Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
JW's hold the spirit of the antichrist

They dont believe that Jesus is God......but believe Jesus to be the Archangel Michael.

that is not christianity.
Christianity has it`s own problems with scripture. They are the last ones to be judging anyone`s truth or salvation.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,393 times
Both JW and Mormons are considered cults. Mormons are part of the Mason cult. They actually wear special undergarments with dedicated Mason symbols. I really doubt very many of them know and understand the spirit behind the cults they follow. Most are simply in bondage.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
Christianity doesn't judge truth or salvation....

the Word of God does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Christianity has it`s own problems with scripture. They are the last ones to be judging anyone`s truth or salvation.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
QUOTE=HotinAZ;6610388]and not to sound antagonizing, but could you explain to the audience why you feel you are one, and why the others don't?[/quote]

The others who? Other Jehovah's Witnesses? All of us feel we are Christians. Christian (per most definitions of the term) means :

adj.
1.Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2.Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
3.Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
4.Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
5.Showing a loving concern for others; humane.
n.
1.One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2.One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

Of course, 'Cult' is described as an organization or group of adherents that follow the same group of beliefs in some dictionaries. So if that is the case, then I guess anyone who belongs to organized religion is a 'cult'. So I'm fine with either term I guess.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:14 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
QUOTE=HotinAZ;6610388]and not to sound antagonizing, but could you explain to the audience why you feel you are one, and why the others don't?
The others who? Other Jehovah's Witnesses? All of us feel we are Christians. Christian (per most definitions of the term) means :

adj.
1.Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2.Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
3.Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
4.Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
5.Showing a loving concern for others; humane.
n.
1.One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2.One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

Of course, 'Cult' is described as an organization or group of adherents that follow the same group of beliefs in some dictionaries. So if that is the case, then I guess anyone who belongs to organized religion is a 'cult'. So I'm fine with either term I guess.[/quote]

Alice, I love you, and I love my brother and his wife who are JW's, but I do not subscribe to the JW teachings. Unless they have revized them, they are not according to the Holy Scriptures.
I can never forget my brother, (speaking about our dear mother), saying she had "wasted her time " by being baptized, since it was not as a JW!!!!!
I have read a lot of the JW's teachings, and , as I said, there are too many things they teach that are contrary to the word of God.

I will discuss this, from my front door, to the ladies that frequently come to our house. We remain friendly, but they know where I stand.
BTW, thay have ceased attempting to sell me their Watchtower publications, espacially since they refused to accept my free literature.

I have read those publications, and they are totally contrary to the word of God! I really question a group that has a headquarters that dictates what they study, each time they meet...or has that now changed??

The funny thing is: my brother studied the Bible a lot, and used a concordance (I think Cruden's), and yet still believed the JW's.

Another thing...years ago my husband and I knocked doors in Northern Idaho, inviting the inhabitants to a meeting that the church was holding there. The JW's were amongst the rudest of the ones answering their doors! It seems that people that make a practice of knocking doors, would be kinder towards others doing that.
The other rude ones were the numerous LDS....more 'door knockers' , but that is another thread!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,710 times
So basically they only believe something if their watchtower teaches it, if the watchtower ever changes its mind then they do too.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Alice, I love you, and I love my brother and his wife who are JW's, but I do not subscribe to the JW teachings. Unless they have revized them, they are not according to the Holy Scriptures.
I can never forget my brother, (speaking about our dear mother), saying she had "wasted her time " by being baptized, since it was not as a JW!!!!!
I have read a lot of the JW's teachings, and , as I said, there are too many things they teach that are contrary to the word of God.

I will discuss this, from my front door, to the ladies that frequently come to our house. We remain friendly, but they know where I stand.
BTW, thay have ceased attempting to sell me their Watchtower publications, espacially since they refused to accept my free literature.

I have read those publications, and they are totally contrary to the word of God! I really question a group that has a headquarters that dictates what they study, each time they meet...or has that now changed??

The funny thing is: my brother studied the Bible a lot, and used a concordance (I think Cruden's), and yet still believed the JW's.

Another thing...years ago my husband and I knocked doors in Northern Idaho, inviting the inhabitants to a meeting that the church was holding there. The JW's were amongst the rudest of the ones answering their doors! It seems that people that make a practice of knocking doors, would be kinder towards others doing that.
The other rude ones were the numerous LDS....more 'door knockers' , but that is another thread!
Remember that just because someone who declares themselves a Jehovah's Witnesses makes an unkind, it doesnt mean that everyone who belongs to the organization subscribes to that belief. Many times, personal feelings crowd out what we know from our study of the bible. We all 'sin and fall short of the glory of God', right?

If I found one thing contrary to the word of God in the beliefs I hold dear, I would abandon that belief. As of yet, I have not. I am a Jehovah's Witness BECAUSE I believe the way I do. Not the other way around, as I've said many times. So if you can show me ONE thing that is contrary to the word of God in the Watchtower or any other of our bible based publications, I would feel responsible to address that issue and see whether I agree. I've been doing this my whole life and I can confidently say, it is because of this 'testing out the inspired expressions' that I am still one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

As far as being 'rude' goes, remember you're talking to humans. Not 'Stepford Wives'. We aren't programmed to be perfect so we each have our own little foibles we must overcome. I like to think I am polite when Mormons or anyone else comes to my door. I'm sure everyone in my congregation would say the same.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:26 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
So basically they only believe something if their watchtower teaches it, if the watchtower ever changes its mind then they do too.
YUP! and they will defend it by saying, "the light is getting brighter"

Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
That would be brainwashing, so no.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
YUP! and they will defend it by saying, "the light is getting brighter"

Thank you for quoting scripture for me. Do you disagree with that statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity