds When You Revel in His Glory'.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-12-2008 at 01:51 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 01:50 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,467,970 times
This thread was moved here form the R&P parent forum. The OP meant to post it here so it's been moved and non-Christian responses removed.

I trust you guys will give her the support she needs.

Thanks

Alpha

Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 PM

7,556 posts, read 11,854,664 times
Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me. (Micah 7:8)

Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM

13,558 posts, read 21,653,925 times
Hi Sunshine, you haven't given out much information about exactly what you are asking..Are you asking if God is somehow not hearing your prayers, or are you questioning your faith, because of your situation? Or are you asking for advice as to where you can go for help? Maybe this will help you a little...

In times of great stress, I never question God..and I hold onto my faith no matter what the situation is, because I believe that when we reach that spot that He will provide for our needs, because I believe he uses other people's generosity, and gifts they have been given by Him to give us the "miracle" we may be asking for through our prayers..

Perhaps God placed you in your present church, because of the generous people there who can and will gladly help you through these hard times..Go to your Pastor, Elder or someone in the church that you are well acquainted with..People may not be aware of your situation, as they are not privvy to your prayers sent to God

Finally, not all help comes from the church one attends..There are many organizations, some run by Federal, State and Local Governments and many charitable connections by believers and nonbelievers alike..God uses all of us to help make our personal miracles happen

Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,411,140 times
Thank you for the positive responses. And especially to you Alpha. My grandmother always told me that God doesnt give you what you cannot handle, as someone has stated. And i get praises from my step-mother about how strong i am. However, i dont want praises. Inside i feel like im falling apart. I try to stay strong on the outside for my children. I know there is a God, and i'm trying, but anger sets in at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or