Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 AM

63 posts, read 213,283 times

Advertisements

In my country, the Jehovah's witnesses (I heard) would put "Christian" as their religion in their ID card, but most Christians here do not acknowledge them as Christian. What do you think?

Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeklonia View Post
In my country, the Jehovah's witnesses (I heard) would put "Christian" as their religion in their ID card, but most Christians here do not acknowledge them as Christian. What do you think?
Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in the Jesus of the Bible--He is a created being and not the eternal Son of God. He was merely "a god" and not fully God. Such doctrine excludes them from Christianity.

I was not aware that they consider themselves to be Christians.

Preterist

Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 AM

307 posts, read 479,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
I was not aware that they consider themselves to be Christians.

Preterist
On the contrary, Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves the only true Christians. The rest of us belong to Babylon the Great and will shortly find ourselves annihilated.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
On the contrary, Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves the only true Christians. The rest of us belong to Babylon the Great and will shortly find ourselves annihilated.
You are so right Elizabeth, and they pride themselves on being Jehovah's only true followers because of their reasoning of Scripture that totally is anti church traditional teachings.

What's so sad too is the fact that their founder Charles Taze Russell had such a hate for the church that he took it upon himself to prove the church wrong on many bible topics. What ended up happening is about 100 years later, we have about 7 million people who think that they are truly worshipping Jehovah and following him, when in actuality they are following the false teachings of a Charles Taze Russell who's reasoning forces them to misquote scripture, and redefine what certain Greek words mean to defend their religions position on many biblical topics.

They need our prayers.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:21 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
I have had many Jehovah's Witnesses in my home as well as Mormons. The Mormons have always insisted that they are Christians. While I believe that many JWs would claim to be Christians, I have not found that to be a major part of their "witnessing." In other words, while they may consider themselves to be Christians if pressed, I do not believe they are as forceful and blatant about it as Mormons are. At least that has been my experience.

The Jehovah's Witnesses I have met with readily agreed that my Jesus and their Jesus were very different. They would not pray with me and I would not pray with them for that very reason.

Anyway, it's just splitting hairs I guess. They profess to believe in Jesus, but their Jesus is not the Jesus of Christianity.

Preterist

Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
I dont agree with very much of their theology but i do consider them to be christians.I doubt how i view them matters very much to them regardless.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,278 times
JW's very much believe in Jesus of the Bible. They believe that Jesus is God's son as he claimed to be and fulfilled biblical prophecies regarding the messiah. They believe that he is the reigning King, given authority by his father. You do not have to "press" them to get them to proudly proclaim their status as Christians. They try to closely follow in the footsteps of Jesus.

Charles T. Russell may have started (not out of hate) the modern day "JW's", and may have stood up and pointed out the hypocracies of the "church"...but witnesses for Jehovah have been around since Abel- you know Adam's son.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:50 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
that would be impossible as Exodus clearly demonstrated that nobody knew God as jehovah.

Also, JW believe that Jesus is the Archangel Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
JW's very much believe in Jesus of the Bible. They believe that Jesus is God's son as he claimed to be and fulfilled biblical prophecies regarding the messiah. They believe that he is the reigning King, given authority by his father. You do not have to "press" them to get them to proudly proclaim their status as Christians. They try to closely follow in the footsteps of Jesus.

Charles T. Russell may have started (not out of hate) the modern day "JW's", and may have stood up and pointed out the hypocracies of the "church"...but witnesses for Jehovah have been around since Abel- you know Adam's son.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,287 times
If you define Christian as one who follows Jesus Christ, the answer is No. They don't see Jesus in that way.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:00 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
You are so right Elizabeth, and they pride themselves on being Jehovah's only true followers because of their reasoning of Scripture that totally is anti church traditional teachings.

What's so sad too is the fact that their founder Charles Taze Russell had such a hate for the church that he took it upon himself to prove the church wrong on many bible topics. What ended up happening is about 100 years later, we have about 7 million people who think that they are truly worshipping Jehovah and following him, when in actuality they are following the false teachings of a Charles Taze Russell who's reasoning forces them to misquote scripture, and redefine what certain Greek words mean to defend their religions position on many biblical topics.

They need our prayers.
The sad thing is...I am seeing a lot of other groups ,that call themself Christians, doing the same thing. (re: the sentences that I highlighted).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.