U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:35 PM

852 posts, read 1,175,686 times

Advertisements

Giving from the heart...
Try it...
It feels great...
"tithe"....not because it is required...but because it feels right.
of the heart... attempt to be righteous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,948,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
the tithe was supposed to be given to the levitical every 3 years...not every year.

the purpose of the tithe was NOT to support the ministry

that is not biblical

What you're writing is what you been taught or what you hear

let's read what the Word of God says

22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

23And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
26And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
28At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: 29And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

1. the tithe was supposed to be for FOOD not payment to the electric bill of the church or the pastor's car payment
2. the tithe was supposed to be EATEN BY YOU!
3. every 3 years you were supposed to invite the Levite and others.

This is the Word of God
Are you going to tell me you're better than God's word because you came up with YOUR OWN way of using the tithe?
Please exhale and relax.
It seems to me, that they where to meet some place every three years and that place might be a long journey, so instead of requiring them to come every year God asked them to come every third year and bring the yearly tithes. I don't have a problem with that. But I must read all the other scriptures as well pertaining to the tithes, which is what I have done.
Maybe this will help. A query on "tithe", "tithes" or "tenth" will supply ample enough scripture to help with your bible study.

Genesis 28:20-22
Numbers 18:20-26
Leviticus 27:30-32
2 Chronicles 31:4-21
Nehemiah 10:35-39
Malachi 3:8-12
Hebrews 7:5

God Bless.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:34 PM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Your question is confusing...
I have never known a Ladder Day Saint (LDS) to keep a seventh day Sabbath as prescribed in the bible. All the LDS I know, keep Sunday as their Sabbath and there is a difference. One comes from God (it has been blessed and sanctified) and the other is man derived.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 AM

298 posts, read 625,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
However you would like to figure it. Abraham gave a tithe of his increase, whether it was the spoils of battle or the toils of the husbandry. It was indeed an increase, if he did not have it before, then his net worth increased and he did what was required by God, give a tithe to the high priest. God instructed the Israelites to give a tithe/tenth to the Levitical priesthood. And the purpose of the tithe was to support the ministry. So, until I can find a scriptural reference in the New Testament; a "Thus Saith the LORD" that says otherwise, I will by love and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ continue to give a tithe and an offering to support the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
No, he didn't increase from it at all, he gave the other 90% back to the people the spoils were taken from. That was not his income.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:08 AM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
No, he didn't increase from it at all, he gave the other 90% back to the people the spoils were taken from. That was not his income.
Whichever phraseology you may choose, income or increase he had it in his hands to do as the Holy Spirit lead. The idea here is, that he gave a tithe to the high priest. Now, what he does with other 90% is totally up to him. He was faithful in what he did according to the Holy Ghost. No more no less.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:27 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,125,727 times
again tithes is for 'food' not to pay any bills or to 'support the ministry'.

God was upset in Malachi because people were not eating
He commanded for MEAT to be in the storehouse

Most religious leaders say that means $$$ but that is incorrect

btw it says to lay the feed within THY GATES every 3yrs
It doesnt say to journey....that is a different part

Quote:
Please exhale and relax.
It seems to me, that they where to meet some place every three years and that place might be a long journey, so instead of requiring them to come every year God asked them to come every third year and bring the yearly tithes. I don't have a problem with that. But I must read all the other scriptures as well pertaining to the tithes, which is what I have done.
Maybe this will help. A query on "tithe", "tithes" or "tenth" will supply ample enough scripture to help with your bible study.

Genesis 28:20-22
Numbers 18:20-26
Leviticus 27:30-32
2 Chronicles 31:4-21
Nehemiah 10:35-39
Malachi 3:8-12
Hebrews 7:5

God Bless.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:34 PM

298 posts, read 625,670 times
Quote:
Whichever phraseology you may choose, income or increase he had it in his hands to do as the Holy Spirit lead. The idea here is, that he gave a tithe to the high priest. Now, what he does with other 90% is totally up to him. He was faithful in what he did according to the Holy Ghost. No more no less.
One of three tithes instituted by God under the Mosaic law was set up for the Levitical priesthood because they were not given land like the other tribes were. In all verses related to this tithe, only the proceeds of land were tithed. (This is the tithe that teachers use to try to establish a rule about giving 10% to a church organization. The second tithe was the tithe of feasts and the third was taken up every third year for charity.) Please compare what I say to the Bible in prayer. In other words, don't just take my word for it!

Leviticus 27
30'Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S; it is holy to the LORD.

Numbers 18
20 The LORD said to Aaron, "You will have no inheritance in their land, nor will you have any share among them; I am your share and your inheritance among the Israelites. 21 "I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting. 22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the Tent of Meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the Tent of Meeting and bear the responsibility for offenses against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the LORD. That is why I said concerning them: 'They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.' "

There are some real implications regarding the principles for the tithe that we can apply to what you are incorrectly terming Abraham's "tithe" (in the modern church definition of the term.)

1. Abraham was not giving an increase from the land. This may seem like a minor detail to you, but it's not. Abraham did not receive the spoils of war as an inheritance from God nor as his provision for day to day life from God. Abraham did not give out of what God gave him to live off of. He never did.

Per many sources I have read, if you earned money in a trade, you were not subject to the tithe. (Note that Abraham gave out of spoils of war. Tell me after reading up on the tithe, do you think this would be subject to the tithe if Abraham lived under Mosaic law?)

Generous Giving : Questions about Tithing (http://www.generousgiving.org/page.asp?sec=43&page=589#516 - broken link)

2. Furthermore, Abraham did not give under compulsion from any law or based upon a general rule that he "should" follow but was free not to. There is no indication that God ever told him to give 10% (which is small next to the tithe of 23% total that's given under the law.) If in fact this is the first "tithe" then Abraham isn't even giving as much as he should! Before giving back the other 90% to the owner, he should have kept at least 10% more for the tithe of feasts to foreshadow the tithe under Mosaic law. Then he should perhaps have taken more and distributed it to the poor.

The tithe did not exist before the Levitical priesthood (and the Mosaic law) because the tithe was instituted to support the Levitical priesthood under the Mosaic law and directly corresponded to Israel's inheritance of the promised land.

This story in now way justifies or supports the modern church doctrine that God wants us to give Him 10% from what we make at our trade. In fact, when contrasted with God's Word, doesn't that sound legalistic?

2 Corinthians 9
7Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

There are many verses that illustrate that it is right to give to the poor, to give to support those in ministry, and to give thanks to God as the giver of all things. However, per my review of the Bible, there is no support for a doctrine that says we as modern Christians should take 10% of our income from our trade and give it to a church organization.

If you don't understand the principles behind God's laws in the Old Testament, how then can you look at men's works to judge whether they match up with the God's laws? First we must understand those principles, then we can apply them to the modern Christian life!!

God clearly says we are to study to show ourselves approved unto Him. When we focus on Him and His Word we avoid traps of false doctrine, legality, and ignorant assumptions that draw us away from unity and doing the work of God. When we focus on what God teaches us in His Word, we are free to worship God as He desires us to worship Him.

2 Timothy 2
15Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

I hope this post has given you a lot to think about and study and encourages you to dig in deeper to God's Word.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:40 PM

there was tithing before Moses, and giving to the Levites was for every 3 years as Deut 14 declares

the tithing principle/ideas came from Jacob..not from Abraham since we dont know how Abraham used his tithe. We know it was tenth but dont know in what.

Also, tithing also came from animals
And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
One of three tithes instituted by God under the Mosaic law was set up for the Levitical priesthood because they were not given land like the other tribes were. In all verses related to this tithe, only the proceeds of land were tithed. (This is the tithe that teachers use to try to establish a rule about giving 10% to a church organization. The second tithe was the tithe of feasts and the third was taken up every third year for charity.) Please compare what I say to the Bible in prayer. In other words, don't just take my word for it!

Leviticus 27
30'Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S; it is holy to the LORD.

Numbers 18
20 The LORD said to Aaron, "You will have no inheritance in their land, nor will you have any share among them; I am your share and your inheritance among the Israelites. 21 "I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting. 22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the Tent of Meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the Tent of Meeting and bear the responsibility for offenses against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the LORD. That is why I said concerning them: 'They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.' "

There are some real implications regarding the principles for the tithe that we can apply to what you are incorrectly terming Abraham's "tithe" (in the modern church definition of the term.)

1. Abraham was not giving an increase from the land. This may seem like a minor detail to you, but it's not. Abraham did not receive the spoils of war as an inheritance from God nor as his provision for day to day life from God. Abraham did not give out of what God gave him to live off of. He never did.

Per many sources I have read, if you earned money in a trade, you were not subject to the tithe. (Note that Abraham gave out of spoils of war. Tell me after reading up on the tithe, do you think this would be subject to the tithe if Abraham lived under Mosaic law?)

Generous Giving : Questions about Tithing (http://www.generousgiving.org/page.asp?sec=43&page=589#516 - broken link)

2. Furthermore, Abraham did not give under compulsion from any law or based upon a general rule that he "should" follow but was free not to. There is no indication that God ever told him to give 10% (which is small next to the tithe of 23% total that's given under the law.) If in fact this is the first "tithe" then Abraham isn't even giving as much as he should! Before giving back the other 90% to the owner, he should have kept at least 10% more for the tithe of feasts to foreshadow the tithe under Mosaic law. Then he should perhaps have taken more and distributed it to the poor.

The tithe did not exist before the Levitical priesthood (and the Mosaic law) because the tithe was instituted to support the Levitical priesthood under the Mosaic law and directly corresponded to Israel's inheritance of the promised land.

This story in now way justifies or supports the modern church doctrine that God wants us to give Him 10% from what we make at our trade. In fact, when contrasted with God's Word, doesn't that sound legalistic?

2 Corinthians 9
7Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

There are many verses that illustrate that it is right to give to the poor, to give to support those in ministry, and to give thanks to God as the giver of all things. However, per my review of the Bible, there is no support for a doctrine that says we as modern Christians should take 10% of our income from our trade and give it to a church organization.

If you don't understand the principles behind God's laws in the Old Testament, how then can you look at men's works to judge whether they match up with the God's laws? First we must understand those principles, then we can apply them to the modern Christian life!!

God clearly says we are to study to show ourselves approved unto Him. When we focus on Him and His Word we avoid traps of false doctrine, legality, and ignorant assumptions that draw us away from unity and doing the work of God. When we focus on what God teaches us in His Word, we are free to worship God as He desires us to worship Him.

2 Timothy 2
15Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

I hope this post has given you a lot to think about and study and encourages you to dig in deeper to God's Word.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 PM

you must tithe on ALL INCREASE

17Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy corn, or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of thine hand:
18But thou must eat them before the LORD thy God in the place which the LORD thy God shall choose, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, and thy manservant, and thy maidservant, and the Levite that is within thy gates: and thou shalt rejoice before the LORD thy God in all that thou puttest thine hands unto.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:43 PM

20And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
21So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: 22And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or