Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
One day a couple of JW's came over my house and talked about the end of the world using Bible passages. Any denomination who emphasizes discussions on armegeddan is a "joy sucking" religion. God is Joy and Love. "Joy sucking" is anti-God.

My wife's mother's siblings, all ten of them, were all baptized Catholic. The youngest boy became depressed at a point in his life, was stalked by some JW's, and of course, snared him. That's what JW's do, prey on the weak. At his 82 year old mother's deathbed, he told her to repent and become a JW because she was going to hell. That women was one of the nicest women I had ever met. Never said a bad thing about anyone. Went to Mass EVERY DAY! ...and she was going to hell? The son disturbed her, not because she thought she was going to hell, but because she knew how lost he had become.

Needless to say that one son is kind of an outcast that has very little communication with the rest of his family.

Merry Christmas to all you JW's out there!

You don't feel the subject of Armageddon to be an important one? That's fine. But we hardly use that as a topic all the time. When we are offering magazines, for instance, we usually discuss the topic on the current Watchtower or Awake. Sometimes it's Armageddon, sometimes it's Paradise, sometimes it's Jesus' sacrifice (like this month), sometimes it's global warming. And we're a very joyful people, actually.

I don't know anyone who talks about Armageddon each and every time they speak to someone. Interestingly, the ones who usually harp on 'doomsday messages' are the other Christian Churches in our area. I received a flyer on my windshield from a local Pentecostal church in our area last week...very scary stuff indeed. We usually promote a message of hope and peace.

And as I told lovethetruth earlier, if we were to base our opinions of an entire faith on one over-zealous outspoken person-how beneficial would that be? Those people exist in every single organization on earth, religious or otherwise, don't they?

Oh, and thank you for your holiday wishes. But we don't celebrate Christmas...or did you know that? Hey, were you being cheeky?

Last edited by alicenevada; 12-19-2008 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-19-2008, 10:31 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,656 times
Alice, although I do not subscribe to the JW doctrine, I certainly appreciate your tenacity!!! You are a stronger, calmer person than I !!!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
You are a stronger, calmer person than I !!!
I doubt that.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
I doubt that.
Well, at least calmer.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:03 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,145 times
Quote:
That's what JW's do, prey on the weak.
Juj, this comment didn't sit right with me when I read it. Having been on both sides as someone hearing the message and as someone eager to share the message in the Bible, I think your comment is a little inaccurate. Perhaps your cousin was "weak", but I am not weak and nor do I prey on the weak. In fact, to take the stand that JW's take you have to be pretty strong.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:27 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,404 times
Does God have a visible organization on earth?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
Does God have a visible organization on earth?
I believe so. Don't you? Christ taught that there would be.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 AM

No I don't believe God has a visible organization on earth, I do believe in the body of Christ. Well anyway, what is his visible organization?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
No I don't believe God has a visible organization on earth, I do believe in the body of Christ. Well anyway, what is his visible organization?
You don't agree that the Christian Congregation is a visible organization? I guess I don't see how you could view it any other way. Most churches definitely seem to make a concerted effort to be visible. And since those churches are filed with physical beings who congregate...wouldnt that qualify as a visible organization?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:54 AM

But there is no official Christian organization, just the body of Christ. But technically speaking, yes my church could be considered a visible organization, but it is not God's only visible organization.

Do you believe your religion is God's visible organization?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity