U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 AM

3,758 posts, read 7,240,992 times

Advertisements

If you keep the Sabbath, do you also tithe? I would believe one would do both. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 AM

8,989 posts, read 11,899,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
If you keep the Sabbath, do you also tithe? I would believe one would do both. Your thoughts?
The Sabbath and tithing are done away with but we must be cheerful givers (For God loves a cheerful giver) There is an importance and benefit of giving and we Christians always seek to please God.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 11-16-2008 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 AM

13,327 posts, read 20,180,900 times
Personally, I don't think it is necessary to my salvation..IMO, it is a personal decision of ones conscious and I have learned to respect that.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:58 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,392,649 times
I give, just not so much to a church. There is great need all around me and there are times when God impresses on me to give to this one or that one. I am a very cheerful giver, always have been. Not just money either, but other things that seem to fill a need for someone else. Dh says I would give the shirt off my back if I felt someone needed it, and ya know, he is so right! I am happiest when I am able to give.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:03 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,084,545 times
It's all God's money anyway. We give a lot away and we seem to always have more than we need. There is a real joy in giving and I think God planned it that way.
I just heard a story at church this morning. One of the Navigator staff on campus had their car die. They don't have the money right now for another one. Of the the men in my small group loaned them their extra van. The man told me this morning that he just felt he should give them his van. He said it didn't even seem like a big decision. So he took the title over to them and of course they were thrilled. The van was only worth about 8th dollars. Well right after he gave it to them he got a call that someone wants to run a pipeline through part of their property. They said they would give him 1th to do that, but he told them no. They called right back and said, "how about 8th" He said isn't God amazing that right as I give this van away God pays me back. God seems to always make sure we have what we need when we give things away.
Not that we need paid back but I think God does provide as we are cheerful givers. It really is more blessed to give then to receive.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:08 PM

777 posts, read 1,204,472 times
The Sabbath was not done away with – except by Pope Sylvester the First under Constantine’s ordinance that Sunday be the only legal day for worship.
Constantine wanted to unit his empire of Christians and pagans, by putting Christian labels on pagan symbols and observances.

Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Mark 7:7-9

"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:18,19

Now we are to follow the spirit of the Law and not the letter of the Law with all the regulations and requirements needed under the Old Covenant.
The Old Covenant does not bring lasting righteousness – only faith in the righteous blood of the Lamb of God.

But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.
Romans 7:6

I’m more than fully aware that as one who observes the 7th day (I must say – “not SDA”), I’m in a small minority.
In light of Colossians 2:16, I’ll let God decide His own opinion of those who observe Sunday.
As far as I’m concerned, they are my brothers and sisters in Christ.
I only know what I believe and I must follow as I feel led.

As for tithing, it is not mentioned in the New Testament – except in reference to the Old Covenant.
Still we are not released from giving - as the Lord would have us give.
According to the spirit of giving and not the letter of tithing.
As Fundamentalist and others here remind us… A Cheerful Giver.

…Certainly not as a means to get a blessing - as some teach.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,330,114 times
I agree with all of the above; especially with "God loves a cheerful giver".

We are no longer are required (like do it, or else) to live under the OT law (true: millions of Christians try to)....but Christ brought us a freedom (if Jesus has set you free, then you are free indeed!) Are you free? Or are you trying to live under OT law?

However, it doesn't mean we were set free to live as we please....we have been set free from The Law, so that we may live a life pleasing to God...willingly...

So then you are free. Choose today whom you will serve: God....or self....

Bud

Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,330,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post

"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

That's true. Jesus was speaking to those under OT Law.
What did He mean: "until all is accomplished"?

I believe He was referring to what He had been sent to accomplish: his ultimate death and ressurrection, ushering in the New Covenent...

Bud

Old 11-16-2008, 02:30 PM

777 posts, read 1,204,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
That's true. Jesus was speaking to those under OT Law.
What did He mean: "until all is accomplished"?

I believe He was referring to what He had been sent to accomplish: his ultimate death and ressurrection, ushering in the New Covenent...

Bud
Good question.
If we read Matthew 5, we see that Jesus calls us to fulfilling the ten commandments out of motivation of the heart.
Of course, he gave us "additional" commandments about love.

I think this is what God meant when He said He would write the Law on our hearts, and so it pertains to the New Covenant.

"Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt,
My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD.
"But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD,
"I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
Jeremiah 31:31-33

"Untill all is accomplished" being God's kingdom on earth... as it is in heaven.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 PM

20,987 posts, read 28,126,273 times
Yes I do both, I tithe 10%, I believe it honors God just as much today as it did back then. Jesus even mentioned tithing in the New Testament. I agree with blue, it is not requirement for my salvation, but it is honoring God and what He wants us to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity