Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times

Advertisements

so you think the 10 commandments is the only part of the bible you will follow?

and of course Matthew, Mark, Luke and John....well until you find something you dont like about it.

I would advise that you learn Jewish History as throughout ages as the women submitted to their husband.

Paul wasn't teaching anything new

You have a problem with it because of personal reasons which have nothing to do with the Word of God.

I conform my ways to the Word of God. I dont conform the Word of God to my ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This hierarchy was created by man. I believe Paul is the author of that. I find nothing about Jesus professing such a hierarchy in the bible nor is it even in the 10 commandments. Much pain and suffering has resulted from this hierarchy making it border on anarchy. Here is but one expample of this.

Grounds for Divorce - Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) (http://www.wels.net/cgi-bin/site.pl?process&procID=1518&cuQA_qaID=1&cuTopic_to picID=33&cuItem_itemID=9303 - broken link)

Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
the husband is the head of his wife
And....what does that have to do with declaring yourself a high priest?

I'll go back to my original statement AGAIN, God wasn't talking to you when it says in the Bible 'Wives, submit to your husbands.' and you are overstepping when you declare yourself a high priest and take on the role of teaching your wife submission. God will teach her and that should be good enough for you. She (nor any other woman) needs a man to act in the role of a priest....there is no such role in the NT as applies to man and wife or anyone else. We all stand before God ourselves.

You might not like how my husband and I have worked out submission or how your neighbors have or how anyone else might have and it's not for you to say whether any other woman is submissive enough or whether any other man is properly taking on the role of head of the household or whether you like their interpretation of scripture. It's not your business, it is between them and God.

As to the original question, yes, I do submit to my husband but, for what it's worth, I doubt I pass muster with Reniq. That's not a problem for me, or my husband or God. If/when it is, God will deal with me directly on the issue.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:04 AM

and what does 'head' mean then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
And....what does that have to do with declaring yourself a high priest?

I'll go back to my original statement AGAIN, God wasn't talking to you when it says in the Bible 'Wives, submit to your husbands.' and you are overstepping when you declare yourself a high priest and take on the role of teaching your wife submission. God will teach her and that should be good enough for you. She (nor any other woman) needs a man to act in the role of a priest....there is no such role in the NT as applies to man and wife or anyone else. We all stand before God ourselves.

You might not like how my husband and I have worked out submission or how your neighbors have or how anyone else might have and it's not for you to say whether any other woman is submissive enough or whether any other man is properly taking on the role of head of the household or whether you like their interpretation of scripture. It's not your business, it is between them and God.

As to the original question, yes, I do submit to my husband but, for what it's worth, I doubt I pass muster with Reniq. That's not a problem for me, , or my husband or God. If/when it is, God will deal with me directly on the issue.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:09 AM

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church

You state that a man should not instruct his wife yet what do you suppose it means when he NOURISHETH it ....even as the LORD does with the Church?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
and what does 'head' mean then?
Answer the question yourself. IMO, it is open to interpretation between a husband and wife. It isn't exactly defined in the Bible. Exactly how headship is defined and executed would be different in each relationship. We've covered this before, you just weren't listening then either.

If it meant priest it would say priest but to the contrary, the role of priest was ABOLISHED in the NT.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM

113 posts, read 175,212 times
Thumbs down Days of Our Lives Episode # 1,243,659,964

Do any of you remember about, oh I'd say, 15 years ago, when The Southern Baptist Convention determined, by majority male vote, that a Baptist woman should rightfully be totally submissive to her husband? My good friend, who had been raised a Baptist, had successfully talked her very chauvenistic hubby into joining her Church (he'd been "lost" and unsaved before that, BTW). He joined and became quite involved.

My friend also said her hubby had been sort of demanding about sex, and insisted that she take a very submissive and obedient role to properly satisfy him. He also said that such submission would, in the end, make their marriage stronger, and that she would grow to love her submissive role. She didn't like it, understandably, and their sex life dwindled.

When this vote was announced, he was very impatient to call up and talk to his local minister as well as his bible study group. After he talked to that minister, who had also called the National Southern Baptist administrative offices for a specific answer, he proudly came strutting in to the room (I was there for dinner. She'd asked me over on the spur of the moment and I remember wondering why...).

He could hardly contain himself as he "told" his now obviously concerned wife that the Church, her church, the one she'd insisted he join, had officially confirmed that she was to be totally submissive to him from now on. He'd even talked about her with their minister, he said, again, proudly. "This includes being sexually submissive!" he proclaimed loudly. "It helps the head of the household to have a clear and satisfied mind!"

Then he whispered to me with a grin, when his wife was out of the room, that "Right after we finish with dinner, perhaps you could go home a little early? My wife and I have some catching up to do". All during dinner he leered at her.

Disgusting? Biblically correct? Ethical? I know that the prophets and biblical authors of our bible were, of course, quite the chauvinists. It was the norm in those days. But this? Too much for me. I kind of lost my appetite for dinner. I know she's cried herself to sleep many nights since then, but at least he's happy, right?

Another part of why I've drifted so far from being a Christian.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Interesting

Please cite your sources where it was 'abolished' and there are no longer priests today

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Answer the question yourself. IMO, it is open to interpretation between a husband and wife. It isn't exactly defined in the Bible. Exactly how headship is defined and executed would be different in each relationship. We've covered this before, you just weren't listening then either.

If it meant priest it would say priest but to the contrary, the role of priest was ABOLISHED in the NT.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM

that is sick but what is even worse is that you will break your relationship with God because of what others do

My relationship with God has nothing to do with how other "Christians" act or how the 'Church' acts

My faith in Christ is with Him only, and not my wife, children, neighbor, pastor, deacon, or other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotful1 View Post
Do any of you remember about, oh I'd say, 15 years ago, when The Southern Baptist Convention determined, by majority male vote, that a Baptist woman should rightfully be totally submissive to her husband? My good friend, who had been raised a Baptist, had successfully talked her very chauvenistic hubby into joining her Church (he'd been "lost" and unsaved before that, BTW). He joined and became quite involved.

My friend also said her hubby had been sort of demanding about sex, and insisted that she take a very submissive and obedient role to properly satisfy him. He also said that such submission would, in the end, make their marriage stronger, and that she would grow to love her submissive role. She didn't like it, understandably, and their sex life dwindled.

When this vote was announced, he was very impatient to call up and talk to his local minister as well as his bible study group. After he talked to that minister, who had also called the National Southern Baptist administrative offices for a specific answer, he proudly came strutting in to the room (I was there for dinner. She'd asked me over on the spur of the moment and I remember wondering why...).

He could hardly contain himself as he "told" his now obviously concerned wife that the Church, her church, the one she'd insisted he join, had officially confirmed that she was to be totally submissive to him from now on. He'd even talked about her with their minister, he said, again, proudly. "This includes being sexually submissive!" he proclaimed loudly. "It helps the head of the household to have a clear and satisfied mind!"

Then he whispered to me with a grin, when his wife was out of the room, that "Right after we finish with dinner, perhaps you could go home a little early? My wife and I have some catching up to do". All during dinner he leered at her.

Disgusting? Biblically correct? Ethical? I know that the prophets and biblical authors of our bible were, of course, quite the chauvinists. It was the norm in those days. But this? Too much for me. I kind of lost my appetite for dinner. I know she's cried herself to sleep many nights since then, but at least he's happy, right?

Another part of why I've drifted so far from being a Christian.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Interesting

Please cite your sources where it was 'abolished' and there are no longer priests today
I did already and I'm growing wearing of repeating myself. Go back and find the NT verses I posted.

While you're at it, why don't you find and post the verses where the husband is priest of the home, and that we still do have priests at all.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church

You state that a man should not instruct his wife yet what do you suppose it means when he NOURISHETH it ....even as the LORD does with the Church?
To nourish it to cultivate... to provide the necessary ingredients for growth. Think of it like this... must the sower (man) tell the seed (woman) what to do? of course not, the seed already knows, and telling it would do zippo... nada... nothing, God in fact has already given the seed all that's necessary, by HIS design. So our part as sowers (men) becomes the cultivator--- and all that is implied. Is the sower in charge? or responsible? and how do you know the sower has done his job?

Look at the fruit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity