Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,563,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Make false acusations about other's faith?
What accusations would those be? No, we're not supposed to ever state anything 'false'...that's lying.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:53 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,849,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
What accusations would those be? No, we're not supposed to ever state anything 'false'...that's lying.
I know you only have the truth and most enlighten the rest of the world

Old 12-18-2008, 04:54 PM

Do you not claim to be the only true believers?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 PM

or has that changed?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 PM

do you have to call up an elder for the answer?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,396,664 times
I remember about 10 years ago, I would get in some very interesting and heated debates with JWs. Thank God, he whipped me for being in the flesh and revealed to me that no Christian needs to argue nor debate the Word of God, especially when the word of God clearly says in 2 Timothy 3:14-16

You know who taught you 3:15 and how from infancy you have known the holy writings, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 3:16 Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

The key here is that Paul isn't telling Timothy to debate or argue Scripture with anyone. He wants us to stand corrected when we are in error in regard to Scripture, and yet teach Scripture in its proper context to others who need it.

I know a few months ago Alicenevada and I had a very good exchange of words through our posts on who Jesus Christ is and whether or not he's literally God's firstborn. Alice eloquently told me that my reasoning was off after I stated my position as logically and as clear as the Lord has blessed me to do for her or anyone, and so I basically felt the same about her reasoning or inability to see why the Scriptures in its context in Colossians Chapter 1 aren't literally teaching that Jesus is God's firstborn created son, and figured we both can agree to disagree.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink it. Or you can lead a person to the Truth, but you can't make them accept it. How true.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I know you only have the truth and most enlighten the rest of the world
Hmmm, I don't recall having said that. Witnesses do not feel they are the only saved ones. Common misconception, for some reason.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
do you have to call up an elder for the answer?
Ouch, that was a bit insulting. I had to leave off working. I should have said goodbye...so sorry. No, we do not feel we are the only saved ones at all. That is backed up on the Watchtower.org website if you'd like to see that isnt just MY opinion.

"Do they believe that they are the only ones who will be saved?
No. Millions that have lived in centuries past and who were not Jehovah's Witnesses will come back in a resurrection and have an opportunity for life. Many now living may yet take a stand for truth and righteousness before the "great tribulation," and they will gain salvation. Moreover, Jesus said that we should not be judging one another. We look at the outward appearance; God looks at the heart. He sees accurately and judges mercifully. He has committed judgment into Jesus' hands, not ours"

However, even if we did feel we were the only saved ones-why would that make us unchristian exactly? It seems to be the general opinion of fundamental christians in these parts that only someone who accepts christ receives salvation and that those of any other religion are damned. And no one seems to doubt the Baptist, Catholic, Pentecostal, or Lutheran's claim to Christianity.

Last edited by alicenevada; 12-19-2008 at 07:02 AM..

Old 12-19-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I remember about 10 years ago, I would get in some very interesting and heated debates with JWs. Thank God, he whipped me for being in the flesh and revealed to me that no Christian needs to argue nor debate the Word of God, especially when the word of God clearly says in 2 Timothy 3:14-16

You know who taught you 3:15 and how from infancy you have known the holy writings, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 3:16 Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

The key here is that Paul isn't telling Timothy to debate or argue Scripture with anyone. He wants us to stand corrected when we are in error in regard to Scripture, and yet teach Scripture in its proper context to others who need it.

I know a few months ago Alicenevada and I had a very good exchange of words through our posts on who Jesus Christ is and whether or not he's literally God's firstborn. Alice eloquently told me that my reasoning was off after I stated my position as logically and as clear as the Lord has blessed me to do for her or anyone, and so I basically felt the same about her reasoning or inability to see why the Scriptures in its context in Colossians Chapter 1 aren't literally teaching that Jesus is God's firstborn created son, and figured we both can agree to disagree.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink it. Or you can lead a person to the Truth, but you can't make them accept it. How true.

If the Witnesses who visited your home debated with you, they lost sight of their purpose for visiting. They aren't supposed to debate, simply to find those who are interested in studying the bible. I am sorry if you felt our conversation was a debate. Yes, I'm certain Christ had a beginning. I feel that your reasoning was a bit confusing and didnt really gel with me. I don't feel that is God's way. However, if it makes you more confident in your beliefs, I strongly feel you will be blessed for your zeal. I'd never dream of trying to 'make' you accept anything at all.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:49 AM

706 posts, read 1,237,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post

"Do they believe that they are the only ones who will be saved?
No. Millions that have lived in centuries past and who were not Jehovah's Witnesses will come back in a resurrection and have an opportunity for life. Many now living may yet take a stand for truth and righteousness before the "great tribulation," and they will gain salvation..
Basically what this boils down to is that most people who have already died, before Armageddon comes, will be resurrected. Those who are not Jehovah's Witnesses will likely be destroyed by God. So yes Jehovah's Witnesses do believe only they will survive Armageddon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity