Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:00 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I must be getting old but we go to a church that is still pretty new, about eight years old. The music seems to be getting louder and louder. It actually hurts my ears. I know quite a few in the church who feel the same way but when we say anything it seems to fall on deaf ears. They seem to feel they are drawing in the younger generation.
We just got back from a trial run in our new first building. The music was so loud I thought I couldn't stand it. I saw some people putting their fingers in their ears!
Is the volume level of the music in your church an issue with you????
could be either the music director is half deaf,
or you have really good ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 05:54 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post

a band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post

I do believe there is a point where music is too loud.

She ponders...

Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
God has perfect hearing ... the volume doesn't need to be cranked as if trying to get it heard at heaven's gate

My former church had a contemporary service where once in a while I had to shake my head and cover my ears. 95% of the time though it wasn't that loud. BUT ... still, it was louder than I and many others thought appropriate. My current church home has a much more respectable volume level

Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 PM

396 posts, read 838,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
She ponders...
And what did june come up with when she pondered?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
These days music is supposed to be ear splittingly loud. Let's be real.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Quote:
Quote:
I must be getting old but we go to a church that is still pretty new, about eight years old. The music seems to be getting louder and louder. It actually hurts my ears. I know quite a few in the church who feel the same way but when we say anything it seems to fall on deaf ears. They seem to feel they are drawing in the younger generation.
We just got back from a trial run in our new first building. The music was so loud I thought I couldn't stand it. I saw some people putting their fingers in their ears!
Is the volume level of the music in your church an issue with you????

Yes, because we do not have the proper sound equipment, barriers
I would try going to the praise and worship leader/minister, and addressing this issue, using the chain of command in your church
Praising God should never hurt, since there are people who actually have auditory disorders, I personally believe there should always be harmony in a church service, it shows unity and the heart of God
He cares for people and we that represent Him should behave in a like manner
I think it's insensitive to not accomodate the needs of all people, It's not Christlike and just pure fleshly self-centeredness;
I comment from a lot of experience, I have been in the music anad praise and worship ministry for some time now. and you can't please every individual, but music should never be so loud that it hurts
God Bless You

Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
God has perfect hearing ... the volume doesn't need to be cranked as if trying to get it heard at heaven's gate
Nor do people have to pray repeatedly over and over for the same thing/situation.

He that created the ear can hear.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
yhwhshalomjr~you are so right. I did go to the worship director, a gal, and she was not very responsive. There are about 30-50 who are concerned. Our membership is only 150. So it's a big percentage. I think many have the mindset that we will attract the younger crowd. But if we are losing people due to the noise volume than that is really sad. I know of people who have left. I feel bad asking people to visit when the music is so loud. There are two guys on the leadership counsel that agree that the music is too loud. I guess they did say something to the music director and it was better on Sunday but for me it is still at the limit.
You are so right that it is insensitive to those that this is hurting. I have had times that my ears have actually hurt afterwords. There are times I want to go elsewhere but I love this body of believers but I will stay and fight Well you know what I mean not really fight but work through the chain of command to try to come to a compromise.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Quote:
Quote:
yhwhshalomjr~you are so right. I did go to the worship director, a gal, and she was not very responsive. There are about 30-50 who are concerned. Our membership is only 150. So it's a big percentage. I think many have the mindset that we will attract the younger crowd. But if we are losing people due to the noise volume than that is really sad. I know of people who have left. I feel bad asking people to visit when the music is so loud. There are two guys on the leadership counsel that agree that the music is too loud. I guess they did say something to the music director and it was better on Sunday but for me it is still at the limit.
You are so right that it is insensitive to those that this is hurting. I have had times that my ears have actually hurt afterwords. There are times I want to go elsewhere but I love this body of believers but I will stay and fight Well you know what I mean not really fight but work through the chain of command to try to come to a compromise.

What is the deal here? can they not find someone else;
Is she aware of usurping authority?
she may need training in the music ministry.
anyone that causes division and disharmony should be rebuked, since she's already been made aware of the music and order of worship, This person sound rebellious;
Sounds like the leadership, did the right thing but they must not compromise
the right thing. for the sake of this musician, and who is she worshiping anyway? Good question (wheat and the tares)
I'm trying not to think the worst in this scenario. But something about this
disagrees with the Holy Spirit.. I mean after all this is a sacred event not "The next American Idol Show", I'm wondering if she's being paid..
Pray for her, that God will convict her heart and open the eyes of her understanding to the true calling in Christ Jesus, and that she accept Christ into her heart.. and for the leaders of your congregation, they have an awesome challenge dealing with those in the ministry, especially those with
the "lone ranger" mentality.. they have been known to sow discord among the brethren. not only in your church but everywhere
This is another thread... Worship Leaders
Will keep you in prayer and your congregation

Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
I attended a church up north that brought in "loud worship music" along with a new pastor.

Luckily, they did that at night in special youth services and kept the morning worship mostly worship.

I'm one who loves to worship... I listen to all genres of music.
But, I went to one of their special youth "worship" services and actually saw grown up people leaving. I also left.
I didn't get anything good from it.. couldn't even hear the words... let alone "entering in to God's presence"

My personal preference in church worship is never singing out of a hymnal.
I do like "contemporary" artists and worship - if the music causes you to think about God or leads into the presence of the Lord.
When it comes to songs in church, I believe that the songs should be songs that everyone can readily enter into as a body.
If it's just loud music --and it offends many -- that is not worship.

What is worship?

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Christianity, worship has been considered by most Christains to be the central act of Christian identity throughout historyas the personal act of lifting one's mind and heart to God. Many Christian theologians have defined humanity as homo adorans, that is, the "worshipping human," and thus the worship of God is at the very core of what it means to be human. The desire for God is written in the human heart, because humans are created by God and for God; and God never ceases to draw humanity to himself.
You have to ask who is being glorified?

IMHO

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-19-2008 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity