U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:53 AM

5,137 posts, read 15,085,755 times

Advertisements

Cause someone else to sin?

Didn't Jesus drink out in the open with sinners?
Drinking was a common thing before and still is today.

Jesus didn't hide from anyone, and He went to a lot of parties.
That is why they called Him a 'wine bibber' and a 'glutton'

Also, I do say misquote as they use Malachi to try to teach that we need to pay 'money' to the Church. I have heard it MANY TIMES in many different churches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I wouldn't say, "misquote" just using the wrong covenant when asking for money. God loves a cheerful giver, He doesn't need your money so if you are guilted into giving then you might as well keep your money.

Tithing is easy. People would love if God told them what they have to give, the new covenant is harder and so much better. It's about your heart. You give what you want. WOW!

Drinking is not a sin in of itself but you drinking can cause someone else to sin or what would a non christian say, if they saw you drinking. How does that affect the gospel through you? It is the perception of sin that the Apostle Paul talks about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,439,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Cause someone else to sin?

Didn't Jesus drink out in the open with sinners?
Drinking was a common thing before and still is today.

Jesus didn't hide from anyone, and He went to a lot of parties.
That is why they called Him a 'wine bibber' and a 'glutton'

Also, I do say misquote as they use Malachi to try to teach that we need to pay 'money' to the Church. I have heard it MANY TIMES in many different churches
Money is needed to further ministries. Paul always collected money.

Alcohol has become a real problem today. Alcohol is destroying lives, families. Why would you drink today in public as a Christian?

Old 11-19-2008, 12:04 PM

1. Paul did not ALWAYS collect money as he wrote that he worked to support his ministry.
2. There's nothing 'new under the sun' so alcoholism has been a problem since people starting drinking.
3. Jesus drank in the open WITH sinners....should I act more holy than Jesus?

Quote:
Money is needed to further ministries. Paul always collected money.

Alcohol has become a real problem today. Alcohol is destroying lives, families. Why would you drink today in public as a Christian?

Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 PM

21,408 posts, read 29,507,157 times
Some people think tithing was just for OT times, but that is not true, Jesus endorsed tithing in the NT in Matthew 23:23. God honors tithing because tithing honors God, if you don't believe this then test Him, after all He said test Me on this. Trust God to keep His promises.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,439,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
1. Paul did not ALWAYS collect money as he wrote that he worked to support his ministry.
2. There's nothing 'new under the sun' so alcoholism has been a problem since people starting drinking.
3. Jesus drank in the open WITH sinners....should I act more holy than Jesus?
Why would you drink in public and if you did as a Christian. You don't see any problem with it?

One pastor said, when you drink, you are just one drink closer to being drunk.

Food, money, car, talent/ gift.....whatever you can give

Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 PM

like i wrote earlier....

Are we supposed to be holier than Jesus?

I haven't got drunk in a very long time...and I drink a beer or wine every other week.

God COMMANDED to drink wine/liquor

I think I'll stick to the bible AND Jesus not what someone said from a pulpit.

Quote:
Why would you drink in public and if you did as a Christian. You don't see any problem with it?

One pastor said, when you drink, you are just one drink closer to being drunk.

Food, money, car, talent/ gift.....whatever you can give

Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,459,691 times
"God COMMANDED to drink wine/liquor:"

Where ????

Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 PM

When God told us how to tithe

26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
"God COMMANDED to drink wine/liquor:"

Where ????

Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,337,348 times
Yes, I do both and let me tell you how much I have seen an increase from tithing. I see tithing as a way to show God that you trust Him with your money, and if you are under a covering of a church, the church does not run on water. It takes money to keep the church up and things to work.

I feel that people are so selfish with their money, when they sit in church everday or when they are at church, eat, rely on the Pastor to give them a word from God, and many other things and not give your tithe to help keep up the building that they sit in every sunday or bible study meetings.

I see my tithe and offering as a seed to help in my church and I love helping. My Pastor is a man of God who works hard, but it is not his responsibility alone to keep things working in the church when it comes down to finances. It is also my responbility to pay my tithe and offering.

I don't worship money, I worship the person that owns the money and God owns everything.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM

298 posts, read 623,737 times
The law behind tithing is not done away with. If you are a Christian you will see money as a tool God has blessed you with. You will be led by the Spirit to give to support the work God is doing through others here on earth, to take care of the poor and needy, and you will celebrate and give thanks to God for your material blessings.

The Sabbath was declared holy by God at creation, prior to the law. God created us to rest after work, and if we are in Him, we cannot deny or contradict what He has declared.

Maybe a better question for the modern church is, if you "tithe" do you also keep the Sabbath?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or