U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:50 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,654,008 times

Advertisements

(Matt. 11:28-30) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

"Come to me.. with all your fears of the future and the present and maybe the past.

"Come to me with all your hatred of others, yourself, and even me.

"Come to me with the aching hole in your heart that you are trying in vain to fill.. let me do it.

"Come to me with your mistakes and sins, even though you have failed again and again, and hate yourself for it.. come to me with that too.

"Come to me with your pain and suffering, your financial, health, family crisis and whatever else and let me help you through it.

"Come to me with your doubt.. your doubt about the awesome power and magnitude of my love. Let me show you. Leave your doubts about your worthiness and ability with me too.

"Come to me with your confusion about which way is updownrightleft.. the confusion that comes by focusing on mankind and not on me.

"Just come with it all.. I can handle it!"

~Jesus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 AM

7,556 posts, read 11,866,159 times
Can't rep you yet, but this is what it's all about.

"Follow me" is the great commission.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 AM

116 posts, read 284,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Can't rep you yet, but this is what it's all about.

"Follow me" is the great commission.
Ditto.

Nice post, cg81!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:24 AM

4,146 posts, read 634,070 times
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cg81 again.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:40 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,476,969 times
It's a humbling thing to consider what you've posted, cg81.

Indeed I believe it is all true.

But to think of the Creator of Heaven and Earth accepting me as I am....well...it makes me kinda get a tear in my eye.

If God loved us 'while we were still sinners' and unforgiven God-haters, how much more so now.

I'm so thankful for the cross and
once again I look upon the cross where He died and I'm humbled by His mercy and I'm broken inside.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,244,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
(Matt. 11:28-30) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

"Come to me.. with all your fears of the future and the present and maybe the past.

"Come to me with the aching hole in your heart that you are trying in vain to fill.. let me do it.

"Come to me with your mistakes and sins, even though you have failed again and again, and hate yourself for it.. come to me with that too.

"Come to me with your pain and suffering, your financial, health, family crisis and whatever else and let me help you through it.

"Come to me with your doubt.. your doubt about the awesome power and magnitude of my love. Let me show you. Leave your doubts about your worthiness and ability with me too.

"Come to me with your confusion about which way is updownrightleft.. the confusion that comes by focusing on mankind and not on me.

~Jesus

Thank you...cg81 for posting this today! I so need and needed to hear my Lord Jesus voice this hour!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 PM

13,564 posts, read 21,671,439 times
Beautifully said Cg..I visit the cross often with these burdens of my life, and I leave them there..at the foot of the cross...and when I rise from my knees, I feel refreshed, peaceful and I know He heard me

Old 11-13-2008, 01:39 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,094,709 times
Dear God,

I desparately need your help today.

I know there are many, many others who also need your help and who need to understand your desire to be there for us and to meet all of our needs.

Teach us, dear Lord, how to represent Your heart to others.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-13-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 02:22 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,652,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post

~Jesus
Why are you putting words in Jesus' mouth? Read Matthew 11 again, and show me specifically where he said those things.

The problem with presenting such "Christianese" sayings is that it misleads people into thinking Jesus will take away all their troubles. But what happens when He doesn't? Do you know how it damages a sense of hope when people are told to turn to Jesus and that He will take away their financial, health, family, and other problems....yet they still find that all their troubles have remained - even after years?

That aching heart that Christians are always telling others that Jesus will fill...? Well, how come mine hasn't been filled? How come there is still a profound loneliness in my life, and a yearning for a connection to someone/something that makes me feel content and whole and fulfilled? I'm a believer in Jesus. Am I not special enough?

THAT'S what these cutesy sayings do to people....they build them up, and then let them down. Before I became a Christian, I was a much happier person. I was much more at peace in my life. But ever since it got drilled into my head that I, as a gay man, am a dirty and despicable person, and that I must change, suddenly my life has been one great big tumultous upheaval and mass of confusion as I struggle against that which I know I am....and cannot change....while being told that the very thing I am is detestable to God. And yet, God hasn't set me free from homosexuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Indeed I believe it is all true.
Oh?

It seems to me those are just Christianisms....feel-good sayings that people have come up with that can actually be a bit misleading, because you tell people things like "God accepts you just as you are...", but then once you hook them in, you tell them "...But now He expects you to change". So apparently God DOESN'T accept you the way you are. At least not the gay people. Not according to you guys, anyway.

Quote:
But to think of the Creator of Heaven and Earth accepting me as I am....well...it makes me kinda get a tear in my eye.
Doesn't apply if you're gay.

Quote:
If God loved us 'while we were still sinners' and unforgiven God-haters, how much more so now.
Unless you're gay. Then you're made to feel like a low-life, scuzzball abomination because you simply want to love another human being. Funny....I was never a God-hater, but Christians like to make me feel like I am...and that I in turn must hate God.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,277,146 times
And when He says, "Come to me" I imagine Him with open arms
And I'm saying, "Abba father"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity