Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me where is the scripture that says we are to " ask Jesus into our heart" ? This seems to be a popular thing to tell people who may be seeking for His will. Is this supposed to cancel out the scriptures that tell us to search the scriptures? Is it meant to cancel out the obeying of the gospel?

Since there is hardly a person who does not have access to the Bible, why do they need to pray this prayer? Why can't they find Jesus in the holy scriptures, and come to believe in Him and obey Him?

Maybe this is someone's version of " Seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you."

It seems there are all sorts of witty little sayings that have no biblical basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
I thought we already had this discussion.

Would it make you happier if we said "ask Jesus into your life"? What difference does it make? The heart is WAY more than just an organ, it has special significance, and it is mentioned hundreds of times in the Bible.

Imo, it's connected to our souls somehow. God knows our HEARTS and what is in them. That's EXACTLY where Jesus needs to be!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:59 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
We did DOTL, and you have a beautiful answer, as far Scripture to back this up, here ya go.....
Romans 10:8 "Salvation that comes from trusting Christ, which is the message we preach, is already within easy reach. In fact, the Scriptures say, the message is close at hand, it is on your lips and in your heart".

Colossians 3:15 "And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are all called to live in peace. And always be thankful".

Old 11-21-2008, 09:20 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We did DOTL, and you have a beautiful answer, as far Scripture to back this up, here ya go.....
Romans 10:8 "Salvation that comes from trusting Christ, which is the message we preach, is already within easy reach. In fact, the Scriptures say, the message is close at hand, it is on your lips and in your heart".

Colossians 3:15 "And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are all called to live in peace. And always be thankful".
Great scriptures, ILNC!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times
I'm new here, and i am struggling with things right now..but i wanted to give my opinion if i may..
Anyone can read scriptures, some read it like its a story book, some study, some reflect, some read and re-read, but for me, it wasnt until i asked GOD to open my heart and asked him in that things changed for me. More hunger for understanding the Bible. More understanding and learning and growing. Yes, i question my faith sometimes, and im learning every day. If i wouldnt have questioned my faith, and posted here, i wouldnt have received the insight of some awesome people, and pushed me closer to the Bible. Thanks to all of you !!! So the saying "asking Jesus into your heart" is a great statement.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Can someone please tell me where is the scripture that says we are to " ask Jesus into our heart" ? This seems to be a popular thing to tell people who may be seeking for His will. Is this supposed to cancel out the scriptures that tell us to search the scriptures? Is it meant to cancel out the obeying of the gospel?

Since there is hardly a person who does not have access to the Bible, why do they need to pray this prayer? Why can't they find Jesus in the holy scriptures, and come to believe in Him and obey Him?

Maybe this is someone's version of " Seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you."

It seems there are all sorts of witty little sayings that have no biblical basis.
Absolutely true! This is man made, no scriptural support whatsoever. I mean why can't you ask Him into your liver or foot?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times
as long as you ask him in.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Also..

I'd like to know where in the bible it tells us not to say "ask Jesus into your heart"

or where it tell us to not drive a car
or to not post on city-data
or to not stop at stop signs
or to not eat pizza
or to not sit in a chair

the bible doesn't reference many things.. thus rendering many things non scriptural

yet.. we still do them. weird.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Also..

I'd like to know where in the bible it tells us not to say "ask Jesus into your heart"

or where it tell us to not drive a car
or to not post on city-data
or to not stop at stop signs
or to not eat pizza
or to not sit in a chair

the bible doesn't reference many things.. thus rendering many things non scriptural

yet.. we still do them. weird.
The problem is when you go to California and listen to people who are definitely not Christians, when you try to witness to them, they say, Oh! I am already a Christian because "I asked Jesus into my heart" (One of the biggest man made mistakes in modern Christianity)

wah...wah...wah...wah

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 11-21-2008 at 10:46 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
The problem is when you go to California and listen to people who are definitely not Christians, when you try to witness to them, they say, Oh! I am already a Christian because "I asked Jesus into my heart" (One of the biggest man made mistakes in Christianity)

wah...wah...wah...wah
My apologies. I didn't realize the widespread epidemic that was occuring.

Certainly since its one of the biggest man made mistakes in Christianity (you're off the hook slavery and crusades).. surely there is a news article or something relating to this. Would you care to share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity