Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
Well... I was watching Jimmy Swaggart (in the 80s - before any controversy), because the small southern town I was trapped in -
only had 2 a half channels and Sunday mornings had limited choices.
I was half listening to him but mostly thinking of my own situation in life.
The Holy Spirit put a thought in my head.
I though it was my own lightbulb at the time.
"I can't see a perfect God, by looking at imperfect people."

“Conveniently”, Ol’ Jimmy was just getting to the part with the sinner’s prayer thing.
I decided I'd put any "issues" aside and go "all in". I'd find out if God was real and Jesus was real.
If it was not so, I'd be able to figure it out - even eventually.

Well... He flooded me. I've had no doubt of the reality of God or the mercy extended through the righteousness of Christ, since.

The flooding was "nice" (to say the least), but that's not what I value.
It's the knowing that I know: Jesus is real - which means the most to me.
Excellent! Thank you so much for sharing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 01:58 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Ultimately it was your pride just like the rest of us.
It was my pride, but I felt genuinely unwelcome as a displaced yankee in a small southern town.
A town whose people were still fighting the civil war in their minds.

The Bible thumping I saw, came from people who were intolerant of me as a person.
The backbiting and gossip I witnessed showed me that they were not people I wanted to follow or emulate.
It was a real stumbling block that only the Holy Spirit could overcome.
Quote:
I agree with you somewhat. What did Paul do?
Well... To the Greeks in Athens, he reasoned with them and even played to their pride a bit as an open and inquiring people. (Acts 17)

In the letter to the Corinthians, Paul wrote this;
To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law,
as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;
to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ,
so that I might win those who are without law.
To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.
I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.
1Corinthians 9:20-23

He did confront people at times, but it was not his first appoach to the unsaved he was seeking to reach.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:14 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Purpose for spouting my beliefs is not always about religion and saving the lost.
Ok.. but when it is.. how do you portray your beliefs. How do you go about spreading your beliefs?

Quote:
It's my family, my way of life which I have just as much right to defend.
Nobody is saying you don't. My guess its most people could care less how YOU live your life. They are much more concerned with how YOU want others to live THEIR life.

Quote:
Why is it just because I am a Christian that these rights I want are intolerant and bigoted?
Those are the definition of the terms. I don't know what to tell you.

www.dictionary.com

[SIZE=5]in⋅tol⋅er⋅ant[/SIZE]/ɪnˈtɒlərənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-tol-er-uhnt] Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1.not tolerating or respecting beliefs, opinions, usages, manners, etc., different from one's own, as in political or religious matters; bigoted.

It is.. what it is. Thats just .. language. Because you don't agree with the definition doesn't make the definition less right.

I'm quite certain nobody here cares what you do in your own life. Practice as you see fit. The problem ultimately comes when somebody tries to change law to make somebody else do something against their will. If I did that or you or anybody else for that matter..

Quote:
I beg to differ, what do you think happens when you tell children, you basically are not responsible nor how can you be held responsible if you come from primordial ooze, that you are no different than animals.
By that statement you have no idea what evolution is. You are referring to abiogenesis which has nothing to do with "evolution". Again.. this is a reason why evolution should be taught so people know what they are talking about. I have no problem discussing whether or not evolution should be taught in school.. but not in this thread.

Quote:
Do you honestly think it's a coincidence that since the introduction of evolution, secularism, liberalism schools have become worse? from teen pregnancy to illiteracy?
Start a thread on it. I prefer not to hijack this one.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
We have to subject our children to this calamity day after day. How is that fair for us Christians?, who are the ones being bombarded and thumped?
We fight for Christianity because we see it as the truth, the best thing for our society and us individuals just like gays, atheist etc... fight for their own. We Christians have been unfairly singled out but what's new. We always expected this
As you shared, Fundamentalist, if they hated Jesus, they will hate his followers also. Many believers went into hiding during a times in history. But the gates of Hades will not prevail against the church of the Lord. Most of Paul's "agressiveness" seemed to be directed towards religious people, either those religious leaders who were enemies of the gospel or those believers having issues with sinful behavior. I agree that he was not confrontational with unbelievers . 2 Timothy 2:24-26 and Titus 3:1-3 to me speak to the attitude that we should have. God bless.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
For starters, I believe......that doing good for others, especially those in need, is a form of preaching the Word. That being kind to others is a form of preaching the Word. That accepting people for who they are is Christ-like. The importance of never forgetting that every Christian is at a different stage in his Christian understanding and to expect all to believe exactly as you is like expecting an infant to have the knowledge and wisdom of a 90 year old. I embrace the idea of realizing that everyone on this earth is on their own personal mission, if you will, and will--if ever--come to know God in their own way, in their own time through their own set of circumstances; that no man can walk in your footsteps in your life's path at the exact same time as you or presume to know your heart or relationship with God. And I believe you attract more people by embracing them gently rather than tackling them. And, finally, I believe in prayer--that you can make more changes and have more success through the power of prayer than you ever could by thumping or dragging people to your way of thinking. If doing as Jesus told us is the greatest commandment of all, Love your neighbor, wouldn't that be more fruitful in bringing people to ask you where does your joy, your strength, your out-look come from so you can then share the source of your faith?

Here are my concerns as a Christian; why do we, as Christians, feel the need to flog people with our beliefs and doesn't anyone see that we're doing more to turn people away from God than win them with this behavior? I know, we're not supposed to look to man regarding God, but it's human nature and it's going to happen. So why not emulate him rather than try to drag people to him? Aren't we just hurting our cause? God's cause?
Thank you. You are one Christian who has earned my respect.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Purpose for spouting my beliefs is not always about religion and saving the lost. It's my family, my way of life which I have just as much right to defend. Why is it just because I am a Christian that these rights I want are intolerant and bigoted?

I beg to differ, what do you think happens when you tell children, you basically are not responsible nor how can you be held responsible if you come from primordial ooze, that you are no different than animals.

Do you honestly think it's a coincidence that since the introduction of evolution, secularism, liberalism schools have become worse? from teen pregnancy to illiteracy?
Yeah, just like how Sarah Palin believes in all Christian things and her daughter ended up with a teen pregnancy!!!!

Liberalism ALL THE WAY!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:19 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
You win some in love and win some by fear, pulling them out of the pit of hell. Just pull them and let the Holy Spirit do the rest. TIME IS SHORT!!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

As you shared, Fundamentalist, if they hated Jesus, they will hate his followers also.

June has a sincere question: Is that what Jesus meant!?

Yikes.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Yes, I believe so June. This what He said to His disciples

John 15
18"If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you.
19"If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you.
20"Remember the word that I said to you, 'A slave is not greater than his master ' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also.
21"But all these things they will do to you for My name's sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me.
22"If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23"He who hates Me hates My Father also

God bless.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:02 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Yes, I believe so June. This what He said to His disciples

John 15
18"If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you.
19"If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you.
20"Remember the word that I said to you, 'A slave is not greater than his master ' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also.
21"But all these things they will do to you for My name's sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me.
22"If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23"He who hates Me hates My Father also

God bless.
God bless you. Wonderfully said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity