Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:58 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
If it's taught in the bible, it shouldnt be THAT difficult to understand. Debated for 1700 years? WHY? Doesnt that seem very incompatible with a God who is 'not one of disorder, but of peace?'
You tell me. You're the restorationist.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Ive never thought of them as either christian or non-christian.

More as an annoyance when they come knocking on my front door and wont go away.
Acts 20:20-'while I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.'

Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
You tell me. You're the restorationist.
Haha. Nice save.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Default reasoning...

Quote:
That is kind of a mean thing to say. I personally do not enter these threads with the intention of starting a debate. I like to make our beliefs clear and that usually turns into more, unfortunately. If the OP wanted to debate, surely they would not have left the conversation?

You seem to enjoy debates quite a bit as well, WorldCitizen.

Just a thought.
No ma'am. I do not enjoy debates.

If you really study that out,... (I know you like to study).... I think you'll discover that I generally find myself in the middle of debates and personally attacked when I try to STOP ongoing debates....

It is annoying to many people. And, whether or not the JW's believe it.... it's not the way souls are won.

and, again...

I really don't understand why this thread is on the Christian forum. It's more a debate for the Religion and Philosophy forum... IMHO....

Maybe they should start a new subforum for Jehovah's Witnesses.... then all of the people who want to learn about JW doctrines and history can go there.
And, then the ones who want to debate with you about your beliefs could engage in endless debates...

just a thought

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-30-2008 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 12:14 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
so basically Charles Russell got it wrong so today they have created their own version basically overruling Russell's choice

Quote:
Then you believe wrong. Jehovah's Witnesses prior to 1950 used the King James Version almost exclusively. Since then, we enjoy our modern english translation but realize that many people are hesitant to use it since it is published by The Wathchtower Society. Therefore, and as I've mentioned on several occasions, we use many different versions of the bible in our ministry and are happy to offer references outside of our organization when need be. I love my spiritual library however and all the Watchtower publications I have are dear to my heart.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:18 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
what is the JW view on satan and/or the devil?

do they believe satan/devil is a god?
do they believe they are the same person?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:30 PM

594 posts, read 1,044,118 times
Quote:
Haha. Nice save.
Seriously. If the Bible is so easy to understand, and if God is "not one of disorder, but of peace," why did he allow Christians to wallow in the darkness of their ignorance for 1800 years before sending the JWs to bring the light? How were so many Christians so misguided for so long? Seems like a God of disorder to me.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
so basically Charles Russell got it wrong so today they have created their own version basically overruling Russell's choice
??? What are you talking about? When did I say the King James bible was wrong OR that it was Rusell's choice? It was simply the most widely used bible up until that time and the only one people would accept. There are many modern english translations today however, of which ours is one. I think people consistently misinterpret what Russell is to us as an organization. He was simply a man, not a prophet, who made mistakes and errors in judgment just as all of us to. However, he was earnest enough in his effort to preach the Kingdom message to finance what later became our legal organization. That's it.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
what is the JW view on satan and/or the devil?

do they believe satan/devil is a god?
do they believe they are the same person?

Satan was an angel...some people in the bible referred to angels as 'gods' and indeed, the bible refers to him as 'the god of this system of things'. Yes, he is the devil.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Seriously. If the Bible is so easy to understand, and if God is "not one of disorder, but of peace," why did he allow Christians to wallow in the darkness of their ignorance for 1800 years before sending the JWs to bring the light? How were so many Christians so misguided for so long? Seems like a God of disorder to me.

I don't believe people wallowed in the darkness of their ignorance. I believe that many people had it 'right' until the Witnesses joined together but they didnt know where to go, under oppression as they were. People were burned at the stake, tortured, banished from their homes simply for reading a bible for a while there.

Remember, the bible foretold that there would be those whose sole purpose was to 'mislead many'. That the true christians would be delivered up to tribulation and killed. None of this has anything to do with good news of God's word however, which is faultless and peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity